Strange icons

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,400
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
LBK as always full of knowledge :D Thank you for the explanation, as I hadn't any idea what the type of icon is it, and I couldn't read "heaven and earth..." - I was also wondering, why there on the left is written "Holy Holy..." ;) Well, I'm still wondering a bit. Maybe it' more connected with the fragment of the book of the prophet Isaiah or the Apocalypsis?...
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,641
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Dominika said:
LBK as always full of knowledge :D Thank you for the explanation, as I hadn't any idea what the type of icon is it, and I couldn't read "heaven and earth..." - I was also wondering, why there on the left is written "Holy Holy..." ;) Well, I'm still wondering a bit. Maybe it' more connected with the fragment of the book of the prophet Isaiah or the Apocalypsis?...
The words Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord Sabaoth are on the left side, Heaven and earth are full of Your glory are on the right. The words are from Isaiah 6:3, and through this have become part of the Eucharistic hymn.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,400
Reaction score
18
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
LBK said:
Dominika said:
LBK as always full of knowledge :D Thank you for the explanation, as I hadn't any idea what the type of icon is it, and I couldn't read "heaven and earth..." - I was also wondering, why there on the left is written "Holy Holy..." ;) Well, I'm still wondering a bit. Maybe it' more connected with the fragment of the book of the prophet Isaiah or the Apocalypsis?...
The words Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord Sabaoth are on the left side, Heaven and earth are full of Your glory are on the right. The words are from Isaiah 6:3, and through this have become part of the Eucharistic hymn.
Yes, I know :) I'm wondering why these particular words are written next to this particular image of Christ, why not diffrent quotation from the Bible or the Liturgy. So that's why I thought that in this context these words are more like from Isaiah or Apocalypsis (I know, the words are the same, I mean the background), than from Eucharistic Canon, I mean, their more "suitable" for such kind of Christ's icon - I hope now I put it clearly.
Anyway, interesting case, rather not so common.
 

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
4,177
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Washington, PA
LBK said:
Hawkeye said:
I'm fairly certain that the iconographic standard for the Theotokos is to have a red mantle over blue in contrast to the frequent depiction of Christ wearing blue over red.
It is not simply a visual contrast.

The red tunic of Christ represents His divinity and His status as King of Kings, while the blue mantle represents His clothing with humanity through His Incarnation. The Mother of God wears a blue tunic, as she was fully human and mortal as we all are, but her mantle is red, signifying her being graced by Divinity in conceiving and bearing God Incarnate.
Yet one can find other sources which claim the opposite meanings for the colors.  Blue, the color of the sky, represents divinity and red, the color of blood, represents humanity.  Christ's blue over red represents his clothing our humanity with his divinity, the Birth-giver's red over blue represents her containing the divinity within her womb.  And of course we have the mosaics of Hagia Sophia and other churches of Constantinople, wear blue and gold predominate most icons of the Christ and his Mother. 
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,641
Reaction score
0
Points
0
biro said:
I can't see too well. Is that the Devil, or a dead person?
It's the personification of sin and death, bound and chained. I agree about the angels having at him, though. Artistic license going a little too far.  :p
 

kelly

Protokentarchos
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
3,812
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Nephi said:
"Mother of God and Emanuel in traditional Ukrainian regional garb."

I really like this one. I sent it to Liza some months ago.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,173
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
LBK said:
biro said:
I can't see too well. Is that the Devil, or a dead person?
It's the personification of sin and death, bound and chained. I agree about the angels having at him, though. Artistic license going a little too far.  :p
Okay, thanks.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,607
Reaction score
54
Points
48
Age
159
Location
The South
biro said:
That's actually the least strange one on this thread.
Nah, angels choking out the personification of sin and death is less strange.  And Ukrainian Theotokos and Child is cute.
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
19,607
Reaction score
54
Points
48
Age
159
Location
The South
                       


Christ gives enormous blessings.                  His eyebrows are weirding me out.


 

mctaviix

High Elder
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
809
Reaction score
0
Points
0
hecma925 said:
                       


    His eyebrows are weirding me out.
I actually really like this icon.  Looks very realistic for an icon.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,173
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
hecma925 said:
                         


Christ gives enormous blessings.                   His eyebrows are weirding me out.
Angels have eyebrows?  ???
 
Top