Strange icons

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 22, 2013
Messages
6,807
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
50
LizaSymonenko said:
Here's one more.  I realize the Mother of God is often referred to as the "Ladder" between Heaven and Earth, however, I've never seen her holding a ladder.

for some reason this reminds me of those dreadful senior photos where there was a large picture and then another sort of ghosted profile shot in the same picture.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,289
Reaction score
59
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
I have a similar-looking one. I forget the name, sorry, but I believe it has to do with the Theotokos as an intercessor for the sick.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
LizaSymonenko said:
This is a week of unknown icons on Facebook.

What about this one?

It's known as The Healer (Целительница, Tselitel'nitsa), and it depicts the miraculous healing of a gravely-ill priest by the Mother of God.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
LBK said:
LizaSymonenko said:
This is a week of unknown icons on Facebook.

What about this one?

It's known as The Healer (Целительница, Tselitel'nitsa), and it depicts the miraculous healing of a gravely-ill priest by the Mother of God.
That kid doesn't look like a priest.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
LizaSymonenko said:
This is a week of unknown icons on Facebook.

What about this one?

It's known as The Healer (Целительница, Tselitel'nitsa), and it depicts the miraculous healing of a gravely-ill priest by the Mother of God.
That kid doesn't look like a priest.
The description of the icon through Russian sources says the man was a "cleric" (клирик) . He could have been of one of the lesser ordained ranks, where a beard and long hair is not mandatory.  :police:
 

CrystalMind

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Pittsburgh
I've seen this icon a few times, but given the recent discussion in this thread about dark background colors being a no-no, I was curious. I'm still very new to all of this (Orthodoxy, icons, etc).



(This is the largest version I could find, sorry for the low-res.)
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
CrystalMind said:
I've seen this icon a few times, but given the recent discussion in this thread about dark background colors being a no-no, I was curious. I'm still very new to all of this (Orthodoxy, icons, etc).



(This is the largest version I could find, sorry for the low-res.)
I've seen this one many a time. It's a Roman Catholic painting from around the 19th century, and given a Russian/Slavonic inscription. Not an icon at all.
 

Orthodox11

Archon
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
LBK said:
The description of the icon through Russian sources says the man was a "cleric" (клирик) . He could have been of one of the lesser ordained ranks, where a beard and long hair is not mandatory.  :police:
Maybe beardlessness was the disease from which he needed healing?
 

CrystalMind

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
28
Location
Pittsburgh
LBK said:
I've seen this one many a time. It's a Roman Catholic painting from around the 19th century, and given a Russian/Slavonic inscription. Not an icon at all.
Thanks for the info; I wouldn't have known. :)
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
CrystalMind said:
LBK said:
I've seen this one many a time. It's a Roman Catholic painting from around the 19th century, and given a Russian/Slavonic inscription. Not an icon at all.
Thanks for the info; I wouldn't have known. :)
Happy to help.  :)
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Orthodox11 said:
LBK said:
The description of the icon through Russian sources says the man was a "cleric" (клирик) . He could have been of one of the lesser ordained ranks, where a beard and long hair is not mandatory.  :police:
Maybe beardlessness was the disease from which he needed healing?
I'll pay that.  :laugh: :laugh:
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
Missouri, USA
LBK said:
I find disturbing because of the Child's portrayal - in profile, and as a generic chubby babe, not as the all-knowing God before the Ages, as the kontakion of the Nativity proclaims.
But didn't he empty himself of his omniscience at the time of the incarnation? He had to grow in knowledge to be fully human.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Alveus Lacuna said:
LBK said:
I find disturbing because of the Child's portrayal - in profile, and as a generic chubby babe, not as the all-knowing God before the Ages, as the kontakion of the Nativity proclaims.
But didn't he empty himself of his omniscience at the time of the incarnation? He had to grow in knowledge to be fully human.
The hymns and icons of the Church consistently and clearly proclaim the divine omniscience of the Child. The feasts which commemorate Christ while He was still a child (Nativity, Circumcision, Meeting, Mid-Pentecost) are most eloquent in expressing this mystery.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
CrystalMind said:
So... Uncut Mountain Supply is selling this as an icon of St. Herman of Alaska. It seems odd?  ???

Definitely. Especially as there are a multitude of proper, well-executed and beautiful icons which have been painted over the years of this saint. Is it really so difficult for stockists to make the effort to source and sell good stuff?  :p
 

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Messages
7,984
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
41
Location
Wisconsin, USA
Michał Kalina said:
monkvasyl said:
Michał Kalina said:
What is the point of that?
In places were a Christian could be persecuted for having an icon, this one could easily be hidden when necessary.
Do you think it was painted for that? Seriously?
Because it can be done. Isn't it Russian? Brought to you by the same folks who built the biggest cannon, the biggest bell, the biggest church, the biggest empire, etc. Now, why not go to the other end of the scale?
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Shanghaiski said:
Michał Kalina said:
monkvasyl said:
Michał Kalina said:
What is the point of that?
In places were a Christian could be persecuted for having an icon, this one could easily be hidden when necessary.
Do you think it was painted for that? Seriously?
Because it can be done. Isn't it Russian? Brought to you by the same folks who built the biggest cannon, the biggest bell, the biggest church, the biggest empire, etc. Now, why not go to the other end of the scale?
You beat me to it.  :laugh: Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.
 

