• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

The Culinary Thread

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ACROD
More than just a recipie thread, but also techniques and flavour compositions that you believe work perfectly well for both home and professional cooking, and bringing the latter into the former

(Yes I know the two recipie threads in the family section exist, but I intend to transcend those)

On a starting note, I saw a roux instructable that said I need to cook my roux for 20 minutes to reach the blonde stage, but it turned, even under proper heat, straight to a brown roux to a dark brown in about 10 minutes.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I'll be accused of heresy here by the purists, but I never make a roux for white sauce and the like. I blend the flour in the milk, and make sure the brew simmers for two or three minutes to properly cook the flour. MUCH easier, and gives the same results.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
TheMathematician said:
On a starting note, I saw a roux instructable that said I need to cook my roux for 20 minutes to reach the blonde stage, but it turned, even under proper heat, straight to a brown roux to a dark brown in about 10 minutes.
electric stove?

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
TheMathematician said:
electric stove?
I hate electric stoves.

Some other thoughts

Did you use clarified butter?

The amount of time also depends on the volume and I suspect you need to lower your heat if you do not see the color transition transition.

On another related note, I made scrambled eggs at the very lowest simmer setting with constant stirring for >30 minutes on Saturday. It did not seem that much creamier compared to 15 min on low. I am going to try a temperature gradient next time: medium low to get closer to the denaturation temperature, off heat, then low until it start to start to stick, off heat, then simmer to to finish off. I like sunny side up so I usually do not make scrambled, unless requested.

Inquirer

Elder
Reaction score
If I bake pulled pork in a casserole, do I have to do anything to keep it moist (prevent it from drying out)?

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
ACROD
To the above, i forgot to clarify it, which probally did some bad things to it, and it was on a gas stove.

If im making(on a non fasting day of course, a Risotto, what should I pair it with?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
TheMathematician said:
To the above, i forgot to clarify it, which probally did some bad things to it, and it was on a gas stove.

If im making(on a non fasting day of course, a Risotto, what should I pair it with?

Mushrooms.

and risotto can be fasting....use veggie broth...

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:

Sauteed Radicchio ( and use dry vermouth or white wine as part of the liquid), Peas and Artichokes,  Fennel and Bacon,    Prosciuto, Mushrooms and Mozzarella

(Ideas from Cooking Rice with An Italian Accent by Father Giuseppe Orsini.  There's about 30 other recipes for Risotto in this book.  )

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
TheMathematician said:
It really depends on what is in the risotto.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Inquirer said:
If I bake pulled pork in a casserole, do I have to do anything to keep it moist (prevent it from drying out)?
You can wrap aluminum foil around it.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:

Braised lamb shanks, a salad (your choice) with a balsamic vinaigrette, sliced crusty baguette with a garlic/olive oil/balsamic/chili pepper dip, chianti classico. Tiramisu for dessert.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
The real question that has defied theologians and scientists alike is:

how to make homemade gyros that tastes authentic?
You mean without a gyro spit? That is a good question.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Fabio Leite said:
Opus118 said:
Fabio Leite said:

Yes. Not a common thing to have at home. :)
There are countertop rotisseries that won't take up a whole kitchen.  And if you have an outdoor grill (especially a gas grill) you can have an automatic rotisserie/spit set up.  It's not going to be exactly the same, but the results will be better than baking in an oven.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Fabio Leite said:
Opus118 said:
Fabio Leite said:

There are countertop rotisseries that won't take up a whole kitchen.  And if you have an outdoor grill (especially a gas grill) you can have an automatic rotisserie/spit set up.  It's not going to be exactly the same, but the results will be better than baking in an oven.
A horizontal rotisserie sounds perilous and slicing off that rotisserie while it is cooking is also more complex. Then again, it might work, at least initially.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Opus118 said:
hecma925 said:
Fabio Leite said:
Opus118 said:
Fabio Leite said:

A horizontal rotisserie sounds perilous and slicing off that rotisserie while it is cooking is also more complex. Then again, it might work, at least initially.
There's no way to practically replicate the true experience of slicing up just the crispy bits while it rotates, that's for sure; especially if you're trying to serve a lot of people.  Horizontal is what happens to be more available, but vertical ones for the home exist.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fabio Leite said:
And if anyone knows, I'd like to know which are the best cuts of meat, chicken, pork and lamb for gyros.
I do not know. My knowledge is limited to the style that my sister introduced in the SF bay area around in 1972 which was a 50:50 mixture of ground lamb and ground beef. The vertical rotating spit was homemade.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
for a mere 200 bucks....

http://www.commercial-catering.com/mini-doner-kebab-shawrama-electric-machine-home-garden-catering-rollergrill-gyro-gyros/

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Opus118 said:
hecma925 said:
Fabio Leite said:
Opus118 said:
Fabio Leite said:

There's no way to practically replicate the true experience of slicing up just the crispy bits while it rotates, that's for sure; especially if you're trying to serve a lot of people.  Horizontal is what happens to be more available, but vertical ones for the home exist.
If I had a horizontal I would  certainly try. I am sure there is a way to make this work with trial and error.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
for a mere 200 bucks....

http://www.commercial-catering.com/mini-doner-kebab-shawrama-electric-machine-home-garden-catering-rollergrill-gyro-gyros/
Thanks Denise, I was hoping there was something around that size. It is unfortunately still beyond my budget.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Opus118 said:
Fabio Leite said:
And if anyone knows, I'd like to know which are the best cuts of meat, chicken, pork and lamb for gyros.
I do not know. My knowledge is limited to the style that my sister introduced in the SF bay area around in 1972 which was a 50:50 mixture of ground lamb and ground beef. The vertical rotating spit was homemade.
I've seen different recipes with different ratios, but it helps if the beef has good marbling.    As for pork, butt (for those unfamiliar, is actually the upper shoulder) is best because it has lots of fat and marbling to help keep it juicy during cooking.  For chicken, thighs would be a good bet, again because it's fattier.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Opus118 said:
Fabio Leite said:
I've seen different recipes with different ratios, but it helps if the beef has good marbling.    As for pork, butt (for those unfamiliar, is actually the upper shoulder) is best because it has lots of fat and marbling to help keep it juicy during cooking.  For chicken, thighs would be a good bet, again because it's fattier.
You are correct. I did not get that far.