• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Embryo in Orthodox Christian Theology and Tradition

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Excellent article by Metropolitan Nikolas Hatzinikolaou:
http://anothercity.org/the-embryo-in-orthodox-christian-theology-and-tradition/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Selam

The least of all

Reaction score
There seems to be a growing literature on this even in Orthodox circles and some helpful podcasts on Ancient faith radio.

Orthodoxy and Bioethics by Dr. Michael Polnik who holds a PhD in bioethics
http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodoxyandbioethics

And some podcasts from the Everyday Theology from the Eagle River Institute
https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/everydaytheology

I have in mind particularly those by Dr. Gayle Woloschak who is a radiation oncologist and has a few episodes on bioethics and personhood.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The least of all said:
There seems to be a growing literature on this even in Orthodox circles and some helpful podcasts on Ancient faith radio.

Orthodoxy and Bioethics by Dr. Michael Polnik who holds a PhD in bioethics
http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodoxyandbioethics

And some podcasts from the Everyday Theology from the Eagle River Institute
https://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/everydaytheology

I have in mind particularly those by Dr. Gayle Woloschak who is a radiation oncologist and has a few episodes on bioethics and personhood.
Wonderful. Thank you!

Selam

CarolS

Elder
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Over the years I have encountered many Orthodox Christians who could not explain what the Church teaches on this subject, or even if the Church had an opinion on this. The cited article gives many detailed and reasoned arguments to use against those who question to sanctity of life from conception.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, thanks Gebre!

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
The least of all said:
PhD in bioethics
Lol
I guess somebody's gotta tackle these important issues, even if attempts up to this point have not been the greatest.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
NicholasMyra said:
The least of all said:
PhD in bioethics
Lol
What's so funny? The basic science of human behaviour and the science of life don't really match up?
I think he sees most of what passes for bioethics as nothing but repugnant utilitarianism. I forget.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
There's a repugnant version of utilitarianism? That sucks...

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
There's a repugnant version of utilitarianism? That sucks...
Well, lifeboat ethics situations are always difficult no matter what your system.

But when it leads to things like utility monsters or a lot of the crap that comes out of Peter Singer's mouth, yeah it gets pretty weird.

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
RaphaCam said:
NicholasMyra said:
The least of all said:
PhD in bioethics
Lol
What's so funny? The basic science of human behaviour and the science of life don't really match up?
PhD in Philosophy with a focus on ethics and a focus on medical/biological cases in particular? Sure.

PhD in "bioethics"? Yeah. That's like having a mechanical engineering degree in race car studies. It's a red flag. IMO the bioethics as a discipline thing only comes up when we're talking about Anglo-American Christianity or the media/corporate medical world.

IreneOlinyk

High Elder
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
The least of all said:
PhD in bioethics
Lol
"Michael Polnik is a Bioethicist with a Doctorate of Professional Studies in Bioethics Ethics and Healthcare Policy... Dr. Polnik owns and operates Stark Bioethics Consulting in Ohio. He offers advice, training, and strategies for contemporary ethical and policy issues. "

http://www.voicesinbioethics.net/michael-polnik/

I believe that degree is a DPS.  It is a professional degree like for example a DEdu in Education and not an academic degree Ph.D.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Why does Michael Polnik own a company called Stark?

He named it after Iron Man... didn't he? :p

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
IreneOlinyk said:
NicholasMyra said:
The least of all said:
PhD in bioethics
Lol
"Michael Polnik is a Bioethicist with a Doctorate of Professional Studies in Bioethics Ethics and Healthcare Policy... Dr. Polnik owns and operates Stark Bioethics Consulting in Ohio. He offers advice, training, and strategies for contemporary ethical and policy issues. "

I believe that degree is a DPS.  It is a professional degree like for example a DEdu in Education and not an academic degree Ph.D.
lol! There you go!

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
IreneOlinyk said:
NicholasMyra said:
The least of all said:
PhD in bioethics
Lol

lol! There you go!
So you really haven't come across any bioethics writing that you think is any good, huh? If you're right, then that doesn't bode well for our future as a species...

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
Volnutt said:
So you really haven't come across any bioethics writing that you think is any good, huh?
I've read good stuff that deals with ethical questions about medical cases, personhood, nature, personal identity, persistence, what counts as death, consent, free will, etc.

I haven't read anything good that was marketed as bioethics. The bioethics dudes, from what I've seen, are non-philosophers who treat ethics the way that every other discipline treats quantum physics--as a resource to generate authoritative-sounding proof points and to veil baseless claims in a sense of expertise. These aren't people who deliberately expose those damning objections to their own arguments they aren't able to answer. These aren't people who make their opponents' arguments better before arguing against them. These aren't people who take a disproved claim as a real hit to their own position. These aren't people who correct those who hold the same conclusions they do but arrived at them through faulty argument. These aren't people who would rather lose an argument than get things wrong, or get things right for the wrong reasons.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Volnutt said:
So you really haven't come across any bioethics writing that you think is any good, huh?
I've read good stuff that deals with ethical questions about medical cases, personhood, nature, personal identity, persistence, what counts as death, consent, free will, etc.

I haven't read anything good that was marketed as bioethics. The bioethics dudes, from what I've seen, are non-philosophers who treat ethics the way that every other discipline treats quantum physics--as a resource to generate authoritative-sounding proof points and to veil baseless claims in a sense of expertise. These aren't people who deliberately expose those damning objections to their own arguments they aren't able to answer. These aren't people who make their opponents' arguments better before arguing against them. These aren't people who take a disproved claim as a real hit to their own position. These aren't people who correct those who hold the same conclusions they do but arrived at them through faulty argument. These aren't people who would rather lose an argument than get things wrong, or get things right for the wrong reasons.
Huh, doesn't sound good, yeah. Hopefully we'll get it sorted better before the cloning and the vat babies and the AIs come along, then...

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Volnutt said:
Why does Michael Polnik own a company called Stark?

He named it after Iron Man... didn't he? :p
Or the heroic family in The Game of Thrones.
lol, I guess it depends on how he sees himself- the hero from above or the hero from bellow.