• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Old CAF Crowd Will Love This!

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
choy said:
We're running out of Orthodox members over at CAF.
A shame. It's become so hostile at CAF that I really have lost much of my desire to post there.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
KShaft said:
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
They even gave me the boot. They can't take a little heat. I am quite surprised that you aren't banned over there yet.
No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff.
I find your second sentence pretty hard to believe (I could be wrong -- I seldom interact with non-Christians on CAF). But I have certainly known a bunch of traditional Catholics who don't like the way things are at CAF.

Although, interestingly enough, the traditional crowd and the Eastern crowd generally don't ally with each other at CAF.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
They even gave me the boot. They can't take a little heat. I am quite surprised that you aren't banned over there yet.
Indeed, I generally recommend taking care about what you say to whom over there.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Also most upsetting is that they banned Hesychios. It is too bad that he does not post here at OC.net very often. :-\

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is CAF the same place where they got rid of the Orthodox section and banned a bunch of people? I guess there were alot of people converting to Orthodoxy and that didn't sit well with the mods.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
Everyone is surprised, myself included  ;D

I have began to wonder if the admins were on vacation or something.  They used to be quick to the trigger.  I have gotten a lot of warnings over the last few months.  But my recent pro-Orthodox position hasn't even gotten me one warning whilst it has gotten many recognized Orthodox posters banned.  I'm guessing they are trying to keep me on hoping those who are convincing me to reconsider Orthodoxy might succeed?  I don't know.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
KShaft said:
No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff. Call em on it and your an old fashioned, uncharitable, perhaps bigoted, big fat meanie. They're ecumenical towards everyone except those who adhere to the truth or at least try to.
They don't have good, solid tracts against Orthodoxy.  I guess that is why.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
But my heart belongs to Finland
choy said:
KShaft said:
No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff. Call em on it and your an old fashioned, uncharitable, perhaps bigoted, big fat meanie. They're ecumenical towards everyone except those who adhere to the truth or at least try to.
They don't have good, solid tracts against Orthodoxy.  I guess that is why.
This. Even I could disprove every argument they made in their silly anti-Orthodoxy tracts. On the other hand, it's hard to argue against the truth so any tract against Orthodoxy will be difficult to make.

Cavaradossi said:
Also most upsetting is that they banned Hesychios. It is too bad that he does not post here at OC.net very often. :-\
That was sad. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. Hesychios was always really nice to everyone.

But meh, my three favorite posters from CAF, Dzheremi, Cavaradossi and ConstantineTG, are all here anyway. If it weren't for these luminaries I might be a Latin now.

Apotheoun said:
dzheremi said:
Also, don't make the mistake of saying Islam is a false religion. Even though it is a big competitor to Catholicism, we can't say that it's false. That's uncharitable.

Things I learned today... ;D
I also find the modern Roman Catholic position on Islam to be problematic. 
I once said the same on the Non-Catholic [sic] Religions section about the modern RC position on Judaism. Unbelievable what a can of worms I opened there! :D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Peter J said:
KShaft said:
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
No. They cant, except when its anything other than Orthodox or Traditional Catholic. I mean atheists, agnostics, yoga practioners etc... get away with all sorts of stuff.

Although, interestingly enough, the traditional crowd and the Eastern crowd generally don't ally with each other at CAF.
D-uh, the traditionalists seem to think that Eastern christians are modernists with icons.

Peter J said:
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
Indeed, I generally recommend taking care about what you say to whom over there.
I was never insulting or anything. I must admit that I was sometimes a little bit sarcastic, but that's just my writing style.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Achronos said:
Is CAF the same place where they got rid of the Orthodox section and banned a bunch of people?
Yes, they did ban a bunch of people.  :(

As for "got rid of the Orthodox section" ... they used to have an "Eastern Christianity" section, which they removed/replaced with the "Eastern Catholicism" section. To be honest, I find the complaints about that a tad strange. After all, OCnet doesn't have an "Eastern Christianity" section, but you don't see people complaining about that. (Although I suppose some of the complaints are more to the tune of "They did a bait-and-switch by having an "Eastern Christianity" forum and then suddenly replacing it." Which makes more sense to me then straights complaints about the lack of "Eastern Christianity" forum.)

