• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Strange icons

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
"Rejoice, full of grac.....um, you have something on your cloak?"

"Oh, here?"

"Yes."

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No
Aww. I kind of like it.

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
I mean, yeah it's cute and all (very cute, really), but I'm not sure what it's trying to say. Seems really ambiguous and sentimental to me.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
a smoking flax He won't quench
Jurisdiction
World
It says to me, " Let's go to Egypt"

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
She had to papoose him because she has no arms.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
Does anyone feel remotely uncomfortable making fun of icons (or pictures) that don't meet up to Orthodox standards yet somehow depict a person we love and honor?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Does anyone feel remotely uncomfortable making fun of icons (or pictures) that don't meet up to Orthodox standards yet somehow depict a person we love and honor?
No.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
No
Jurisdiction
No

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Does anyone have the image saved of the large free-standing icon in (I think) a Coptic parish with lights running around the outside/frame?

LukeDM

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
DOWAMA
To me, it's more of a criticism of the teaching behind the icon. If somebody drew a picture of your own father with no ears, wouldn't you think it was funny? Would you possibly joke to your father about it? Of course I don't intend any disrespect to the Theotokos. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't make sense, and icons are not intended to just depict any old subject we want, especially without historical precedent. Read the responses of the Fathers to those who held erroneous opinions. They were often very acrimonious and oftentimes very snarky in responding to beliefs they found to be wrong. I don't see any problem in discussing the finer points of iconography, whether its veiled in a layer of humor or not.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
World
To me, it's more of a criticism of the teaching behind the icon. If somebody drew a picture of your own father with no ears, wouldn't you think it was funny? Would you possibly joke to your father about it? Of course I don't intend any disrespect to the Theotokos. I'm just pointing out that it doesn't make sense, and icons are not intended to just depict any old subject we want, especially without historical precedent. Read the responses of the Fathers to those who held erroneous opinions. They were often very acrimonious and oftentimes very snarky in responding to beliefs they found to be wrong. I don't see any problem in discussing the finer points of iconography, whether its veiled in a layer of humor or not.
Thank you for explaining this. It's a delicate tightrope.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Strange or schlock? Or none of both?

brlon

Reaction score
Faith
None
Jurisdiction
None
Strange or schlock? Or none of both?

This appears to reflect words found towards the end of the prayer recited by the priest during the Cherubikon (".....He who offers and is offered.....").

The subject might exist properly in the "decorative" frescoes within the church building, particularly within the altar, or in liturgical manuscripts; it is perhaps questionable as a panel icon. The execution maybe is not the best. The omophor is rather "Eastern Catholic" in style.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
This appears to reflect words found towards the end of the prayer recited by the priest during the Cherubikon (".....He who offers and is offered.....").

The subject might exist properly in the "decorative" frescoes within the church building, particularly within the altar, or in liturgical manuscripts; it is perhaps questionable as a panel icon. The execution maybe is not the best. The omophor is rather "Eastern Catholic" in style.
As the interpretation, I agree, it's the most probable solution.
But I wouldn't say the omophorion looks Eastern Catholic...

brlon

Reaction score
Faith
None
Jurisdiction
None
Sorry. My mistake. I did imagine I could see some differences between the top row (episcopal ordination, St George Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral, Lviv) and the bottom row (Greek and Russian Orthodox, consecration of St Nicholas Cathedral, Kronstadt).

Admittedly, one may see the "Orthodox" style omophor in Ukraine but I have never seen the Latin "pallium" ('ready-folded') style in any Orthodox church.
Image1.jpg

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The man looks to be smiling.

And a parrot! Did the saint own a parrot? :)
Saint Porphyrios had a small parrot that he taught to pray in order to illustrate the absurdity of some Christians’ empty repetition of the words of prayer, as well as the ridiculousness of the opinion commonly presented in Eastern religions that someone can make moral advances by physical exercises or breathing techniques. Every so often, the parrot would mechanically say, “Lord, have mercy.” The elder would respond, “Look, the parrot can say the prayer, but does that mean that it is praying? Can prayer exist without the conscious and free participation of the person who prays?”

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
What's the boat's name?

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
It's pretty, at least...

Richmond

Reaction score
Faith
Confused Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Are parody icons allowed on this thread?
I just found a Star Wars "icon" evidently photoshopped by someone who has no clue about icons.

And yes, it is every bit as bad you would imagine. :eek:

Last edited:

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Christ is risen and martyrs of the German and Croatian nazi camps

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

Paja Jovanović's = "St. George the Saviour". St. George is presented like the leader of First Serbian uprising Karadjordje Petrović.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Faith
Of Avvakum and Neronov
Jurisdiction
Old Rite, Chasovenny
A depiction of the appearance of the Okovetsk-Rzhevsk Icon of the Theotokos, the God-Child, and St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, upon a tree on a Russian riverbank in 1539. Fastened to another tree nearby was a large iron cross, or perhaps, as depicted here, an icon of the Cross instead. I don't imagine the wilderness in the Tver' region was so bare and rocky, however.