• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Struggling with disbelief

trevor72694

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I've been a committed Atheist for a little over a year.  I have been to Church a few times lately and have reassembled my icon corner in my apartment.  I want to believe so badly like I used to.  I was once overly zealous and pretty pretentious in my approach to faith.  I just want to feel God and have confidence in His love and mercy, but I'm having such a hard time.  I'm not in an environment conducive to faith, living on my college campus.  Faith has become a secret thing for me, and also more precious because of that.

Please pray for me.  I want God to be real so badly, but I have such a hard time believing that all of it is real.  I don't know if I'm supposed to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is real (that's how I used to feel), because that is not faith.  I'm just not sure how to arrive at a place where I can call myself a believer.

Reaction score
Lord have mercy, just remember most in life have had doubts of faith, it tests us about what we truly believe. Continue to pray, and attend Church, sometimes it our rock bottom low points when we find the Grace of God in our lives by surprise

beebert

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I must tell you that you are not alone. I too have wandered away from God and want to come back. I don't know if it comforts you but at least you are not alone. Hopefully there is hope for us both.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Lord, have mercy!

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
"God is a fire that warms and kindles the heart and inward parts. And so, if we feel in our hearts coldness, which is from the devil,--for the devil is cold-then let us call upon the Lord and He will come and warm our hearts with perfect love not only for Him, but for our neighbor as well. And from the presence of warmth the coldness of the hater of good ill be driven away."
+Saint Seraphim of Sarov