Strange icons

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Where did you find about that piece of awesome?
It was brought to church on Sunday by the Ft Ross docent who found it.  She had previously discussed and shown it to the abbess of a local monastery and our clergy.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
That's nuts. It must have taken quite a bit of work. I'd love to hear the artist's rationale- hopefully he'll come forward.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Elisha said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Elisha said:
Another attempt.
LOL.
It kept saying the file was too big when I tried uploading from my iphone...even though it is only 92K when I upload to FB then download to my desktop.
Sorry.  I was LOLing at the icon, not your attempt to share it. 

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Iconodule said:
That's nuts. It must have taken quite a bit of work. I'd love to hear the artist's rationale- hopefully he'll come forward.
What if it's "not made by hands"?
And/or...not made by a sane person?  (You know....coping the surrounding Mac form of wiki instead of just the image)

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Elisha said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Iconodule said:
What if it's "not made by hands"?
And/or...not made by a sane person?  (You know....coping the surrounding Mac form of wiki instead of just the image)
maybe they wanted to get it more realistic

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Ugh! This icon is clearly uncanonical.
It lacks the proper IC XC and cruciform halo.  :p

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:

Ugh! This icon is clearly uncanonical.
It lacks the proper IC XC and cruciform halo.  :p
The Trump hands are unsettling.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Re: The first one, I have seen some advocating for Dmitri (Royster)'s canonization. (I have no opinion, since I know little about him except that he retired not long after I started attending a DOS church.) I've been watching with one eye for the Internet to crank out an icon of him and a couple of other celebrated American Orthodox who died in recent years.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
What's strange about the St Dmitri of Rostov icon? (aside from it being rather bland)

On second thought, he is blessing with two fingers, which would be unlikely.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
What's strange about the St Dmitri of Rostov icon? (aside from it being rather bland)

I think it was in comparison to the one "of Dallas."

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Just Google icons of St. Dmitri of Rostov and tell me what you see.  Im on my phone, so its a bit hard to get the image tag right.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Iconodule said:

I think it was in comparison to the one "of Dallas."
Yes.  The "of Rostov" icon is in the Cathedral in Dallas, which gives me a hearty laff.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Well, there is a limitted number of ways one can paint bald old men with gray bears. Or any other type of person, actually. All women on icons also look the same.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
The person who wrote the second icon probably just messed it up when writing the name, St. Dmitri of Rostov looks very different in other icons.
No, it was quite intentional.  The same person painted both.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
I don't know.  Maybe scrape off "of Rostov" when the time comes.  Saves time.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
Not only bland, but this is how he is usually depicted (I've never seen an "old man" looking version of him):

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
The depiction is a bit icky, and not an essential detail, but it does have a reason. From the life if the saint:

Thrown into prison, Paraskevi asked God to give her the strength to face the terror which awaited her. Antonius again continued the torture by having her hung by her hair and her hands and arms burned with torches. The Saint suffered greatly, but had the will not to submit to the pain. Antonius then prepared a large kettle of oil and tar, boiled the mixture and then had Paraskevi immersed in it. Miraculously she stood as if she were being cooled rather than burned. Angered, Antonius thought that she was using magic to keep the contents cool, but the Saint told him that he could test it. She took some of the boiling liquid and threw it in the Emperor's face. It burned his eyes and blinded him. She stepped out of the kettle and went to Antonius, telling him that only the Christian God could cure him. Immediately, he regained his sight and humbled by the miracle he freed the Saint and ended all persecutions against the Christians throughout the Roman Empire.

St Paraskevi's intercession is often invoked by people with eye ailments.

Eyes painted into a platter are surely better than this sort of depiction. The paintings are of St Lucia of Syracuse, who was blinded as part of her martyrdom:

Detail of the above:

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Why is St. Raphael standing on a fish?
The fish is part of the story of Tobias and the archangel, in the OT book of Tobit.  :)

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

Is this a common thing, icons of Adam and Eve? With halos? Are the considered saints in the Orthodox Church?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:

Is this a common thing, icons of Adam and Eve? With halos? Are the considered saints in the Orthodox Church?
Icons of Adam and Eve are not common. However, Adam and Eve, along with the other OT figures who form Christ's genealogy, are commemorated liturgically in the Sunday of the Forefathers, prior to the Nativity of Christ. Therefore icons of them are fine.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LBK said:
HaydenTE said:

Icons of Adam and Eve are not common. However, Adam and Eve, along with the other OT figures who form Christ's genealogy, are commemorated liturgically in the Sunday of the Forefathers, prior to the Nativity of Christ. Therefore icons of them are fine.
Interesting, so it is not common see them venerated individually. but in the context of Christ's ancestors. It is a showing of God's mercy, that even those who started the chain of sin can be made venerable.