Strange icons

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
LBK as always full of knowledge :D Thank you for the explanation, as I hadn't any idea what the type of icon is it, and I couldn't read "heaven and earth..." - I was also wondering, why there on the left is written "Holy Holy..." ;) Well, I'm still wondering a bit. Maybe it' more connected with the fragment of the book of the prophet Isaiah or the Apocalypsis?...

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
LBK as always full of knowledge :D Thank you for the explanation, as I hadn't any idea what the type of icon is it, and I couldn't read "heaven and earth..." - I was also wondering, why there on the left is written "Holy Holy..." ;) Well, I'm still wondering a bit. Maybe it' more connected with the fragment of the book of the prophet Isaiah or the Apocalypsis?...
The words Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord Sabaoth are on the left side, Heaven and earth are full of Your glory are on the right. The words are from Isaiah 6:3, and through this have become part of the Eucharistic hymn.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
LBK said:
Dominika said:
The words Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord Sabaoth are on the left side, Heaven and earth are full of Your glory are on the right. The words are from Isaiah 6:3, and through this have become part of the Eucharistic hymn.
Yes, I know :) I'm wondering why these particular words are written next to this particular image of Christ, why not diffrent quotation from the Bible or the Liturgy. So that's why I thought that in this context these words are more like from Isaiah or Apocalypsis (I know, the words are the same, I mean the background), than from Eucharistic Canon, I mean, their more "suitable" for such kind of Christ's icon - I hope now I put it clearly.
Anyway, interesting case, rather not so common.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LBK said:
Hawkeye said:
I'm fairly certain that the iconographic standard for the Theotokos is to have a red mantle over blue in contrast to the frequent depiction of Christ wearing blue over red.
It is not simply a visual contrast.

The red tunic of Christ represents His divinity and His status as King of Kings, while the blue mantle represents His clothing with humanity through His Incarnation. The Mother of God wears a blue tunic, as she was fully human and mortal as we all are, but her mantle is red, signifying her being graced by Divinity in conceiving and bearing God Incarnate.
Yet one can find other sources which claim the opposite meanings for the colors.  Blue, the color of the sky, represents divinity and red, the color of blood, represents humanity.  Christ's blue over red represents his clothing our humanity with his divinity, the Birth-giver's red over blue represents her containing the divinity within her womb.  And of course we have the mosaics of Hagia Sophia and other churches of Constantinople, wear blue and gold predominate most icons of the Christ and his Mother. 

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
I can't see too well. Is that the Devil, or a dead person?
It's the personification of sin and death, bound and chained. I agree about the angels having at him, though. Artistic license going a little too far.  :p

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Nephi said:
"Mother of God and Emanuel in traditional Ukrainian regional garb."

I really like this one. I sent it to Liza some months ago.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
LBK said:
biro said:
I can't see too well. Is that the Devil, or a dead person?
It's the personification of sin and death, bound and chained. I agree about the angels having at him, though. Artistic license going a little too far.  :p
Okay, thanks.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
biro said:
That's actually the least strange one on this thread.
Nah, angels choking out the personification of sin and death is less strange.  And Ukrainian Theotokos and Child is cute.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score

Christ gives enormous blessings.                  His eyebrows are weirding me out.

mctaviix

High Elder
Reaction score
hecma925 said:

His eyebrows are weirding me out.
I actually really like this icon.  Looks very realistic for an icon.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
hecma925 said:

Christ gives enormous blessings.                   His eyebrows are weirding me out.
Angels have eyebrows?  ???