Strange icons

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Father Hopko didn't like that kind of thing (which I would guess would include saint image mousepads, but I never heard him talk about that specifically), either. He didn't even like photos of icons in places where they were likely to be destroyed (cheap paperback covers) or deleted (desktop wallpaper).

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
rakovsky said:
Once when I visited Jordanville, I set the items I got there on the floor, and a monk saw it and said I shouldn't put ikons on the floor.

I wonder then, what about mouse pads that use saints' images. Are they acceptable?
We have a thread for this: Schlock Orthoproducts ;)

thenerdpaul

Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Father Hopko didn't like that kind of thing (which I would guess would include saint image mousepads, but I never heard him talk about that specifically), either. He didn't even like photos of icons in places where they were likely to be destroyed (cheap paperback covers) or deleted (desktop wallpaper).
If it isn't tangible, it's not an icon as far as I'm concerned. But yeah, it bothers me how easy it is to make an icon these days. For example, I get fundraising stuff in the mail from various Orthodox groups on a regular basis, and it bothers me that they print all these icons in their newsletters and whatnot which will inevitably be destroyed. Not much we can do about it though.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I love those! It's like a Seraphim protest march.Where is that?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
biro said:
The first one is most interesting. Is that the Annunciation?
I think it's st. apostle Luke being taught by an angel to paint/write icons.

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
It would be even better with an angel slicing off the Jew's hands.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^yeah, without the aureole it would be correct, since depicting a certain person on frescoes and icons is one of the signals for the Church that this he/she is considered by people to be a saint, that's venerated.

Zephyr7

Reaction score
The Mandilion (the one with the neck) is the work of one of the most renowned modern icon painter, Archimandrit Zinon Theodore.

The modeling of the face is typical to Zinon's style and based on early Christian art. In contrary to other images, e.g. Russian icons, the picture features a very distinct thick nose, large yeys and... a neck which is usually not painted on this type of icon.

As to the second icon, the "Dormition",  I would say it is an avant-garde icon. The modeling, colour choice and ornaments are very subtle and geometric, it looks very different from traditional Dormitrion icons.

We should not forget that the most essential function of each icon is prayer - and I would ask a question: is it possible to pray with that icon? I'm getting mixed feelings....

Someone said the interpretation is very "sweet" - well, it should not be... An icon painter should avoid excessive sentimentality and to some extent, avoid showing emotions in icons.

It is definitelly an amazing piece of art, but decorative art :)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Zephyr7 said:
The Mandilion (the one with the neck) is the work of one of the most renowned modern icon painter, Archimandrit Zinon Theodore.

The modeling of the face is typical to Zinon's style and based on early Christian art. In contrary to other images, e.g. Russian icons, the picture features a very distinct thick nose, large yeys and... a neck which is usually not painted on this type of icon.

As to the second icon, the "Dormition",  I would say it is an avant-garde icon. The modeling, colour choice and ornaments are very subtle and geometric, it looks very different from traditional Dormitrion icons.

We should not forget that the most essential function of each icon is prayer - and I would ask a question: is it possible to pray with that icon? I'm getting mixed feelings....

Someone said the interpretation is very "sweet" - well, it should not be... An icon painter should avoid excessive sentimentality and to some extent, avoid showing emotions in icons.

It is definitelly an amazing piece of art, but decorative art :)
I love the Dormition icon.  And it will always be sweet that as Christ looks upon the body of His Mother, he lovingly holds her soul, just as she cradled Him in the world.  I wouldn't even describe the icon too be over-sentimental, but the gaze of Son to Mother is wonderful.  And, yes, it is prayerful and worthy of contemplation.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
juliogb said:
Dominika said:

Is it armenian?
Armenian or Georgian (they have 3 different alphabets, at least one of them was probably based on the Armenian one created by st. Mesrop), our Armenian posters could answer ;)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Is there some official or semi-official guideline on how to construct hodge-podge creatures for icons?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I don't think so, but I've seen that dragon-bird thing in other places. In this case it looks like it's supposed to represent paganism/ occultism.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Iconodule said:
I don't think so, but I've seen that dragon-bird thing in other places. In this case it looks like it's supposed to represent paganism/ occultism.
"New World Order"
Okay, I see it now. "Occult movement, paganism, new world order." What's Macedonian for, "I strongly recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future"?

Zephyr7

Reaction score
Woow, what is this icon? Who is the Saint - and why the leg?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Zephyr7 said:
Woow, what is this icon? Who is the Saint - and why the leg?
Saint Unmercenary PhysiciansCosma and Damian Saint operating (a kind of transplantation? they were also wonderworkers).

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
If it were a protestant, I don't think it would make sense to depict him as a pious patron. Saint James would be stomping on him or making him dance or take Christmas off or something grievous for Protestants like that. I believe that style of dress was pretty widespread beyond protestants.