Summing up

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
I tried Orthodoxy. I still use much of it, from prayers at home to church (Byzantine Catholic) at least once a month. If it didn't practice remarriage after divorce, held the fort against contraception, and was more than an idealization of Byzantine culture shading into idolatry of it, if it really was a universal church with a generations-old authentically Western rite/expression (Eastern Catholics are Eastern Christianity in Catholicism; Western Rite Orthodoxy is a small, convert phenomenon, not a living tradition), I'd be very impressed; it would challenge my faith.

In Christianity, it's Rome or the abyss. Protestantism is a made-up faith.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The young fogey said:
In Christianity, it's Rome or the abyss.
Why bother with shade, when you can have the outer darkness? ::)

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The young fogey said:
I tried Orthodoxy...

Good to know you found somewhere you fit in. 

I can't follow you there since the Roman Catholic priests and nuns and laity tortured and raped my family.

thenerdpaul

Reaction score
[quote author=The young fogey]
If it didn't practice remarriage after divorce[/quote]
Rome does too, but plays a name-game and pretends marriages sometimes decades old weren't even real.

[quote author=The young fogey]held the fort against contraception[/quote]
I'll admit that it is sad that us Orthodox Christians could do much better in this regard. But so could Francis and many other Roman Catholic bishops.

[quote author=The young fogey]and was more than an idealization of Byzantine culture shading into idolatry of it[/quote]
The irony is strong with this one. But this has been pointed out numerous times, and I'm afraid you're still repeating this meme as a valid critique.

[quote author=The young fogey]if it really was a universal church with a generations-old authentically Western rite/expression[/quote]
The Great Schism made that a little difficult.

[quote author=The young fogey]Western Rite Orthodoxy is a small, convert phenomenon, not a living tradition[/quote]
In this area I happen to agree with you. Culture though shouldn't trump truth for you. (Again, note the irony in your earlier critique).

[quote author=The young fogey]In Christianity, it's Rome or the abyss.[/quote]
LOL.

[quote author=The young fogey]Protestantism is a made-up faith.[/quote]
True. So what though? Most here would probably agree with you on this particular point.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The young fogey said:
I tried Orthodoxy.
Have you really tried? Have you embraced it? Lived it? Including, actually, above all, the Holy Sacraments?

So, what are you doing on an Orthodox forum?

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
The young fogey said:
If it didn't practice remarriage after divorce, held the fort against contraception, and was more than an idealization of Byzantine culture shading into idolatry of it, if it really was a universal church with a generations-old authentically Western rite/expression (Eastern Catholics are Eastern Christianity in Catholicism; Western Rite Orthodoxy is a small, convert phenomenon, not a living tradition), I'd be very impressed;
What do you think is your number 1 thing?

Isn't Western Rite Orthodoxy more of a "living thing" than Eastern Catholicism was in the 16th century, since the W.R.Orthodox choose to be Orthodox voluntarily. If someone is forced into a religion, is that a real, "living" faith?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The young fogey said:
I tried Orthodoxy. I still use much of it, from prayers at home to church (Byzantine Catholic) at least once a month. If it didn't practice remarriage after divorce, held the fort against contraception,
Isn't this kind of a case of
Romans 14:4 said:
"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? To his own lord he standeth or falleth. And he shall stand: for God is able to make him stand."
Especially given the preponderance of liberalizing Catholic bishops (which I notice have somehow not driven you into sedevacantism). Why not focus on your own faith and let God sort the bishops, remarried, and users of contraception out?

The young fogey said:
and was more than an idealization of Byzantine culture shading into idolatry of it,
By the same measure isn't that what Byzcath is? I could just as easily argue that it's idolatrous for all these cultures to insist on their sui iuris special privileges and not just shut up and learn Latin.

The young fogey said:
What about the Old Catholics? What about the Sedes?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
The young fogey said:
If it didn't practice remarriage after divorce, held the fort against contraception, and was more than an idealization of Byzantine culture shading into idolatry of it, if it really was a universal church with a generations-old authentically Western rite/expression (Eastern Catholics are Eastern Christianity in Catholicism; Western Rite Orthodoxy is a small, convert phenomenon, not a living tradition), I'd be very impressed;

Isn't Western Rite Orthodoxy more of a "living thing" than Eastern Catholicism was in the 16th century, since the W.R.Orthodox choose to be Orthodox voluntarily. If someone is forced into a religion, is that a real, "living" faith?
Good point.

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
rakovsky said:
The young fogey said:

Stop believing the propaganda.  Do you think if we were forced we would have developed such a fierce loyalty in such a short span of time?

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
The question of 'why be Orthodox?' what does it mean? etc.

Sharbel

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The young fogey said:
I tried Orthodoxy. I still use much of it, from prayers at home to church (Byzantine Catholic) at least once a month...
You call this trying Orthodoxy?  No, you most definitely did not try Orthodoxy.

[quote author=The young fogey]
[/quote]
The more distant a community puts itself from the faith of the Apostles, through either development or reform of doctrine, it just wanders away. 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score

thenerdpaul

Reaction score
Deacon Lance said:
thenerdpaul said:
After they were mistreated by the Latin bishops here, not before.  During the Communist era thousands were martyred rather than join the Orthodox Church.
Hmm. I did some quick searching and most of the stuff online I found were about some people who had been either heavily Latinized or were clergy. However, I did find a book that might be on this from a Ukrainian studies group that seems to be on this. Do you know of any online citations you can provide?