• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

The Orthodox Church and Sede Vacante

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Who represents the Church during an emergency when the Ecumenical Patriarch dies and a new one has not been elected yet by the synod of bishops? I have heard there is no sede vacante as with Rome, but there is no pre-designated successor either.
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Amatorus said:
Who represents the Church during an emergency when the Ecumenical Patriarch dies and a new one has not been elected yet by the synod of bishops? I have heard there is no sede vacante as with Rome, but there is no pre-designated successor either.
Just as in the situation with any other bishop, a locum tenens is appointed by the synod until a new bishop is given the see.
 

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Antonis said:
Amatorus said:
Who represents the Church during an emergency when the Ecumenical Patriarch dies and a new one has not been elected yet by the synod of bishops? I have heard there is no sede vacante as with Rome, but there is no pre-designated successor either.
Just as in the situation with any other bishop, a locum tenens is appointed by the synod until a new bishop is given the see.
Has it happened before with the EP? How is the temporary chosen? I mean, who usually is the sort who is chosen? Like in the Roman Catholic Church, I am not sure what is the case during sede vacante but I would guess the Secretary of State.
 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Feb 13, 2010
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Amatorus said:
Antonis said:
Amatorus said:
Who represents the Church during an emergency when the Ecumenical Patriarch dies and a new one has not been elected yet by the synod of bishops? I have heard there is no sede vacante as with Rome, but there is no pre-designated successor either.
Just as in the situation with any other bishop, a locum tenens is appointed by the synod until a new bishop is given the see.
Has it happened before with the EP? How is the temporary chosen? I mean, who usually is the sort who is chosen? Like in the Roman Catholic Church, I am not sure what is the case during sede vacante but I would guess the Secretary of State.
Of course it has happened, Constantinople hasn't had the same bishop throughout its existence. You don't have to refer to the EP as if he is a special case, he is a bishop like any other. There is no de facto procedure governing who is appointed locum tenens. The synod picks whomever it thinks will fill the position well. Oftentimes it is an older, respected member of the synod.
 

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Antonis said:
Amatorus said:
Antonis said:
Amatorus said:
Who represents the Church during an emergency when the Ecumenical Patriarch dies and a new one has not been elected yet by the synod of bishops? I have heard there is no sede vacante as with Rome, but there is no pre-designated successor either.
Just as in the situation with any other bishop, a locum tenens is appointed by the synod until a new bishop is given the see.
Has it happened before with the EP? How is the temporary chosen? I mean, who usually is the sort who is chosen? Like in the Roman Catholic Church, I am not sure what is the case during sede vacante but I would guess the Secretary of State.
Of course it has happened, Constantinople hasn't had the same bishop throughout its existence. You don't have to refer to the EP as if he is a special case, he is a bishop like any other. There is no de facto procedure governing who is appointed locum tenens. The synod picks whomever it thinks will fill the position well. Oftentimes it is an older, respected member of the synod.
Do you know any examples I can look up? OH wait I found one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_Lucaris

Attempts to bring Calvinism into the Orthodox Church were rejected, and Cyril's actions and motivations remain a matter of debate among the Orthodox.
Hm...I think that may be an understatement for some.
 

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 11, 2014
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
1
Points
0
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ecumenical_Patriarchs_of_Constantinople

In this list there are only four locum tenens listed, yet I would assume there would be one every single time the EP (or any bishop as Antonis noted) dies.
 

podkarpatska

Merarches
Joined
Oct 24, 2009
Messages
9,732
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Location
Northeast United States
Website
www.acrod.org
A locum tenens/literally meaning 'place holder' is always appointed by a synod/or primate to hold the place of a vacant see until a successor Bishop is found and installed. This is no big deal. It doesn't matter is the vacant see is a small and relatively inconsequential one in a particular Church or if it is the primatial see, like a Patriarchate. Really -  it is neither an interesting, nor controversial topic.
 
Top