The Commandments of Jesus Christ

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
The purpose and point of this thread is to discuss and to learn and to teach the commandments of Jesus Christ to those who want to read and participate. I will go through the new testament and take them one by one. This is all voluntary, of your own free will, not mine. If it offends you or you are way beyond this in your life or for whatever reason this is not for you or to you liking...then do not come back on this thread and read it. I am going to post this on all the other Christian forums so if you believe posting the same gospel the commandments of Jesus Christ, right out of the bible all over the internet as spamming...then I would advice you to go take it up with the Lord. Because to me it is blessing.

We will start with this.

John, Chapter 14, 15: If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John, Chapter 14, 21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John, Chapter 15, 10: If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
If virtues can be commandments (or are sometimes synonymous), then this may help me go more presicely in the right direction...

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
St. John is using 'entoli': a common Greek word meaning a pronouncement from somebody in charge, such as a direction from a field general. I'm not saying it ought to be translated "orders" rather than "commandments"; I'm just revealing some of my own thought process when I consider what "commandments" does mean (a very uncommon word in English, outside of Biblespeak where it tends to mean The Ten Commandments). At any rate:

-- If we remember the Lord is a living Master, we who are his slaves (douloi, as he so often termed his followers) can expect to be taking orders from him day-to-day.

However, such orders will undoubtedly be consistent with Christ's reported teaching (and with the Fathers and tradition). Some of what is written that enters my mind are the so-called Sermon on the Mount and Sermon of the Sheep and the Goats ("works of mercy" sermon, to some).

Above all, I think of "Love one another," repeated in various forms throughout the Gospel passage your quotes come from, and of John the Theologian's letters explaining that the commandment is to love.

Warning: I am not Orthodox yet and don't have an Orthodox background.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
The purpose and point of this thread is to discuss and to learn and to teach the commandments of Jesus Christ to those who want to read and participate. I will go through the new testament and take them one by one. This is all voluntary, of your own free will, not mine. If it offends you or you are way beyond this in your life or for whatever reason this is not for you or to you liking...then do not come back on this thread and read it. I am going to post this on all the other Christian forums so if you believe posting the same gospel the commandments of Jesus Christ, right out of the bible all over the internet as spamming...then I would advice you to go take it up with the Lord. Because to me it is blessing.

We will start with this.

John, Chapter 14, 21: He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

John, Chapter 15, 10: If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
Indeed!  The sad state of Christians today is that with all the divisions, there are a huge chunk that do not keep His commandments.  For Christ promised us that the gates of Hades shall not prevail against the Church.

One wonders then, when Christ left, Christ had to have entrusted His commandments to the Apostles.  The Apostles also entrusted the commandments to bishops, presbyters, and deacons.  Christ commanded us to eat His body and drink His blood.  Christ commanded us to baptize in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Indeed Christ commanded many things, and we still fall short.  May the Lord have mercy on us all that we may return to follow His commandments, which the Apostles shared with us, and which were maintained by the ancient Church throughout the centuries, where Hades never prevailed against.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Bah! You are right. I can't even keep the one: "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you."  :(

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
Justin Kolodziej said:
Bah! You are right. I can't even keep the one: "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you."  :(
If you can't obey the simple and the least greatest of them, then you surely will not obey the greatest of them all.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
Justin Kolodziej said:
If you can't obey the simple and the least greatest of them, then you surely will not obey the greatest of them all.
Perhaps you could provide us with some tips on how to keep the commandments?

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Stephen Levi said:
Justin Kolodziej said:
I will do so for you when we reach that point in the order of the thread.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:

We will start with this.

If you do not keep the commandments of Jesus Christ,
you do not love, Jesus Christ.

True or false?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
TheTrisagion said:
Stephen Levi said:
Justin Kolodziej said:
I will do so for you when we reach that point in the order of the thread.
Could you provide an outline to the thread so we can know what we should be discussing when?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
Stephen Levi said:

We will start with this.

True or false?
I don't think the logic quite follows. If my children don't obey what I tell them, it doesn't mean they don't love me, but I might tell them if they love me they need to do what I am instructing them to do. That is what Christ is saying.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Stephen Levi said:
Stephen Levi said:

We will start with this.

True or false?
I don't think the logic quite follows. If my children don't obey what I tell them, it doesn't mean they don't love me, but I might tell them if they love me they need to do what I am instructing them to do. That is what Christ is saying.
You are not God and your children are not you.

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
this isn't going anywhere fast. So who out there can truly say they are keeping the first and greatest commandment? "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD alone! Therefore, you shall love the LORD, your God, with your whole heart, and with your whole being, and with your whole strength." Or the second like it? "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
TheTrisagion said:
I agree. I am just saying I think your logic is flawed.
Show us the flaw.
Are you referring to yourself in the plural, Stephen?

Stephen Levi

Reaction score

The ONLY way anyone, can abide in the love of Jesus Christ,
is to keep the Commandments of Jesus Christ, as Jesus Christ
kept the commandments of God, His Father.

True or false?