• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Disappearing Orthodox

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that, usually on Fridays, usually in the late morning/afternoon, this board totally disappears.  Sometimes just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to almost a whole day.  Can anyone shed some light on this strange phenomenon??

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Yes, the board was down last Friday.  That was not pre-planned or intentional....just some technical difficulties.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
We're up and running the rest of the time.

Granted there are occasional blips....server hiccups, etc.  These things happen.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
On fridays the muezzin calls us to prayer but isha'allah we're always back on saturday.

Salaam.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Most people post here when they're supposed to be working. On Fridays they have switched to planning their weekend.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Weekend attendance is rather sparse. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Friday evening is the perfect time for parties since there is weekend, there is no fast and there are no services next day.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
I've noticed lately that, usually on Fridays, usually in the late morning/afternoon, this board totally disappears.  Sometimes just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to almost a whole day.  Can anyone shed some light on this strange phenomenon??
I've not read the responses.

But you are correct that more often than other times of late the board has been down on Fridays. Evidently, a few of those time were due to attempt to "upgrade" the site. Last week was a database failure of some sort, if the return error message were correct.

Perhaps Friday is the time when the sys admin has time to play?

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
J Michael said:
I've not read the responses.

But you are correct that more often than other times of late the board has been down on Fridays. Evidently, a few of those time were due to attempt to "upgrade" the site. Last week was a database failure of some sort, if the return error message were correct.

Perhaps Friday is the time when the sys admin has time to play?
Play?  PLAY?? In Russia, is no play!  OUTRAGE!!!!

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Friday evening is the perfect time for parties since there is weekend, there is no fast and there are no services next day.
Do you fast by liturgical rather than solar days?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:

No fast on friday?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Alpo said:
No fast on friday?
No fast on Friday evening.

Friday evening is traditional and most popular time for wedding receptions for Orthodox here for example.

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpo said:
Michał Kalina said:

No fast on friday?
Traditionally days run from and to sundown. It's not uncommon for people, therefore, to start Friday's fast at sundown on Thursday and end it sundown Friday (after which it's Saturday, so no fast). This isn't common in the west, but it's certainly what my Romanian in-laws do. I don't do it here because I think I'd have a tendency to start at midnight and finish at sundown, but when we're with them I do as they do.

James

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
jmbejdl said:
Alpo said:
Michał Kalina said:

No fast on friday?
Traditionally days run from and to sundown. It's not uncommon for people, therefore, to start Friday's fast at sundown on Thursday and end it sundown Friday (after which it's Saturday, so no fast). This isn't common in the west, but it's certainly what my Romanian in-laws do. I don't do it here because I think I'd have a tendency to start at midnight and finish at sundown, but when we're with them I do as they do.

James
Sounds like a local variation.

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
jmbejdl said:
Alpo said:
Michał Kalina said:

No fast on friday?

James
No, I don't think so, more of a holdout from a past practice. A priest told me that it used to be normal but that it's been dying out as we now tend to think in days that run from midnight to midnight rather than the Church days (perhaps more accurately nights and days, but nobody speaks like that any more) that run from sundown to sundown. Apparently its not that unusual, particularly for older people in rural areas (and my wife's region certainly is) in Romania to still go by the Church days, though.

James

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:

If someone starts paying me on the weekends I'll show up.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
vamrat said:
LizaSymonenko said:

If someone starts paying me on the weekends I'll show up.
I'll pay you in compliments. Here's an advance payment:

You're so witty, vamrat! You make me feel so alive!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Vamrat can go in brick ****-houses and come out smelling like a rose.

Flynn wished he could be in like Vamrat.

Vamrat's anger evaporates at the speed of **** going through a tin horn.

The phrase "ain't that a kick in the head" was coined to describe the impossibility of understanding Vamrat.

FatherHLL

Archon
Reaction score
jmbejdl said:
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
jmbejdl said:
Alpo said:
Michał Kalina said:

No fast on friday?

James
No, I don't think so, more of a holdout from a past practice. A priest told me that it used to be normal but that it's been dying out as we now tend to think in days that run from midnight to midnight rather than the Church days (perhaps more accurately nights and days, but nobody speaks like that any more) that run from sundown to sundown. Apparently its not that unusual, particularly for older people in rural areas (and my wife's region certainly is) in Romania to still go by the Church days, though.

James
Right.  I remember that with Archbishop Vsevolod (memory eternal), if I ate with him on Thursday I was fasting but not on Friday night.  One can see this in the older monstic typika where they are having olive oil after Vespers on Friday night during Great Lent.  Even more recent instructions indicate that fasting begins after Vespers of the preceding afternoon/evening:  “This afternoon we end the eating of cheese, eggs and fish. That is why this Sunday is called Cheese-Fare, i.e. the end of eating or the discontinuance of cheese.”

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
It's Friday and we're still here.
The posting volume has gone down significantly. Almost zero. Below zero, in fact.