• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Strange icons

LukeDM

Reaction score
I mean, yeah it's cute and all (very cute, really), but I'm not sure what it's trying to say. Seems really ambiguous and sentimental to me.

Stinky

Reaction score
Does anyone feel remotely uncomfortable making fun of icons (or pictures) that don't meet up to Orthodox standards yet somehow depict a person we love and honor?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Does anyone have the image saved of the large free-standing icon in (I think) a Coptic parish with lights running around the outside/frame?

LukeDM

Reaction score
Does anyone feel remotely uncomfortable making fun of icons (or pictures) that don't meet up to Orthodox standards yet somehow depict a person we love and honor?
To me, it's more of a criticism of the teaching behind the icon. If somebody drew a picture of your own father with no ears, wouldn't you think it was funny? Would you possibly joke to your father about it? Of course I don't intend any disrespect to the Theotokos. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't make sense, and icons are not intended to just depict any old subject we want, especially without historical precedent. Read the responses of the Fathers to those who held erroneous opinions. They were often very acrimonious and oftentimes very snarky in responding to beliefs they found to be wrong. I don't see any problem in discussing the finer points of iconography, whether its veiled in a layer of humor or not.

Stinky

Reaction score
To me, it's more of a criticism of the teaching behind the icon. If somebody drew a picture of your own father with no ears, wouldn't you think it was funny? Would you possibly joke to your father about it? Of course I don't intend any disrespect to the Theotokos. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't make sense, and icons are not intended to just depict any old subject we want, especially without historical precedent. Read the responses of the Fathers to those who held erroneous opinions. They were often very acrimonious and oftentimes very snarky in responding to beliefs they found to be wrong. I don't see any problem in discussing the finer points of iconography, whether its veiled in a layer of humor or not.
Thank you for explaining this. It's a delicate tightrope.

brlon

Reaction score
Strange or schlock? Or none of both?

This appears to reflect words found towards the end of the prayer recited by the priest during the Cherubikon (".....He who offers and is offered.....").

The subject might exist properly in the "decorative" frescoes within the church building, particularly within the altar, or in liturgical manuscripts; it is perhaps questionable as a panel icon. The execution maybe is not the best. The omophor is rather "Eastern Catholic" in style.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This appears to reflect words found towards the end of the prayer recited by the priest during the Cherubikon (".....He who offers and is offered.....").

The subject might exist properly in the "decorative" frescoes within the church building, particularly within the altar, or in liturgical manuscripts; it is perhaps questionable as a panel icon. The execution maybe is not the best. The omophor is rather "Eastern Catholic" in style.
As the interpretation, I agree, it's the most probable solution.
But I wouldn't say the omophorion looks Eastern Catholic...

brlon

Reaction score
Sorry. My mistake. I did imagine I could see some differences between the top row (episcopal ordination, St George Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral, Lviv) and the bottom row (Greek and Russian Orthodox, consecration of St Nicholas Cathedral, Kronstadt).

Admittedly, one may see the "Orthodox" style omophor in Ukraine but I have never seen the Latin "pallium" ('ready-folded') style in any Orthodox church.
Image1.jpg

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
The man looks to be smiling.

And a parrot! Did the saint own a parrot? :)
Saint Porphyrios had a small parrot that he taught to pray in order to illustrate the absurdity of some Christians’ empty repetition of the words of prayer, as well as the ridiculousness of the opinion commonly presented in Eastern religions that someone can make moral advances by physical exercises or breathing techniques. Every so often, the parrot would mechanically say, “Lord, have mercy.” The elder would respond, “Look, the parrot can say the prayer, but does that mean that it is praying? Can prayer exist without the conscious and free participation of the person who prays?”