Strange icons

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com

More of a lubok than an icon, but has an interesting representation of Christ as Holy Wisdom, but with the halo typically used for God the Father in icons.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Jackson02 said:
St Andre Rublev.

Has the dead eyes of Lentz's work.
Yeah, not too dissimilar. I do like the little detail of the half-completed Hospitality of Abraham in the background (though that also somehow seems like something Lentz would do).

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Volnutt said:
hecma925 said:
Dominika said:
^^ interesting!

Strange, but I like it.
+1, anybody know its provenance?

This is a type of Theotokos Akhtirskaya, where she is contemplating crucified Christ. This is from Roman Catholic art and leaked into the Orthodox world during latinization, think Seven Arrows icon.

The icon is kind of weird as Christ is a child and she embraces the crucifix.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Briven said:
Yeah, that's what I mean by posting this icon there.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Briven said:
This is a type of Theotokos Akhtirskaya, where she is contemplating crucified Christ. This is from Roman Catholic art and leaked into the Orthodox world during latinization, think Seven Arrows icon.

Thanks. Though I don't think it's any weirder than Jesus with a grape vine coming out of His side, or Jesus in a cup about to be drank or Jesus sitting in an ahistorical stone coffin while the Theotokos hugs Him. I mean, He isn't supposed to be quite a child in these sorts of depictions, but more of some kind of an adult-child, isn't He?

Orthodox_Slav

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Briven said:

Thanks. Though I don't think it's any weirder than Jesus with a grape vine coming out of His side, or Jesus in a cup about to be drank or Jesus sitting in an ahistorical stone coffin while the Theotokos hugs Him. I mean, He isn't supposed to be quite a child in these sorts of depictions, but more of some kind of an adult-child, isn't He?
In reality the story is a bit different a man was farming when he saw the icon on the floor glowing with light so he picked it up and it was declared a icon not made by hands by the church !

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Not really strange, as such, but in a strange place: someone's bedroom in the video game Kingdom Come.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnjWvSXgrq_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jiwngldgcata

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Having icons in your bedroom is strange? That'd be about the only place in this house that I could put them.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Not really strange, as such, but in a strange place: someone's bedroom in the video game Kingdom Come.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnjWvSXgrq_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=jiwngldgcata
Oh wait, or do you mean "strange that it's in a video game?"

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Jackson02 said:
hecma925 said:
Jackson02 said:
St Andre Rublev.

Who exactly is Lentz?
Controversial Franciscan iconographer known for going off the rails and using pagan imagery and slapping IC XC on it.  Like his famous “horned god” Christ.  He actual got in trouble with his provincial superior for that one.
https://www.trinitystores.com/artist/br-robert-lentz-ofm

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LBK said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
this is made by an orthodox layperson and is an icon but uses a more casual art style and they got the halo wrong and wrote W O N when it should be O W N
There's an error in the halo, but it's not the order of the letters. Icons which follow Greek tradition are more likely to have the order as W O N (omega at the top), icons painted in Slavic tradition mainly have the letters as O W N (omega on the left).

The error in the halo is in the lines which make up a cross around Christ's head. There should be one single line and a double line making up the cross, nine lines altogether. The number represents the nine ranks of angels and bodiless powers who serve Him.
Is there a specific canonical orientation for the double lines?

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
Jackson02 said:
hecma925 said:
Jackson02 said:
St Andre Rublev.

Who exactly is Lentz?
Controversial Franciscan iconographer known for going off the rails and using pagan imagery and slapping IC XC on it.  Like his famous “horned god” Christ.  He actual got in trouble with his provincial superior for that one.
This Rublev painting was done by one of Lentz's students.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
Jackson02 said:
hecma925 said:
Jackson02 said:
St Andre Rublev.

Who exactly is Lentz?
Wow. I'm surprised he hasn't received more attention from the archbishop of Baltimore.

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
LBK said:
Orthodox_Slav said:
this is made by an orthodox layperson and is an icon but uses a more casual art style and they got the halo wrong and wrote W O N when it should be O W N
There's an error in the halo, but it's not the order of the letters. Icons which follow Greek tradition are more likely to have the order as W O N (omega at the top), icons painted in Slavic tradition mainly have the letters as O W N (omega on the left).

The error in the halo is in the lines which make up a cross around Christ's head. There should be one single line and a double line making up the cross, nine lines altogether. The number represents the nine ranks of angels and bodiless powers who serve Him.
Is there a specific canonical orientation for the double lines?
Seeing as three of the world's most famous icons do not follow this rule, I'm guessing no such specific canon exists.