Strange icons

Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:
This icon looks wrong, not only for the doggy. However, I looked for it because my priest himself said St. Tobit was portrayed with his pet.

I didn't find many icons of his anyway.
Well, that's Tobias, not Tobit. And you're right. Br. Lentz's icon is the only one I have ever found for sale depicting Tobias. Although I find the stylistic dissonance between the saints themselves and the animals with them displeasing, I wouldn't go far as much to say it's bad on a theological level. Compared to some of the other work of Br. Lentz, this icon is very orthodox.
But the icon basically says that the angel Raphael is the mother of Tobias, who is the mother of a fish and a dog, right?

Not just -a- fish....that really looks like the almighty Salmon, possibly a Coho.

Was Tobias Alaskan? ;)
This is not an icon.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:
This icon looks wrong, not only for the doggy. However, I looked for it because my priest himself said St. Tobit was portrayed with his pet.

Well, that's Tobias, not Tobit. And you're right. Br. Lentz's icon is the only one I have ever found for sale depicting Tobias. Although I find the stylistic dissonance between the saints themselves and the animals with them displeasing, I wouldn't go far as much to say it's bad on a theological level. Compared to some of the other work of Br. Lentz, this icon is very orthodox.
But the icon basically says that the angel Raphael is the mother of Tobias, who is the mother of a fish and a dog, right?
::) Mor, you never disappoint.
I'm not sure what you mean by your comment.  I'm interpreting that icon in light of opinions certain "experts" have espoused in several threads on the forum.  I don't agree with the logic, but I'm told I'm wrong, so...  :)
I'd argue that an mandorla would have to be present to suggest motherhood. :p
On a more serious note, even though LBK know more about icons than most, she's just as fallible as the rest of us.

P.S. I meant I enjoy your comments.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I' aware of icons presenting many scenes, saints etc., but it's really A LOT:

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ywah, year menanions aren't uncommon, as I wrote (maybe not directly, sorry for htis), but I haven't seen so many feasts and different icons of the Theotokos on one icon; I Wonder how much detaield work it demands..

But, indeed, the one icon you linked it's almost the same as I'd posted, so maybe it  (I mean the type with many feasts, saints etc.) is not so uncommon.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
HaydenTE said:
RaphaCam said:

Just the fish.  Dog is "G-O-D" backwards, so he is ever present, yet not touched by Tobias.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
The common features of this image with the Robert Lentz Tobit painting is the clash of painting styles within their respective compositions: abstracted stylised saints and angels with the highly naturalistic renditions of the critters. The salmon is glistening, the dog is photographic, the hare looks warm, soft and cuddly. The dog in the Lentz work is also highly animated - one can almost hear him bark, and he sure looks like he's bouncing up and down as happy dogs so often do.

St Melangell herself is beautifully painted, but there's another problem: the fingers of her right hand are arranged uncomfortably close to that of the IC-XC clerical blessing. She was an abbess, not a priest or bishop.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see an icon of Tobias driving away Asmodeus with fish heart and liver (and I better see pyramids and Sphinx in the background)

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
I'd like to see an icon of Tobias driving away Asmodeus with fish heart and liver (and I better see pyramids and Sphinx in the background)

Sorry, no Sphinx. :p

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:
minasoliman said:

Sorry, no Sphinx. :p
Disappointed  :-\

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^ I like it. For colours, the backgroudn and beautiful epitrachelion. I don't know if th eagle, symolising America, is neccesary, but maybe it highlights the saint's missionary work in this particular land.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
^^ I like it. For colours, the backgroudn and beautiful epitrachelion. I don't know if th eagle, symolising America, is neccesary, but maybe it highlights the saint's missionary work in this particular land.
I agree, the eagle is strange, though, since St. innocent is typically shown in episcopal vestments or with white klobuk.  Hieromonk Silouan (Justiniano) has a very beautiful hand at painting....this one just struck me as odd with the saint holding an eagle.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Ok , I laughed at the way John is painted.  It looks like he's going to vomit.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Frankly speaking, I don't know if it should be considered "an Orthodox art" or "an icon" (not counting the Arabic text, as it's ofc added on computer on already existing icon).
Church of Christ "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
I love how worried the ox and ass look.
Ass:  Cool trip, right?
Ox:  You jackass!  We should be in the Nativity icon!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
hecma925 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
I love how worried the ox and ass look.
Ass:  Cool trip, right?
Ox:  You jackass!  We should be in the Nativity icon!
Or Noah's ark ;)
But where are their mates?  :(
Inside, not depicted. Or... that's the thing they're worried about.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Dominika said:
*At a time when that land was Russian  ;)

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
HaydenTE said:
Icon of the Battle of Kosovo
According to the old calendar today it's the commemoration of this battle (st. Vitus day - Vidovdan) and st. Lazar that on thi day symbolically (for the next Serbian generations) chose the Heavenly Kingdom instead of the Earth one.