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Cyrillic said:
Peter J said:
Cyrillic said:
choy said:
I was never insulting or anything. I must admit that I was sometimes a little bit sarcastic, but that's just my writing style.
Yeah, I don't recall you bein' bad.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Yeah, I still cannot believe that they banned Hesychios. I should be banned before Hesychios. That guy never had a bad word to say about anything or anybody. It shocks me some of the people who are allowed to remain (none of the present company included) while others are not, but then I guess I wouldn't make a very good mod at CAF, so it's not really my call to make.

While it is, after all, only an internet message board and nothing like an official organ of the RCC, I see the attitude over there as kind of symbolizing or at least providing a very difficult to dismiss example of why reunion is essentially a pipe dream: We are all brothers until you say something that we, the all-powerful Latins, don't like. It doesn't even have to be something there is a dogmatic position on (e.g., the Islam talk, which CCC 841 notwithstanding, seems to be an area on which even faithful Catholics may disagree); it's enough that you offend our vision of what Christianity is.

Well, what on earth are we supposed to do about that? Say that our faith is something that it's not (false), and your faith is something that it's not (true)? They would have us lie rather than confess the truth as we know it. I don't understand that. I've never known any Orthodox to want that, whether in the Orthodox-RCC dialogues, or the OO-EO dialogues, or general Christian-unbeliever dialogues, etc. I respect the RCC when it is at its least (fake) "charitable", even if they call me a heretic and an apostate in the process, because if you really believe in your faith, then that's it. This is the faith of the Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church. This other thing over there is not. This is why I liked Pope Benedict when I first read some of his writings, because he seemed to want to return to speaking plainly and with the weight of tradition on his side in restoring the Latin mass, getting rid of lax practices, etc. Basically, it seemed like he actually believed he was the Pope of a Christian church, as opposed to someone like JPII who was a goodwill ambassador to the rest of the world, inviting interfaith prayer in Assisi (egad! Lord no!), confronting communism in Poland, etc. I don't get that. I could only be a Latin so long as I believed in it, you know? And I only came to Orthodoxy after coming to believe in it -- not respecting it as the Catholics say they do, nor finding it interesting or curious, but actually believing in it. It seems like many of the Orthodox were banned because they believed just a bit too much. It is uncomfortable and uncharitable in the modern RC view.

Sorry, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night so I'm probably not making any sense, but I don't know...something about the way that the modern RCC approaches or conceives of Christianity bothers me at a very basic level, and I think CAF is a perfect example of where that fundamentally flawed faith and outlook leads in practice.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Apotheoun said:
dzheremi said:
Also, don't make the mistake of saying Islam is a false religion. Even though it is a big competitor to Catholicism, we can't say that it's false. That's uncharitable.

Things I learned today... ;D
I also find the modern Roman Catholic position on Islam to be problematic. 
I'd say it's a little more than problematic... :mad:

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Is Nine_Two the only Orthodox left at CAF?  I hardly recognize anyone else.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Cavaradossi is still there (unless they banned him in the time since they suspended me), but doesn't post very much.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
Cavaradossi is still there (unless they banned him in the time since they suspended me), but doesn't post very much.
If you say things like that, you will jinx me. :laugh:

I do not post much any longer, as I feel that the chances for any serious discussion at CAF are close to nothing now. The environment there has become stifling.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Sorry. Didn't mean to jinx you.  :)

I'm not sure I want to come back after my suspension is over. I agree that the environment over there is not very healthy...not sure I want to add to that anymore.

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I cannot imagine what possible reason they had to concoct to ban Hesychios. Words escape me.

I didn't know ConstantineTG was here, is he still EC?

choy

Archon
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
I cannot imagine what possible reason they had to concoct to ban Hesychios. Words escape me.

For the moment ;)

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
choy said:
ZealousZeal said:

For the moment ;)
You're ConstantineTG!

