The Gen-X Thread

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
I had this idea to start a thread where we Gen-Xers can connect and post anything Gen-X related. Anything is fair game: post pieces of nostalgia photos, film clips, music, pop culture, etc., share memories of historical events, or just reflections on life in general during the 70's, 80's, & 90's.

Here's a few I thought of just to start things off:

Anyone else remember witnessing this live as a kid? We watched it in our 5th grade classroom as it happened:

How many of you can name all the artists in this classic?:

Coverage of the death of John Lennon in 1980:

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
I hope you will contribute as well. I think there are several of us here around the same age, but everyone should feel free to chime in regardless of age.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I think I remember seeing the Challenger disaster live, but I can't be sure. I would have been in 2nd grade, and I'm not positive that my "memory" of it is real, and not just something I made up afterwards, influenced by other people telling stories of their experience. I did rewatch the coverage on the anniversary this past January though, as well as reports on (I think) the other two major fatality-causing explosions in the program's history.

Anyway, on to something happier...

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
I think I remember seeing the Challenger disaster live, but I can't be sure. I would have been in 2nd grade, and I'm not positive that my "memory" of it is real, and not just something I made up afterwards, influenced by other people telling stories of their experience. I did rewatch the coverage on the anniversary this past January though, as well as reports on (I think) the other two major fatality-causing explosions in the program's history.

Anyway, on to something happier...

I knew I could count on you brother! Actually, I give credit to you for helping spark this thread idea with your "micro-machines" reference the other day. (y):cool:

I remember wanting that particular set of Legos, but alas it never happened! I also remember us kids somehow convincing our grandmother to say "where's the beef?" and all laughing hysterically when she finally did. She didn't know what we were talking about. 😂

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The assassination of Anwar Sadat.

The attempt on the life of Ronald Reagan.

Saw both of these on the news.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score

This next one stirs up emotions. Comparing the early 90's to how messed up things are now brings tears.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
How many of you can name all the artists in this classic?:
I got more than I thought I would. My favorite shot was the "celebrity gaze" one starting from the toes and going up to the head of Michael Jackson, mostly because of how out of place it seemed, but I guess he was who he was.

Here's a horror film trailer, not the most mainstream choice but one of my favorites...

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Just found out that Daniel's love interest in Karate Kid 2 (seen in the thumbnail of the vid above) was also Commodore Oh in the first season of Star Trek: Picard and I don't know quite what to make of that

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
Just found out that Daniel's love interest in Karate Kid 2 (seen in the thumbnail of the vid above) was also Commodore Oh in the first season of Star Trek: Picard and I don't know quite what to make of that
I had a big crush on her as a kid after seeing KK2.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Warned
Reaction score
I had both of those figures!

This guy was also a personal favorite (Destro):

Tzimis

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This next one stirs up emotions. Comparing the early 90's to how messed up things are now brings tears.
I spent a lot of time in Manhattan back then. Even the squirrels seem at peace in that video.
For some reason the squirrels are all suicidal this year. There plastered on every roadway.
It feels like the empire is fading.