• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Sultan of Brunei bans Christmas 'because it could damage faith of Muslims'

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Sultan of Brunei bans Christmas 'because it could damage faith of Muslims'
Brunei has banned public celebrations of Christmas, warning that putting up festive decorations or singing carols could threaten the country's Muslim faith.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/12063373/Sultan-of-Brunei-bans-Christmas-because-it-could-damage-faith-of-Muslims.html

How the Sultan of Brunei Stole Christmas
He kept his own harem, and believes gays should be stoned to death. Now the hypocritical sultan has banned all manner of festive merriment.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/23/how-the-sultan-of-brunei-banned-christmas.html

Pervert Muslim King Bans Christmas in His Kingdom–Threatens Christians with Prison

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/12/21/pervert-muslim-king-bans-christmas-in-his-kingdom-threatens-christians-with-prison/

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
The average Breitbart reader is in favor of banning Islam in the US, so I'm not sure whence their outrage springs.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Yikes, I mean it there nation and all so sady we can't impose our will on them. I just hope our tax dollars and any millitary aid isn't going yo this nation, and it pervert King. Cartoons, drawings, certain books like "The Satanic Verses, other beliefs holidays, etc. seem to tick certain Muslims off a lot, but yet child marriage and sex with goats don't bother them. Yep totalky reasonable folks, Thank GOD most Muslims are nominal.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
seekeroftruth777 said:
Yikes, I mean it there nation and all so sady we can't impose our will on them. I just hope our tax dollars and any millitary aid isn't going yo this nation, and it pervert King. Cartoons, drawings, certain books like "The Satanic Verses, other beliefs holidays, etc. seem to tick certain Muslims off a lot, but yet child marriage and sex with goats don't bother them. Yep totalky reasonable folks, Thank GOD most Muslims are nominal.
Brunei is extremely wealthy from oil money; its Sultan was once the wealthiest man in the world (I believe Bill Gates has since surpassed him). So they're not in any need of aid; but we might be buying their oil.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Iconodule said:
The average Breitbart reader is in favor of banning Islam in the US, so I'm not sure whence their outrage springs.
While banning Islam seems like throwing gasoline on the fire, I have to ask do you think Islam is peaceful? I mean it as a honest sincere question, you are a very aware person. Seems there problems among certain sects of Islam like the whabbists/Salafists.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
The Sultan of Brunei and thus the Sultanate....do not need foreign money.

Brunei ranks #5 on the list of worlds richest countries.

(The US is #7 for those following along)

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
seekeroftruth777 said:
Iconodule said:
While banning Islam seems like throwing gasoline on the fire, I have to ask do you think Islam is peaceful? I mean it as a honest sincere question, you are a very aware person. Seems there problems among certain sects of Islam like the whabbists/Salafists.
Like any religion Islam has a lot of different expressions. I think historically and doctrinally it is more prone to violence than Christianity but on the ground this is not always the case. Islam in Southeast Asia spread peacefully and, until recently, was relatively tolerant in its expression. The influence of Wahhabism/ Salafism is being felt though and even those who oppose this influence can adopt a lot of the hardened attitudes. My mom came from neighboring Malaysia (on Borneo) and, as a non-Muslim Chinese, she sometimes felt like a second class citizen.

Regarding Salafism in general, yes, it is the most violent and dangerous strain of Islam today, but I think a lot of people tend to play off Sufi-influenced Islam as the more peaceful alternative. Sufism was mainstream in Islam for the majority of its history and still is in many places- there is no reason to assume Sufism is any more peaceful than Wahhabism. What really makes the difference here is Gulf State funding. If you want to wage jihad, Wahhabism is where the money is.

Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
Iconodule said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
Iconodule said:
Like any religion Islam has a lot of different expressions. I think historically and doctrinally it is more prone to violence than Christianity but on the ground this is not always the case. Islam in Southeast Asia spread peacefully and, until recently, was relatively tolerant in its expression. The influence of Wahhabism/ Salafism is being felt though and even those who oppose this influence can adopt a lot of the hardened attitudes. My mom came from neighboring Malaysia (on Borneo) and, as a non-Muslim Chinese, she sometimes felt like a second class citizen.

Regarding Salafism in general, yes, it is the most violent and dangerous strain of Islam today, but I think a lot of people tend to play off Sufi-influenced Islam as the more peaceful alternative. Sufism was mainstream in Islam for the majority of its history and still is in many places- there is no reason to assume Sufism is any more peaceful than Wahhabism. What really makes the difference here is Gulf State funding. If you want to wage jihad, Wahhabism is where the money is.
Yes good points!. I read recently about how much of the Islamic world was Sufi. Then in the 1970's due to the Oil wealth of the Gulf States,  "our friends" like Saudi Arabia and to a lesser extent Qatar, Kuwait and UAE starting spreading Whabbi/Salafi Extremism in the mosques and madrasses around the globe. It sort of ironic that for all the talk of ISIS going after the Saudis, they tend to fight the Saudis enemies, both within Islam and outside Islam.