The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
Peter J said:
I wonder ... do you suppose a "The Old OCnet Crowd Will Love This!" conversation is going on somewhere else in the world/internet?
I doubt it. We don't do general purges here - no Inquisition.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Peter J said:
I wonder ... do you suppose a "The Old OCnet Crowd Will Love This!" conversation is going on somewhere else in the world/internet?
I doubt it. There is quite a bit more room here for freedom of speach. We have very gracious hosts.

Theophilos78

Archon
Reaction score
Soon I am going to celebrate the 4th anniversary of getting myself banned from that forum.  ;D

FormerReformer

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
mcommini2.blogspot.com
Peter J said:
Actually, there is- right here in this very forum. Nobody knows about it, it's a super-secret ultra-private subforum, but it's where Fr Anastasios and everyone else that has been around since 2002-2004 meets together to laugh at us "newbies". All those posters whose old conversations you've seen but don't post here anymore are actually all over there.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
It seems someone's main existence in CAF is to always oppose me.  Maybe I should start loving the Pope so this guy would turn and become anti-papist :p

Sorry, just ranting.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
FormerReformer said:
Peter J said:
Actually, there is- right here in this very forum. Nobody knows about it, it's a super-secret ultra-private subforum, but it's where Fr Anastasios and everyone else that has been around since 2002-2004 meets together to laugh at us "newbies". All those posters whose old conversations you've seen but don't post here anymore are actually all over there.
This poster has been marked for deletion for knowing too much. Move along people, nothing to see here.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
choy said:
It seems someone's main existence in CAF is to always oppose me.  Maybe I should start loving the Pope so this guy would turn and become anti-papist :p

Sorry, just ranting.
You know, you don't have to post there.

Do they hold a gun to your head or something?

choy

Archon
Reaction score
biro said:
You know, you don't have to post there.

Do they hold a gun to your head or something?
LOL, I know.  But I find it entertaining.  Also perhaps its just force of habit.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'd like to pose a question to all of you who are not on CAF these days: Would you return if they once again had an Eastern Christianity Forum (assuming that they unbanned those of you who have been banned)?

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Peter J said:
I'd like to pose a question to all of you who are not on CAF these days: Would you return if they once again had an Eastern Christianity Forum (assuming that they unbanned those of you who have been banned)?
As a great General once said:  "Nuts"

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Peter J said:
It would depend on the quality of the posters. Cavaradossi is great but there is no Roman knowledgable enough to oppose him.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Peter J said:
It would depend on the quality of the posters. Cavaradossi is great but there is no Roman knowledgable enough to oppose him.
You are inflating my ego. :laugh:

There are certainly other posters there who are greater than I (like Apotheoun), I just happen to be more outspoken.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Yeah...Apotheoun, Cavaradossi, Nine_Two...there are good quality posters there, but they are outnumbered by others who want to assert Roman prerogatives over even Eastern Catholics' own devotions, as we see again most recently in arguments about how ECCs shouldn't celebrate post-schism Eastern saints, which is just silly.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
Yeah...Apotheounth, Cavaradossi, Nine_Two...there are good quality posters there, but they are outnumbered by others who want to assert Roman prerogatives over even Eastern Catholics' own devotions, as we see again most recently in arguments about how ECCs shouldn't celebrate post-schism Eastern saints, which is just silly.
The actiontions of these Latins doesn't necessarily come from a bad place. They are zealous to defend the Church from modern ideas of relative truth, branch theory, etc. I know, becaue I used to be one of those Latins who refused to venerate post-schism EO saints.
That being said, once they can be made to understand that it is God who makes saints, and not the Church, then there is hope that they will change their understanding of veneration of holy priests, monks, nuns, etc. outside the visible bounds of the Catholic Church. This does not compromise truth. It merely recognizes that we cannot limit God.
These Latins also need to understand that if the Church recognizes these saints, we must as well.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
I still think it's weird for RC's to venerate saints like St. Mark of Ephesus.

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
I still think it's weird for RC's to venerate saints like St. Mark of Ephesus.
Haha. Agreed. There might be problem with certain EO saints. I don't think that St. Mark of Ephesus is venerated by neither the Latin, nor the Byzantine Churches.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
Yeah...Apotheoun, Cavaradossi, Nine_Two...there are good quality posters there, but they are outnumbered by others who want to assert Roman prerogatives over even Eastern Catholics' own devotions, as we see again most recently in arguments about how ECCs shouldn't celebrate post-schism Eastern saints, which is just silly.
I'm actually a trifle surprised to hear you say that.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Think about it, Peter J: If the Melkites, for instance, came into union with Rome in the 17th century, isn't it a bigger disruption to their traditional spirituality (which Rome has called them, and the other Eastern Catholic Churches, to come back to) to tell them to stop venerating saints from their Orthodox past, in order that they should be "more Catholic" or what have you? A similar example could be made of, say, St. Isaac of Nineveh who is venerated in both the EO and OO (and as far as I know, also in the Catholic communion), despite not being a member of either. To put it another way, a person's Orthodoxy does not change based on who venerates him. If the Melkites want to venerate post-schism saints from their pre-Catholic days, why not? I would much rather have Coptic Catholics looking to the likes of St. Severus (if that happens; I don't know, I just mean it as an example) than Thomas Aquinas or Therese of Lisieux or someone else who really has no basis being in their tradition but is suddenly held up as an example for them purely because it's somehow 'wrong' to venerate their own saints. If it wouldn't have been wrong before the 18th century when they came into union with Rome, why is it suddenly wrong now? Unless, of course, you want to say it's Rome's prerogative to deform their traditional spirituality (which I think would be most honest, but also not anything an ECC would be likely to say/admit/believe), at which point you'd have to wonder what it means to be an Eastern Catholic at all. Either Rome is really serious about this "return to your traditions" thing or she isn't.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Alright, I guess the question is: Does it cut both ways? Specifically, we know that you regard it as silly for Catholics to say that other Catholics shouldn't celebrate post-schism Orthodox saints ... but do you also think it's silly for Orthodox to say that other Orthodox shouldn't celebrate post-schism Catholic saints? (I would be surprised if you said Yes to that, but based on your last post I'm guessing you won't.)

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
The difference, Peter J, is that since the Eastern Catholic Churches did not exist until several centuries after the Great Schism, it is not alien to their (Orthodox, or at least Orthodox-rooted) tradition to venerate post-schism saints that were already commemorated prior to their union with Rome. There is no such similar circumstance regarding Roman Catholic saints vis-a-vis the Orthodox Church.