• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The numbers game

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
In the thread on the reviving monastery in Kosovo, Abdur exclaimed that Orthodoxy may die a slow death in America. This might happen. At the very least it'll shrink as third- and fourth-generation ethnics leave as they assimilate. But it has a fighting chance owing largely to the small countercurrent that is the convert phenomenon, represented by most Orthodox active online.

Which got me thinking about another phenomenon, which doesn't make institutional Orthodoxy in America look too good - fibbing about numbers of members. A friend once reckoned that if one jurisdiction's real membership were as big as it claims there'd be thousands of people in each congregation and no such congregation exists. The inflated number of all Orthodox in America is about 4 million, topping the Episcopalians, but it's safe to say Episcopalians, themselves an always small and now shrinking denomination, still outnumber Eastern Orthodox. Some places count all baptized members, not just practising members (who I think only total in the 10,000s for all EO groups in the US), which makes some sense, but another counts all members of its ethnic group - people who 'should' be _____ (name the ethnicity) Orthodox (grandparents were at least nominal members, etc.). Foul!

Why lie?

Dan Lauffer

Reaction score
:eek:Mama Mia! I would not have thought the Orthodox numbers to be so small. No wonder most Protestants don't even know Orthodoxy exists. If your numbers are correct they are almost right.

Dan Lauffer

sinjinsmythe

High Elder
Reaction score
Those numbers of 4 million Orthodox are inflated. Many times, those numbers only refer to those baptized and do not refer to practicing members. I believe to that the numbers of world Orthodox are also inflated. By that I mean they only count those baptized into the faith and not those that actually practice the faith which is much lower.

E

emmaus

sinjinsmythe said:
Those numbers of 4 million Orthodox are inflated. Many times, those numbers only refer to those baptized and do not refer to practicing members. I believe to that the numbers of world Orthodox are also inflated. By that I mean they only count those baptized into the faith and not those that actually practice the faith which is much lower.
The same must be said of Catholics and Protestants, as well as "professors" of other faiths.

Abdur

JoeS

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Liars figure, and figures lie.

Who cares how many Orthodox there are worldwide as long as it is the right belief. Its not important to belong to the largest religious sect because if it were, I would have to consider becoming muslim. And I dont see that happening in my lifetime. Remember there were only several thousand Christians in the world after Pentecost but they were correct.
JoeS