• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Fall of Palmyra

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
How lonely sits the city
    that once was full of people!
How like a widow she has become,
    she that was great among the nations!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32820857

Islamic State militants have taken near complete control of the Syrian city of Palmyra, home to some of the world's most magnificent ancient ruins.

There are fears that the militants will destroy the ruins, which Unesco has designated a World Heritage site.

Government troops have almost entirely withdrawn from the city following an IS advance, an eyewitness told the BBC.

IS militants have demolished several ancient sites that pre-date Islam in Iraq, including Hatra and Nimrud.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
When I was in Syria I wandered around Palmyra all by myself. A whole city that once rivaled Rome.
I shudder to think it lasted all that long for me to see it, to then be obliterated.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I don't know... ISIS might have a change of heart and try boosting their tourism industry.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
It would be a tremendous loss, but it pales in comparison to the horrors inflicted upon the Syriac Orthodox faithful and other human beings in territories held by Daesh.  Lord have mercy.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
I don't know... ISIS might have a change of heart and try boosting their tourism industry.
I was watching VICE the other day, and apparently, they actually make a lot of money on this stuff (so they don't destroy all of them) by selling them to museums in the black market who are willing to pay millions!

I however while saddened at heritage being destroyed (no doubt many would be Christian), I think it is also a trap that we fall into that furthers ISIS propaganda.  They tell people "see, they like pagan artifacts more than human blood".  I hate to say it, but at that point, forget the artifacts.  Let them burn and be destroyed.  The media should concentrate on human beings who suffer, not things that they wish to put on display to further our own lust for knowledge.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Antonious Nikolas said:
It would be a tremendous loss, but it pales in comparison to the horrors inflicted upon the Syriac Orthodox faithful and other human beings in territories held by Daesh.  Lord have mercy.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1012722288747543

While worshipers were praying during a Liturgy next door, the residence of the Archbishop of Aleppo, currently in captivity, is bombed. 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1012722288747543

While worshipers were praying during a Liturgy next door, the residence of the Archbishop of Aleppo, currently in captivity, is bombed.
Lord have mercy.