The Bible for Evangelicals vs Orthodox.

R

Raylight

In survey about religions in U.S shows that

88% of Evangelicals believe that the Bible is the word of God.

7 % of Evangelicals believe that the Bible is not the word of God but a book written by men.

however,

59% of Orthodox believe that the Bible is the word of God.

29% of Orthodox believe that the Bible is not the word of God but a book written by men.

For me personally I have so much respect for the Bible, I believe it is the word of God, I believe that the Bible is not just a book, it is The Book.

29% of Orthodox believe that the Bible is not the word of God, that number is not small.

Why and how would some Orthodox Christians believe such thing ? How could we call ourselves Orthodox while believing that the Bible is not the word of God ?!

The source of these numbers is http://religions.pewforum.org/comparisons#

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
The Word of God is not a book, but a Person. Think about it, Raylight.

R

Raylight

LBK said:
The Word of God is not a book, but a Person. Think about it, Raylight.
But the Bible states that the book is inspired by God, than it is the word of God. I'm not saying that I believe that the Bible is the word of God word by word, it is God's word written by men, but still the source of it is God in mankind's language. But to say that the Bible is simply not the word of God at all and that it is only a book written by men, I mean that is dangerous.

Of course we shouldn't just call the bible the word of God without living it, God doesn't care about the papers but cares about what we would do with what he said, however this is not what I'm talking about, what I'm concerned about is the fact that some people just think it is acceptable to say that the bible is mankind book and God has nothing to do with it. If you can't trust the Bible than you can't trust Christianity.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Raylight said:
But the Bible states that the book is inspired by God, than it is the word of God.
Where does it say this?  I've been looking for that passage...
Indeed. Vast multitudes claim it, but none can find it ....

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Raylight said:
My patron saint, Justin Popovich, among them.

But I am among only part of the group which you mention, since I believe (to use their wording) that it is "the Word of God, but not literally true word for word".

R

Raylight

2 Timothy 3:16 says

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
Are you guys serious ?!

R

Raylight

Asteriktos said:
Raylight said:
My patron saint, Justin Popovich, among them.

But I am among only part of the group which you mention, since I believe (to use their wording) that it is "the Word of God, but not literally true word for word".
I'm the same as you.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:

16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
Are you guys serious ?!
Useful, but it is not everything we need to know. Orthodoxy doesn't subscribe to sola scriptura.

R

Raylight

LBK said:
Raylight said:

Are you guys serious ?!
Useful, but it is not everything we need to know. Orthodoxy doesn't subscribe to sola scriptura.
Who is on earth talking about Sola scriptura?! Sometimes seems to me that you guys don't want to say or do anything might seem Protestant, like Protestants themselves when they try to not say or do anything might seem Catholic.

Believing that the Bible is the word of God is not sola scriptura, I believe that the Bible is the written word of God and Holy Tradition is the oral word of God.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Sometimes seems to me that you guys don't want to say or do anything might seem Protestant
Why would any good Orthodox want to come across as a protestant? Or, indeed, why would a Catholic do the same?

R

Raylight

LBK said:
Sometimes seems to me that you guys don't want to say or do anything might seem Protestant
Why would any good Orthodox want to come across as a protestant?
Why would any good Orthodox want to come across as an atheist. ?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:
LBK said:
Why would any good Orthodox want to come across as an ATHEIST!
Show me where I have said that.  :mad:

R

Raylight

LBK said:
Raylight said:
LBK said:
When people disrespect the Bible and says that it is lying when it says that it is inspired by God, than that is the exact thing Atheists say.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:
LBK said:
Raylight said:
LBK said:
Show me where I have said that.  :mad:
When people disrespect the Bible and says that it is lying when it says that it is inspired by God, than that is the exact thing Atheists say.
There is a major difference between a book inspired by God, and calling it "God's Word", excluding anything else as worthy of belief by Christians.

R

Raylight

LBK said:
Raylight said:
LBK said:
Raylight said:
LBK said:
There is a major difference between a book inspired by God, and calling it "God's Word".
How?! Inspired by God means it is the word of God, but again, I'm not saying every word is God's words, but in general sense it the God's word.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Raylight said:

Are you guys serious ?!
But it doesn't say what Scripture is "Scripture" in the way you're talking about it--as the word of God.  What is "all Scripture"?  What does "all" refer to?  Which books?  Hindus have Scriptures too, are these a part of "all Scripture"? 

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Raylight said:
LBK said:
Raylight said:
LBK said:
Raylight said:
LBK said:
There is a major difference between a book inspired by God, and calling it "God's Word".
How?! Inspired by God means it is the word of God, but again, I'm not saying every word is God's words, but in general sense it the God's word.
The trouble is that "the word of God" has very different meanings to Orthodox, to Catholics, and to protestants. This is why many such surveys are meaningless.

You will do well to not waste your time with such things, and concentrate on your own salvation.

R

Raylight

Mor Ephrem said:
Raylight said:

Are you guys serious ?!
But it doesn't say what Scripture is "Scripture" in the way you're talking about it--as the word of God.  What is "all Scripture"?  What does "all" refer to?  Which books?  Hindus have Scriptures too, are these a part of "all Scripture"? 
It is not science, we know what meant by "Scripture", Paul was talking to a believer like him, both knew what meant by that word. Do you really think that Paul meant all holy books in the world are the "Scripture" ?!

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
You're forgetting that most of what we all and accept as the New Testament wasn't written at the time that Paul wrote those words to Timothy. For decades, Christian teaching was passed on by word of mouth.