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Cavaradossi said:
dzheremi said:
If you say things like that, you will jinx me. :laugh:

I do not post much any longer, as I feel that the chances for any serious discussion at CAF are close to nothing now. The environment there has become stifling.
Since the last banning spree the EC forum has become untolerably boring (except that part where mardukm was called an apostate, which was funny). No surprise since they banned almost everyone who could argue against them

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
The Bearded Inquisitors. They only do Orthodoxy or Death  ;)
So they will drag me into an Orthodox Church and Chrismate me?

cool!  ;)

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
choy said:
Cyrillic said:
The Bearded Inquisitors. They only do Orthodoxy or Death  ;)
So they will drag me into an Orthodox Church and Chrismate me?

cool!  ;)
Either that or they'll smash your brains out with icons  :D

I can't wait for them to arrive in town myself, too.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know what to think of my notoriety.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Peter J said:
Not necessarily related to the "encyclopedia robot" idea, but was I a bit amazed by this statement that was made on CAF today

mardukm said:
Orthodox ideas are not wrong, but are valid and holy.
His profile reads
Religion: Orthodox in Communion w/ Rome (Copt)
(he's Catholic).
He's someone who thinks he figured out how to bridge the gap between East-West-Oriental, and that anyone who doesn't get it the way he does he treats like you're dumb or dense or just plain stupid.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Cavaradossi said:
choy said:
Honestly I don't know what to think of my notoriety.
I'm jealous. I'm not even half as notorious. :p
I won't be surprised if I end up Protestant because I get thrown out of every Apostolic Church I go to :p

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Hahaha. Now I'm told there's somebody (a Catholic) in a thread on miaphysitism telling everyone that the OO do not find "Assyro-Chaldean" Christology heretical. Boy, it's a good thing I'm suspended, because there's no way I'd just let that sit there...as though we're supposed to believe that the Coptic synod somehow magically received the 'agreed' Christological statement of 1996 as Orthodox (they didn't; the Nestorians accepted it, but the Copts rejected it, hence there is no agreement and the Nestorians are just as heretical as they ever were), just because that's what the likes of Mardukm would want to believe (being drafted, as it was, by "senior theologians" or whatever). It is better to be thought of as a heretic by a heretic than to be told by him that you and he really believe the same thing, but maybe just word it differently. That is much more offensive. I deliberately left the Latin communion and now they tell me that I didn't really leave, because of this agreement and that agreement (even ones we didn't actually sign off on)? I'm sorry, but no. The RCC is not the Borg. Go away and stay there. Don't call us; we'll call you.

I can really see why some EO (and OO, but it seems like a much smaller number) are so anti-ecumenism. This kind of thing really drives me nuts.

(Re-reading this before posting, I can really see why I got suspended. Hahaha.)

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
It's been a while since I've even lurked CAF, but I've wished for some time that mardukm would come over here where conversation isn't so... hindered. I think a conversation between ialmisry and mardukm would be so full of red font and maps, it would be epic.

choy said:
ZealousZeal said:

For the moment ;)
Nice to see you around these parts. I'm sure you don't even know me since I was 95% pure lurker on CAF, but all the same, glad you're here.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
ZealousZeal said:
It's been a while since I've even lurked CAF, but I've wished for some time that mardukm would come over here where conversation isn't so... hindered. I think a conversation between ialmisry and mardukm would be so full of red font and maps, it would be epic.

choy said:
ZealousZeal said:

For the moment ;)
Nice to see you around these parts. I'm sure you don't even know me since I was 95% pure lurker on CAF, but all the same, glad you're here.
Thanks!  At least your one person who recognizes me and didn't bring a pitchfork and a torch :D

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
choy said:
ZealousZeal said:

choy said:
ZealousZeal said:

For the moment ;)
Thanks!  At least your one person who recognizes me and didn't bring a pitchfork and a torch :D
Ha! I wouldn't be able to decide which one to bring. ;) Just realized I never said, I'm NinjaSnark on CAF. Although people tended to read that as NinjaShark, which is admittedly cooler.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Does CAF support The New Evangelization?

The New Evangelization calls each of us to deepen our faith, believe in the Gospel message and go forth to proclaim the Gospel. The focus of the New Evangelization calls all Catholics to be evangelized and then go forth to evangelize. In a special way, the New Evangelization is focused on 're-proposing' the Gospel to those who have experienced a crisis of faith.Pope Benedict XVI called for the re-proposing of the Gospel "to those regions awaiting the first evangelization and to those regions where the roots of Christianity are deep but who have experienced a serious crisis of faith due to secularization." The New Evangelization invites each Catholic to renew their relationship with Jesus Christ and his Church.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
ZealousZeal said:
Just realized I never said, I'm NinjaSnark on CAF. Although people tended to read that as NinjaShark, which is admittedly cooler.
I like ninjasnark better (what happens when a good show goes south? it jumps the snark  :p )... ninja sharks sound like something out of an Austin Powers movie  ;D