Strange icons

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Brilko said:
HaydenTE said:
Demons rejoicing over a haphazardly made sign of the cross. (My apologies for the large size, still not sure how to modify it.)
img height=600 inside the first two brackets would get you...
this is an old believer icon he has a lestovka in the other hand :)

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Orthodox_Slav said:
Brilko said:
HaydenTE said:
Demons rejoicing over a haphazardly made sign of the cross. (My apologies for the large size, still not sure how to modify it.)
Except old believers would think the demons would enjoy the three fingered version, but this man is using the two fingered sign of the cross.

It might be synodal, actually.

I have more examples of that type of image , less icons.and more lubok.

Three guesses as to who produced these lubok.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Briven said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
Brilko said:
HaydenTE said:
Except old believers would think the demons would enjoy the three fingered version, but this man is using the two fingered sign of the cross.

Three guesses as to who produced this lubok.
even though I absolutely am in love with luboks as they are a big part of the Slavic culture I hate to see them, used like this!

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Briven said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
Brilko said:
HaydenTE said:

Three guesses as to who produced these lubok.
The source claims that it’s Old Believer, and that the issue isn’t the fingering, but rather that the sign was made without the man actually taking the time to touch the four points of the cross on his body.The text is a sermon by St. John Chrysostom on the matter.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Even more lubok

creation of adam and eve

the ressurection

the holy trinity

the theotokos

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jackson02 said:
I don't know if this technically counts, but lord have mercy!

The wife of the husband who did that as a “joke” would not be in my opinion acting unreasonably if she were to divorce him.  This image also poses a graphic warning about the dangers for Orthodox who marry heretics.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
that's just sinful if I had a wife who did that I would be raging mad and not speak to her for ages!

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Orthodox_Slav said:
that's just sinful if I had a wife who did that I would be raging mad and not speak to her for ages!
Yeah, that will teach her a lesson!

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Orthodox_Slav said:
hecma925 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
well, what do you want me to do smack her!
Play aloud each night several hours of the audio book version of "The Collected Works of Fr. Seraphim Rose"?  :p

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
hecma925 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
It's a free country right!
right!  :( right! :( (police sirens in the backround)

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Jackson02 said:
I don't know if this technically counts, but lord have mercy!

The wife of the husband who did that as a “joke” would not be in my opinion acting unreasonably if she were to divorce him.  This image also poses a graphic warning about the dangers for Orthodox who marry heretics.
+1

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
hecma925 said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
Play aloud each night several hours of the audio book version of "The Collected Works of Fr. Seraphim Rose"?  :p
I need to do this in my university!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I mean uncovered hair of the Theotokos:

Of course, it's westernised a lot, but even so, quite unusual:

A detail: I used to think that in the Hades there were some white unamed things (bones?)....

The flag over the Mystical Supper (patronage of Romania?)

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dominika said:
I mean uncovered hair of the Theotokos:
well, the story goes a priest was cutting grass and he saw the icon on the floor glowing with light and yes strangely this may be the only icon were the Theotokos is depicted with uncovered hair!!! :eek:

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
^^ there is one icon in Poland (from the Holy Mount Jawor) where the Holy Theotokos has Her hair covered, but the head scarf is transparent:

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Dominika said:
^^ there is one icon in Poland (from the Holy Mount Jawor) where the Holy Theotokos has Her hair covered, but the head scarf is transparent:

ahh, what is the story behind this beautiful icon!

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Orthodox_Slav said:
ahh, what is the story behind this beautiful icon!
I wrote about it some months ago:

Dominika said:
Porter ODoran said:
Thank you!

What is the story of Mt. Jawor?
During the interwar period on this mount there were apparitions of the Holy Theotokos. After this such icon was made:

After these apparitions some people were healed, also from the demonic possesions. One of the women heard a few times in her dreams the Theotokos, saying that Lemkos would be expelled from their homeland and that the chapel on the mount would be abandoned and desacralised for a few decades. And all these things happend (Action Vistula - Akcja Wisła, communist period in Poland...).

The problem is that the apparitions took place in the period that Lemkos were coming back step by step to Orthodoxy; so, some of them that time were becoming Orthodox, while other were still for some times Greek Catholic (in the end the majority became Orthodox). So, there is a conflict between the Polish Orthodox Church and the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. A few months ago the UGCC got rights to the church on the mount. But the Orthodox Church had got earlier, as a kind of compensation, some terrain on the mount. So, the Orthodox Liturgies are now on a field altar (I mean, under a tent), until the time the construction of the Orthodox church begins and ends. Before the trial the church on the mount was being used by both communities. But, thanks to God, the Holy Theotokos appeared on the ground that belong to the Orthodox Church, not in the place that (now Greek Catholic) chapel is built.

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
this is made by an orthodox layperson and is an icon but uses a more casual art style and they got the halo wrong and wrote W O N when it should be O W N

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Orthodox_Slav said:
this is made by an orthodox layperson and is an icon but uses a more casual art style and they got the halo wrong and wrote W O N when it should be O W N
There's an error in the halo, but it's not the order of the letters. Icons which follow Greek tradition are more likely to have the order as W O N (omega at the top), icons painted in Slavic tradition mainly have the letters as O W N (omega on the left).

The error in the halo is in the lines which make up a cross around Christ's head. There should be one single line and a double line making up the cross, nine lines altogether. The number represents the nine ranks of angels and bodiless powers who serve Him.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
That must be the Theotokos in the thing the angel is holding on the left. Is that St. Philip on the right?

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
biro said:
That must be the Theotokos in the thing the angel is holding on the left. Is that St. Philip on the right?
Nah, that there is the Lord Jesus Christ.
you can tell by the halo its has got a cross inside of it!