• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Syro-Orthodox Church of France

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this group?

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/?p=44198

How are they - per the article - "in the process of gaining recognition form the Oriental Orthodox Communion"?

dhinuus

High Elder
Reaction score
My understanding is that Mor Mairam Philipose (aka Philippe Miguet) is from the Rene Vilatte line.

This is what I know. None of which I know for 100% as fact.

My understanding is that Philippe Miguet was first ordained as a Bishop by, Pierre Salle in 1986 . Pierre Salle uses the title Patriarch Mar Boris I Timotchenko of Église Syro-Antiochenne en Europe.  Later Philippe Miguet again got ordained in 1987 , this time by George J. Musey, a bishop of the Tridentine Latin Rite Church.

I also understand that this group has established some contact with the group led by Gurgan (aka Mor Severius Moshe). This is an excommunicated Syriac Orthodox monk; who was welcomed and ordained as a Bishop by the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church (the Indian jurisdiction not in communion with the Syriac Orthodox Church). He now claims to be the primate of the Antiochian Syriac Orthodox Church.

This group also has contacts with Malabar Independent Syrian Church which is in communion with the Marthomites (aka Indians in Syriac vestments but following protestant theology).

As far as establishing communion... I don't know how. For a while Gurgan (Mor Severius Moshe) was in communion with the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church... but that communion was broken when Gurgan turned around and started ordaining people with in India. Monk Gurgan Moshe was excommunicated by Patriarch Zakka I for a reason; finally MOSC realized it as well.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
dhinuus said:
Mor Mairam Philipose (aka Philippe Miguet)... Pierre Salle uses the title Patriarch Mar Boris I Timotchenko
Does anyone else find this funny?

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Not as funny as if he were called Mor Boris, or Mar Baris.  East-West vowell shift and all that.  Speaking of which, I recently read of an obscure East Syriac dialect historically spoken in Turkey where the vowells get shifted to "e", so he could be Mer Beris presumably.