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
23,289
Reaction score
59
Points
48
Age
47
Website
archiveofourown.org
I used to have a miniature icon like that. I attached it to the rearview mirror in the car. :)
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,236
Reaction score
102
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
From the website of Holy Protection Monastery in White Haven, PA, see the Dormition icon in the attached file. 

Is it common for the "little" Lady in our Lord's hands to look like a cute baby with wings?  I want to pinch her cheeks! 
 

Attachments

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Mor Ephrem said:
From the website of Holy Protection Monastery in White Haven, PA, see the Dormition icon in the attached file. 

Is it common for the "little" Lady in our Lord's hands to look like a cute baby with wings?  I want to pinch her cheeks! 
Oh, dear God! Sentimental fluff and nonsense! There oughta be a law ....

I can assure you that is is NOT common! Never have I seen wings on any holy one's soul, be it that of the Mother of God, or of any saint at his repose when his soul is taken to heaven by an angel.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
LBK said:
You beat me to it.  :laugh: Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.
If there any reason for it to be created other but boasting about skills? I mean, how can one kiss that for example?
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
You beat me to it.  :laugh: Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.
If there any reason for it to be created other but boasting about skills? I mean, how can one kiss that for example?
My, you have a narrow view of certain things! So using one's talent for glorifying God isn't good enough? And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?  :police:
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
LBK said:
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
You beat me to it.  :laugh: Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.
If there any reason for it to be created other but boasting about skills? I mean, how can one kiss that for example?
My, you have a narrow view of certain things! So using one's talent for glorifying God isn't good enough?
How it's gloryfing God? Can you give a single practical usage of that?
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
You beat me to it.  :laugh: Russians are renowned for their miniatures, the Palekh region particularly so.

I've seen quite a few miniature icons, but never one that small! I'm impressed. Very impressed.
If there any reason for it to be created other but boasting about skills? I mean, how can one kiss that for example?
My, you have a narrow view of certain things! So using one's talent for glorifying God isn't good enough?
How it's gloryfing God? Can you give a single practical usage of that?
Are you not aware that icons are (should be) painted with prayer and fasting?

I'm also waiting for your answer to this:
And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
LBK said:
I'm also waiting for your answer to this:
And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?
Probably a couple whan I was a child. However, frescoes have also decorative and educational purposes what can't be said abut that.

Waiting for your answer.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
I'm also waiting for your answer to this:
And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?
Probably a couple whan I was a child. However, frescoes have also decorative and educational purposes what can't be said abut that.

Waiting for your answer.
And an icon of the Mandylion has no teaching value??
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
LBK said:
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
I'm also waiting for your answer to this:
And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?
Probably a couple whan I was a child. However, frescoes have also decorative and educational purposes what can't be said abut that.

Waiting for your answer.
And an icon of the Mandylion has no teaching value??
It hasn't sinceit has to watched with a magnifier.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
I'm also waiting for your answer to this:
And how many icons painted directly onto church walls or inside cupolas have you kissed, Michal?
Probably a couple whan I was a child. However, frescoes have also decorative and educational purposes what can't be said abut that.

Waiting for your answer.
And an icon of the Mandylion has no teaching value??
It hasn't sinceit has to watched with a magnifier.
You're clutching at straws again in your attempt to prove you're right, when all you're doing is showing up how shallow and mean-spirited you are. An icon doesn't stop being an icon, even when it is smaller than a thumbnail.

I again praise the skill, discipline and love of God of whoever painted this little gem. Does anyone know who he/she is?
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
You again ignored the fact painting icons is not something you do for Guinness records.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
You again ignored the fact paintin icons is not something you do for Guinness records.
How do you know this was the reason for the painting of this miniature? Russians have been painting icon miniatures for many centuries, it's not a new phenomenon.

Give it up, Michal. You're looking more and more foolish and mean-spirited with each post.
 

mike

Protostrator
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
24,873
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
30
Location
Białystok / Warsaw
LBK said:
Michał Kalina said:
You again ignored the fact paintin icons is not something you do for Guinness records.
How do you know this was the reason for the painting of this miniature? Russians have been painting icon miniatures for many centuries, it's not a new phenomenon.

Give it up, Michal. You're looking more and more foolish and mean-spirited with each post.
You've still failed to provide a single reason why one would be painting them (apart from boasting about his skills).
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,642
Reaction score
1
Points
36
Michał Kalina said:
LBK said:
Michał Kalina said:
You again ignored the fact paintin icons is not something you do for Guinness records.
How do you know this was the reason for the painting of this miniature? Russians have been painting icon miniatures for many centuries, it's not a new phenomenon.

Give it up, Michal. You're looking more and more foolish and mean-spirited with each post.
You've still failed to provide a single reason why one would be painting them (apart from boasting about his skills).
Did/do the painters of Palekh paint their miniature icons simply to boast about their skills? Indeed, using your logic, every iconographer is simply to show off their artistic skill.

Go back and read my posts again. Your stubbornness is there for all to see.
 
Top