• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Strange icons

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Mor Ephrem said:
RaphaCam said:
Mor Ephrem said:
RaphaCam said:
St. Justin Martyr would list him a Christian.
Oh?
Chapter 46

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0126.htm
That's a very particular application for a very particular purpose.  I doubt Hippocrates would've been communed without baptism based on this.
Sure, but maybe whoever did this art was thinking about that. Or it's just Hellenism indeed. :p

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Certainly interesting, and white, IMHO, could just as easily sybolize heaven and divinity as much as red does, but then the blue loses its meaning. If we are going to use white, we should use red rather than blue. The white for heaven and divine light, the red for flesh and blood. Isn't this how it is done in Coptic icons anyway?

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Clearly based off of this image from the Catacomb of Priscilla

I thought that the woman in the catacomb was a woman who had been buried there, not the Mother of God.

Keble

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
There's another variant of the Virgin of the Sign which also shows the child in the womb as an actual unclothed infant but with a less naturalistic posture.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
A reminder:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,47878.msg1095466.html#msg1095466 (and posts that follow)

and

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39397.msg681004.html#msg681004

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
I read the information at those links and still see nothing wrong with that icon.
It does not conform to any of the Canonical Types (tm) listed in the Sacred LBK Database.

Cognomen

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Archdiocese of Baghdad, Kuwait and Dependencies
I'm not sure what's wrong with it, per se (and I'm no authority), but it does seem strange, as in the "Strange Icons" thread, to have a pregnant Theotokos and unborn Christ.

So in that sense, it does seem to differ and be anomalous to most accepted traditional depictions. Perhaps that's what LBK's criticism is.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
At a certain point in time the Theotokos of Vladimir or the Rublev Trinity would have probably looked a bit odd too.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
At a certain point in time the Theotokos of Vladimir or the Rublev Trinity would have probably looked a bit odd too.
I'm sure there was an LBK back then too.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^ yes. But most of them is difficult to recognise (at least for me).

A Georgian icon

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
mike said:
There are no primates  of Catholic Churches.
Now that you mentioned, it seems there actually are, but they're not what I thought they meant. I meant "leader of a sui juris church" but it's actually just a title given to important Latin rite bishops: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primate_(bishop)

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
mike said:
There are no primates  of Catholic Churches.
Now that you mentioned, it seems there actually are, but they're not what I thought they meant. I meant "leader of a sui juris church" but it's actually just a title given to important Latin rite bishops: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primate_(bishop)
You mentioned it.

And there aren't as that picture depicts recent Crete council, where there weren't any Catholic primates. And a good part of the bishops is easily recognizable.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
RaphaCam said:
I recognised many of them as Orthodox bishops, but I thought two of them were Patriarchs Gregory (Melkite) and Bechara (Maronite).
The last one would have different hat (like Alexandrian pope).
Anyway, despite wathing these faces everyday, I can't recognise most of them.
But maybe it's because I generally have problems to remember (most of) faces and it sometimes leads to stupid and/or funny situations...:laugh:

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Dominika said:
RaphaCam said:
I recognised many of them as Orthodox bishops, but I thought two of them were Patriarchs Gregory (Melkite) and Bechara (Maronite).
The last one would have different hat (like Alexandrian pope).
Anyway, despite wathing these faces everyday, I can't recognise most of them.
But maybe it's because I generally have problems to remember (most of) faces and it sometimes leads to stupid and/or funny situations...:laugh:
I also suffer from face amnesia.