• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

"The Bible and the Holy Fathers" by Johanna Manley

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Reaction score
If you consider C.I. Scofield the dispensationalist to be a Holy Father, then sure. He's around plenty.

It's mainly just John Chrysostom's textual commentary on the readings mixed with St. Cyril and a few other regulars. It's mainly handy for having the daily readings pulled out, but I really don't use it much.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
William said:
I'm looking for opinions about its quality.
It depends what you want it for.  As Alveus said, it's useful because it presents the text of the readings of the (Byzantine) Lectionary in order.  If you don't mind the translation (I think it's KJV), you could read the texts from this book and use your Bible for other kinds of reading.  There isn't too much commentary per reading, though. 

If you're looking for something that's heavy on commentary, I'd look elsewhere.  But if you want to have the daily readings and a short (usually) patristic text or two in one convenient location, perhaps as an add-on to your morning or evening prayers, it's not a bad thing at all.   

Alveus Lacuna said:
If you consider C.I. Scofield the dispensationalist to be a Holy Father, then sure. He's around plenty.
Yeah, I'm not sure why the compiler felt like adding that kind of stuff, but to be fair, non-Orthodox sources are clearly indicated as such. 

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I use it.  I used to use it a lot.  While the writings of the Fathers are abbreviated, they often interested me enough to find the full text in my collection of books and keep reading.  As to the non-Orthodox authors, they often they explain things better to some of us former Protestants than an Orthodox Father could.  I don't have a problem with the book overall. 

Hinterlander

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
According to the google books viewing it looks like the font is bold faced and the images xeroxed. 

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
William said:
I'm looking for opinions about its quality.
It depends what you want it for.  As Alveus said, it's useful because it presents the text of the readings of the (Byzantine) Lectionary in order.  If you don't mind the translation (I think it's KJV), you could read the texts from this book and use your Bible for other kinds of reading.  There isn't too much commentary per reading, though. 

If you're looking for something that's heavy on commentary, I'd look elsewhere.  But if you want to have the daily readings and a short (usually) patristic text or two in one convenient location, perhaps as an add-on to your morning or evening prayers, it's not a bad thing at all.     

Alveus Lacuna said:
Yeah, I'm not sure why the compiler felt like adding that kind of stuff, but to be fair, non-Orthodox sources are clearly indicated as such. 
And even broken clocks are right twice a day. Not every heretic is heretical in everything he writes.