Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Iconodule said:
If it were a protestant, I don't think it would make sense to depict him as a pious patron. Saint James would be stomping on him or making him dance or take Christmas off or something grievous for Protestants like that. I believe that style of dress was pretty widespread beyond protestants.
Exactly.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Iconodule said:
If it were a protestant, I don't think it would make sense to depict him as a pious patron. Saint James would be stomping on him or making him dance or take Christmas off or something grievous for Protestants like that. I believe that style of dress was pretty widespread beyond protestants.
I thought it might represent doubtful Protestants bowing down to the wisdom of the throne of St. James or something, or maybe a particular episode of Protestants converting to Orthodoxy. IDK, you have a good point anyway. Maybe it's just the iconographer Bouniales introducing himself and the chronological proximity to the council is mere coincidence.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Iconodule said:
I thought it might represent doubtful Protestants bowing down to the wisdom of the throne of St. James or something, or maybe a particular episode of Protestants converting to Orthodoxy. IDK, you have a good point anyway. Maybe it's just the iconographer Bouniales introducing himself and the chronological proximity to the council is mere coincidence.
That's how patrons had been represented for centuries by then. I don't see the figure as a mystery.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^ Their fingers!!! I also don't know why legs of st. Nektarios are shown?..

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
It wouldn't look out of place as a medallion on a ceiling or a minor dome.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
That latter one looks like it might be the Romanian New Martyrs under Communism.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Antonis said:
That latter one looks like it might be the Romanian New Martyrs under Communism.
Yes, there are presented Romanian Martyrs under Communism.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Saint Marina:

Saint Basil the Great:

You can buy both online here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/277025242/antique-1901-year-handmade-hand-painted?ref=shop_home_active_3
https://www.etsy.com/listing/290538307/antique-19th-century-handmade-hand?ref=related-2

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^Love it! But it should be written in Coptic ;> (aghh, panhellenism)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
Antonis said:
  Most of them iron guardsists.
::)
the reason not one of them has been canonized yet despite popular piety etc. the patriarchate realizes what a PR disaster that would be within the current climate.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
Antonis said:
the reason not one of them has been canonized yet despite popular piety etc. the patriarchate realizes what a PR disaster that would be within the current climate.
"The current climate"?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
Antonis said:
"The current climate"?
they gotta keep an eye to the EU , NGO's  etc.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
Antonis said:
"The current climate"?
Which Romanian New Martyrs are you referring to? Altho I doubt it, perhaps there's a sincere misunderstanding here. Please give us the names.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
Antonis said:
"The current climate"?
Which Romanian New Martyrs are you referring to? Altho I doubt it, perhaps there's a sincere misunderstanding here. Please give us the names.
I'm referring to most of them.  check Valeriu Gafencu or Ilarion Felea off the top of my head.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
Dominika said:
Antonis said:
"The current climate"?
I'm referring to most of them.  check Valeriu Gafencu or Ilarion Felea off the top of my head.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
As an orthodox it was really hard to get in trouble with the communist authorities. It had to be either links to the Legion, or, in some cases, being part of the no longer recognized by the hierarchy organization " The Lord's Army".

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
As an orthodox it was really hard to get in trouble with the communist authorities.
Which alternate Romania are you from? Or do you think posters here won't have read any of the copious available literature detailing life under Ceausescu et al.? There were methods of torture and psychological abuse implemented there that were objectively worse than under any other regime. Apparently you're counting on our ignorance to push your anti-Orthodox message, but no European or even American is that ignorant. What a shameful display.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
augustin717 said:
As an orthodox it was really hard to get in trouble with the communist authorities.
Which alternate Romania are you from? Or do you think posters here won't have read any of the copious available literature detailing life under Ceausescu et al.? There were methods of torture and psychological abuse implemented there that were objectively worse than under any other regime. Apparently you're counting on our ignorance to push your anti-Orthodox message, but no European or even American is that ignorant. What a shameful display.
read The Wikipedia at least so that you don't sound like an ignoramus.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
https://artandtheology.org/2018/01/06/contemporary-icons-of-the-baptism-of-christ/

Contemporary Theophany icons. Most are not really my taste!

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
https://artandtheology.org/2018/01/06/contemporary-icons-of-the-baptism-of-christ/

Wow. Suitableness aside, those are much better than I was expecting.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Antonis said:

Quite funny and interesting that most of the are Polish and Ukrainian.

This one is theologically interesting, as it reminds so much the icon "extreme Humility" of the Great Saturday and, moreover, Christ is put in a cross:

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
Alpo said:
Dominika said:
^^Love it! But it should be written in Coptic ;>
Why? He's a Greek Pope in a Greek church.
I know. But it would be nice to show a kind of respect to the Native (Orthodox) Egyptians.
Do Copts go to the Greek Church?
It happenes.