• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Synthesizing/Reconciling the Semitic and Greek Views of God; St. John Damascene?

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I seem to recall a reference in the past to St. John of Damascus having a writing which attempts to bridge the gulf between the Greek and Semitic/Jewish/Arab/etc views of God. I can't remember what it is and have been itching to read it lately. Does anybody know where this topic is to be found in his great body of work?

Meant to put this in the Faith Issues forum.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Alveus Lacuna said:
I seem to recall a reference in the past to St. John of Damascus having a writing which attempts to bridge the gulf between the Greek and Semitic/Jewish/Arab/etc views of God. I can't remember what it is and have been itching to read it lately. Does anybody know where this topic is to be found in his great body of work?

Meant to put this in the Faith Issues forum.
Nothing rings a bell, but I'd be interested in it.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Fr. Hopko said something to that effect concerning St. John's treatment of God's providence. I admit I'm skeptical based on the bits of St. John I've read.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know much about how John of Damascus did it, but I speculate that Gregory Palamas introduced the distinction of energy and essence for this reason, more or less, since the most important aspect of theology is whether one can partake of the divine nature or not, at least in Aristotelian/Islamic thought.  As for Jewish thought, this has mixed responses, with admitting to a mystical theology of this partaking or indwelling and some saying no, adopting the Islamic Aristotelian concepts.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Fr. Hopko said something to that effect concerning St. John's treatment of God's providence. I admit I'm skeptical based on the bits of St. John I've read.
Skeptical that he tried or skeptical that he succeeded?