• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Choir Hoodie

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
As a spin-off from the Klobuk/Fez thread, I'm interested in information on the choir hoodie. What is its origin, development and meaning? When was it last used (the Fall of Constantinople?) and how does it relate to the dome-shaped white hats also seen in that video?

It's hard to find anything via Google, since I just get that other article of clothing called a hoodie.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
The extent of my knowledge is that it was the imperial uniform for chanters. The multi-colored costume was for those singing melos (the melody) and the white was for those singing the isokratima.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
The extent of my knowledge is that it was the imperial uniform for chanters. The multi-colored costume was for those singing melos (the melody) and the white was for those singing the isokratima.
Makes sense.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I wonder if it was primarily just for visibility and distinguishabiltiy across the crowded cathedral, smoky with incense.