• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The First Crusade, the true story

JR

Elder
Reaction score
On November 27, 1095, Pope Urban II stood up at the Council of Clermont in central France to make an important announcement. Persians (by whom he meant the Turks), “a people rejected by God,” had risen up against the Christians in the East, he said. It was imperative for the knighthood of Europe to rush to defend their brethren. Take up arms, he urged, and defend the faithful who were suffering unspeakable deeds at the hands of the oppressors.

The story of the First Crusade has remained largely the same ever since. The expedition that eventually reached and captured Jerusalem in 1099 was conceived by the pope, who seized the chance to encourage men in Western Europe (above all France) to march to drive the Turks back from major Christian sites. It is a story that was commemorated in chronicles, poems and songs almost as soon as the Crusaders reached the Holy City; and it is a story that has been told for generations ever since.

Read the rest here: http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite4_1_24/02/2012_429827

KShaft

Elder
Reaction score
Lies! The Latins conspired to conquer the Orthodox lands for the relics and booty (which includes treasure AND hot Greek women!)! Killing mohammedans and liberating the land was just icing on the cake.  Soon they would try to make all Orthodox Uniates, as they only partially  accomplished at the Union of Breast. "You will have stations of the Cross!!!"

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
KShaft said:
Lies! The Latins conspired to conquer the Orthodox lands for the relics and booty (which includes treasure AND hot Greek women!)! Killing mohammedans and liberating the land was just icing on the cake.  Soon they would try to make all Orthodox Uniates, as they only partially  accomplished at the Union of Breast. "You will have stations of the Cross!!!"
Sigh...  ::)

KShaft

Elder
Reaction score
Cognomen said:
Don't worry, KShaft; I got it.  :)
Im glad someone did. I was trying not to laugh typing the thing.... I dont see how anyone reading it would take it seriously. Especially the "breast" part.

Just say it with exaggerated disdain... "Latin"

You really emphasize the "L"  heheh.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
KShaft said:
Cognomen said:
Im glad someone did. I was trying not to laugh typing the thing.... I dont see how anyone reading it would take it seriously. Especially the "breast" part.

Mufasa, mufasa, mufasa!

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
KShaft said:
Cognomen said:

I'm still not getting it.  Could you draw a picture?

KShaft

Elder
Reaction score
vamrat said:
KShaft said:
Cognomen said:

Have you seen "Dune"? the movie from the '80s?  Okay, remeber when sting yells "I will kill him!!"? Now have that same tone for when in my post I say : "You will have stations of the cross!!"

Does that help at all?

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
KShaft said:
vamrat said:
KShaft said:
Cognomen said:

Have you seen "Dune"? the movie from the '80s?  Okay, remeber when sting yells "I will kill him!!"? Now have that same tone for when in my post I say : "You will have stations of the cross!!"

Does that help at all?
Ah.  Thanks for the clarification.  I understand now.  So the Crusaders were pretty much Harkonnens?