• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

"The doors! The doors!"

Landon77

Elder
Reaction score
  I would like to propose that we change the deacon's line, "The doors!  The doors!" to , "Turn your cellphones off!"  ;)

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
LOL!!  Lucky for me, I wasn't drinking coffee when I read this..

Ebor

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I've heard my priest, before the sermon, address the congregation saying, "Unless you're talking to Jesus on your cellphones, you had better turn them off."  A liturgy at our church would not be complete without someone's phone going off during Communion.  I don't think people have bad intentions, they just don't think about turning them off at church.

Silouan

High Elder
Reaction score
Maybe it is just luck or coincidence but I have rarely heard a cellphone go off in church - ROCOR, GOA or even in my RCC days. 

As a cashier at a retail store though I get annoyed when with cell phones.  If someone wants to talk on their phone throughout an entire transaction that is routine, I don't care (I actually enjoy the sort of break from the ridiculous "guest service" routine we are supposed to do).  But it does irk me when something is not usual (i.e credit card is declined, card machine can't read the magnatic strip) and people aren't willing to pause their conversations to deal with whatever isn't right.  And it is not important conversations these people are having either - it is along the lines of what they ordered at starbucks or what color of shirt they found on sale....

Eremitike

Reaction score
A parish I visited last Sunday had a sign in the Narthex not only telling people to turn off their cell phones, but reminding them that electronic games were prohibited, as well as gum-chewing in church. I guess they have a lot of kids there, and parents that need to be educated also.

I heard of an electronic device being made in Japan that jams cell phone signals inside of large rooms so that they won't ring and disturb the occupants. I'll bet once they hit the market, many parish councils will receive requests to purchase these from their priests :)

Michael

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Eremitike said:
I heard of an electronic device being made in Japan that jams cell phone signals inside of large rooms so that they won't ring and disturb the occupants. I'll bet once they hit the market, many parish councils will receive requests to purchase these from their priests :)
Those devices are available now. I'm sure many priests who learn of them are tempted; but at about $2000 per installation I doubt many have approached the parish council for funding.  ;)

Crucifer

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.uscj.org
Faith
Jewish(Conservative)
Someone who was an usher at Foundry UMC in Washington, DC told me that the entire time he was president Bill Clinton never took his cell phone into church with him. If the president of the United States can do w/o his cell phone for a littl ewhile on Sunday morning, why can't these people?

Landon77

Elder
Reaction score
Eremitike said:
A parish I visited last Sunday had a sign in the Narthex not only telling people to turn off their cell phones, but reminding them that electronic games were prohibited, as well as gum-chewing in church. I guess they have a lot of kids there, and parents that need to be educated also.

Michael
I may be mistaken, but I think they've been outlawed in the US.

monkvasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
Before cell phones we all enjoyed the ride home as it was free from ringing phones.  Now that's a thing of the past.  I can't imagine why people would want to lose quite time?  Are we that important that we can't be away from pur phones for an hour or 2?

Thomas

Archon
Reaction score
We've resolved it well for ourselves---we simply don't have a cell phone.

In Christ,
Thomas

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
monkvasyl said:
Before cell phones we all enjoyed the ride home as it was free from ringing phones.  Now that's a thing of the past.  I can't imagine why people would want to lose quite time?  Are we that important that we can't be away from pur phones for an hour or 2?
Well, I do keep mine with me most of the time, but it is pay as you go (Virgin Mobile), I always keep it on buzz, and it isn't used more than a few times a week.

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
There is also a proposal to replace the "Arise! Master bless!" sequence at vigil with "Turn off your cellphones!" I think this is funny and appropriate, but it would have to go through at least a local council prior to adoption