Strange icons

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
What city is that below her?
After some searching I've figured out that it's probably Leningrad. The Siege of Leningrad ended on her feast day (January 14th/27th).

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
HaydenTE said:

Theodore of Novgorod
While it's hard to read out at first glance, the inscription above his head actually names him as St. Nicholas the Blessed, St. Theodore's fellow fool-for-Christ in Novgorod and a frequent sparring partner.

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
What's with the hat? What it is supposed to be? A pink skufia?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Looks like it's got those old Magic: The Gathering mana stones at the corners.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpo said:
What's with the hat? What it is supposed to be? A pink skufia?
It's a high-powered drill, for when he is surrounded by heretics and has to make a quick getaway to his underground lair.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The icon on the right is of the Romanian Valeriu Gafencu, so presumably it's the communist prisons.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
biro said:
Where is the scene taking place?
http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2011/02/saint-valeriu-gafencu-new-confessor.html?m=1

A Vision of the Theotokos Before His Death

During the night of his last Christmas, towards dawn, Valeriu testified to his friend loan Ianolide:

"Amazed, I lifted my gaze and at the head my bed I saw the Mother of God, clothed in white, vivid, real. She was without her child. Her presence seemed material to me. The Mother of God was actually beside me. I was happy. I forgot everything. Time seemed endless. Then she said to me:

‘I am your love! Don’t be afraid. Don’t doubt. My Son will be victorious. He has sanctified this place now for future life. The powers of darkness are growing and will frighten the world still more, but they will be scattered. My Son is waiting for people to return to faith. Today, the sons of darkness are bolder than the sons of light. Even though it may seem to you that there is no more faith left on earth, nevertheless, know that deliverance will come, albeit through fire and devastation. The world still has to suffer. Here, however, there is still much faith and I have come to encourage you. Be bold, the world belongs to Christ!’"

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
The icon on the right is of the Romanian Valeriu Gafencu, so presumably it's the communist prisons.
Gotta love Iron Guard Confessors...

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Volnutt said:
Iconodule said:
Gotta love Iron Guard Confessors...
He was a twenty year old student wrapped in the youth wing of a questionable political organisation at the time of his arrest, who later gave deep examples of Christian life in prison. Labelling him an Iron Guard Confessor makes it sound like we canonised him for killing enough Jews or something.  :p

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
One of the Russian monasteries. See on the left, in the middle - "addicted to the Internet". So, we, that are active in this forum, know our future :(

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Steve Jobs really is the Antichrist!

That is kind of a clever reference though- apples, original sin, etc. if it was intentional.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
Jackson02 said:
I've never seen an icon of the martyrdom of St. Kyril of Kazan.

We should non-ironically have more icons more or less like this one. The contrast is amazing and makes a statement.
Not a strange icon at all, but it is simply a side panel of a much larger icon of the Russian new Martyrs and Confessors. Other side panels depict the martyrdoms and trials of other saints. Such panels flesh out details of the life of a saint or groups of saints, but in general are not venerated as stand-alone icons, but as an ensemble.

Here is the complete icon from where the above panel is derived:

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LBK said:
RaphaCam said:
Jackson02 said:
I've never seen an icon of the martyrdom of St. Kyril of Kazan.

We should non-ironically have more icons more or less like this one. The contrast is amazing and makes a statement.
Not a strange icon at all, but it is simply a side panel of a much larger icon of the Russian new Martyrs and Confessors. Other side panels depict the martyrdoms and trials of other saints. Such panels flesh out details of the life of a saint or groups of saints, but in general are not venerated as stand-alone icons, but as an ensemble.

Here is the complete icon from where the above panel is derived:

Ah. Thank you for clearing this up.