• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Thankfulness and gratitude in hard times

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
What are you thankful for that was brought about directly as a result of hard times?
What has this last year during the pandemic taught you that causes you to give thanks to Our Good Father?

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
At the beginning of the pandemic, we found we had bed bugs.
I am grateful that
1)we had plenty of time to address this issue with burning furniture/ belongings (yes, fire department was called on us from neighbors who were bored and quarantined and needed entertainment),
2) we got rid of half of our belongings and did a big continuous 9 month long housecleaning perpetually.
3) It made me too busy to completely freak out over conspiracy theories.
4) I slept well in my exhaustion.
I am grateful to God for the daily tasks of laundry, vacuuming, steam treatments to furniture, Diatamacious earth applications, really looking at an object and letting go of so much clutter.
5) It made it easier to keep home and away from others. Shame. It was the perfect timing for such a trial of pestilence.
We have never had bed bugs and wish this on nobody. This is why living in a tent is ideal. Walk away naked and torch the whole thing; in 15 minutes one can be done with it all.

Thank You God for all this and so much more that I do not even know yet as a result of bed bugs. Thank You for providing relief in Your time.

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Glory to God in all things.

Quasi-poverty. I say quasi because it was situational not generational, and we had family to keep us from true poverty -- from losing our home, being without utilities, or going hungry. In a way, I was still spoiled. It's nothing like what many people deal with here and around the world, so I usually just say we were broke. But we were below the federal poverty level and qualified for food stamps, WIC, Medicaid, and mortgage assistance. My mom once said during that time that I could pinch pennies until they bled, though I'm not sure how objectively true that was. I (kind of) learned to crochet my own rugs, cook everything from scratch, unit cost shop and freeze the extra, fix and build things, homeschool on a shoestring, and generally do without or do things the hard way because it was cheaper. I broke the cable obsession and still don't have TV, became more of a minimalist, and made a commitment to donate everything we didn't need vs. reselling it -- homeschool curriculum being the exception. In the worst dips, we couldn't afford the gas to go that many places, so the lockdown really didn't affect us the way it did many. I'm perfectly capable of spending money, too, but it's easier to say no and to splurge strategically. I definitely prayed more about little daily things and clung to God more. It also brought a personal understanding of Proverbs 30:8b-9 (NKJV):
Give me neither poverty nor riches—
Feed me with the food allotted to me;
9 Lest I be full and deny You,
And say, “Who is the Lord?”
Or lest I be poor and steal,
And profane the name of my God.
But in a way, all of that was easier than it has been trying to manage a higher income and juggle all the choices and opportunity costs. That is its own frustration.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I can look back at so many instances of hard times and heartbreak and at the time I had no way to see in the middle of the storm. But after the storm passed and time healed, I can see the hand of God leading and guiding me into the shelter of His wing, calling and drawing me away to Him. I am a bit stubborn and deaf and blind and keep running into walls. Each time God picks me up and turns me around. He never gives up on me. Forever Good and Holy is our God. Thank you Heavenly Father.