Strange icons

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:
A monochromatic icon.
Very interesting. It reminds me of the neo-classical vases I've seen from late 19th century England and France.

Reaction score
griego catolico said:
LBK said:
mike said:
Cyrillic said:
LenInSebastopol said:

Looks a bit like the Theotokos of Athos.

And was created from the very similar idea. I can't see anything wrong with the LA icon as long as the Athonite is OK.
There is the problem of the Native American "Christ" and "Mother of God" surrounded by mandorlas in the LA painting.  :police:
In looking at the photos of the glorification of St. Sebastian of San Francisco and Jackson, which took place at Saint Steven Serbian Orthodox Cathedral in Alhambra, CA, I see that a copy of the "Our Lady of the Angels" icon is enshrined there: http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/pictures/images/9wadpatririneivisit15_10_jpg.jpg
Just discovered this:

The Akathist to the Mother of God Los Angeles
Celebrated on the Saturday of Bright Week

Composed on the Holy Mountain of Athos by Athanasios, hieromonk of Simonopetra, Hymnographer of the Holy Great Church of Christ, at the pious request of the Most Reverend Bishop of Western America Maxim 2013.

Source: http://bookstore.jordanville.org/theotokosla

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I've seen them before and I don't like them. I think that the artist spends to much time trying to make the figures handsome/pretty/cute. They look more like paper dolls than icons.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Deviantart?
Well named.
Looks like they arguing for the gay & cutie crowd, or some of that prison tattoo work.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Have you ever seen Theophilia's icons? It's an RC Deviantart with very beautiful designs, I think a user of this forum has one of its icons as a prophile pic. Something in them estranges me though, I would hardly print and venerate any of those.
You're right to see them as not suitable for veneration.

Some of Theophilia's work has been discussed in the Schlock icons thread, like here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47878.msg1159737.html#msg1159737

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:
PeterTheAleut said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
I feel like this has been talked about before.
I like the icon.
And IIRC, LBK doesn't.
And why should that stop anyone from liking something?
I never said that it did. I just know that, for better or worse, LBK is our resident iconography official.
No, LBK just claims to be our resident iconography official. I'm not aware, though, that anyone has ever verified her claims to expertise in this field, and she has thus far been reluctant to name anyone who can.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
HaydenTE said:
PeterTheAleut said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
I like the icon.
And IIRC, LBK doesn't.
I never said that it did. I just know that, for better or worse, LBK is our resident iconography official.
No, LBK just claims to be our resident iconography official. I'm not aware, though, that anyone has ever verified her claims to expertise in this field, and she has thus far been reluctant to name anyone who can.
I think that she is quite knowledgeable, much more than any other poster. She is as close to an expert that we have. However,experts are at times wrong, as she may be from time to time.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
If expertise consists in regurgitating simplistic opinions as dogma without any citation (apart from occasional references to canons found on the internet) then, yes, LBK is an expert.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Maybe just maybe.......

we could stop turning every icon posted and discussed into a discussion about a person.

If that person wants to contribute, let them, but if not, just discuss without mentioning because some people can't keep from turning it into a discussion of the person and not icons.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
PeterTheAleut said:
HaydenTE said:
PeterTheAleut said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
I like the icon.
And IIRC, LBK doesn't.
Actually, I can support her claim.  I know for a fact that she knows of what she speaks.  I will not disclose more, as she seems hesitant to reveal more information about herself, and it's not my place to disclose information she wishes to keep private.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Actually, I can support her claim.  I know for a fact that she knows of what she speaks.  I will not disclose more, as she seems hesitant to reveal more information about herself, and it's not my place to disclose information she wishes to keep private.
Well, that settles it then!

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Beside discussion about LBK...

I like the second one for its textures....I can imagine what that blanket must have looked like in real life...

but i have no idea what it is of....etc..... ;)

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dominika said:
Beside discussion about LBK...

The first one is an icon of the Thetokos as a Protectress usually found in Russia. The wings refer to this scripture found in chapter 12 of Revelations.
And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
The wall behind her also has meaning. It comes the Canon to the Most Holy Mother of God.
Save from harm your servants, O Mother of God, Virgin, for we all flee to you after God, as an unshakeable wall and defense.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
RaphaCam said:
Why isn't St. Constantine depicted with a halo there? Is it because it was at some specific point of his life when he hadn't been baptised yet?
I imagine he wasn't very saintly when he was about to condemn wrongfully accused men to death without trial. 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think it's strange a bit, I mean, the giant Jesus in comparision of the rest depicted people

brlon

Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Still on people's size, the dwarves on most icons of the Theophany have always estranged me. Does anyone know the theological explanation?

Personifications of the sea and the river Jordan.
"The sea saw it and fled; Jordan was driven back.
"What troubled you, Sea, that you fled; and you, Jordan, that you were turned back?"
Psalm 113

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
This icon looks wrong, not only for the doggy. However, I looked for it because my priest himself said St. Tobit was portrayed with his pet.

I didn't find many icons of his anyway.
Well, that's Tobias, not Tobit. And you're right. Br. Lentz's icon is the only one I have ever found for sale depicting Tobias. Although I find the stylistic dissonance between the saints themselves and the animals with them displeasing, I wouldn't go far as much to say it's bad on a theological level. Compared to some of the other work of Br. Lentz, this icon is very orthodox.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:
This icon looks wrong, not only for the doggy. However, I looked for it because my priest himself said St. Tobit was portrayed with his pet.

Well, that's Tobias, not Tobit. And you're right. Br. Lentz's icon is the only one I have ever found for sale depicting Tobias. Although I find the stylistic dissonance between the saints themselves and the animals with them displeasing, I wouldn't go far as much to say it's bad on a theological level. Compared to some of the other work of Br. Lentz, this icon is very orthodox.
But the icon basically says that the angel Raphael is the mother of Tobias, who is the mother of a fish and a dog, right? 

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:

But the icon basically says that the angel Raphael is the mother of Tobias, who is the mother of a fish and a dog, right?
::) Mor, you never disappoint.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:

Not just -a- fish....that really looks like the almighty Salmon, possibly a Coho.

Was Tobias Alaskan? ;)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:

::) Mor, you never disappoint.
I'm not sure what you mean by your comment.  I'm interpreting that icon in light of opinions certain "experts" have espoused in several threads on the forum.  I don't agree with the logic, but I'm told I'm wrong, so...  :)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
brlon said:
RaphaCam said:
Still on people's size, the dwarves on most icons of the Theophany have always estranged me. Does anyone know the theological explanation?

Personifications of the sea and the river Jordan.
"The sea saw it and fled; Jordan was driven back.
"What troubled you, Sea, that you fled; and you, Jordan, that you were turned back?"
Psalm 113
A fact which our resident "expert" vigorously resisted here.