• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The OrthodoxChristianity.net Fund Drive

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Charles,

On behalf of the Fund Drive, I thank you!

As a note I would like to say that all the donations go directly to the owner of the site, Anastasios.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Charles1967 said:
Surprised that the cost is not covered in one day of donations
For this website. Espesially because there is not much out there for English speaking Orthodox Followers.
The donation goal table is non-functional. At least the PayPal button works now.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
The donation goal table is non-functional. At least the PayPal button works now.
I have emailed about that multiple times asking for that to be fixed.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A new month is here...

donations to the site are appreciated.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score

A monthly reminder to anyone interested in

donating to this website.

Thank you!​

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a reminder

to anyone considering

a donation to this website.

Thank you!​

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A New Year is

Upon us

Donations to

the site are

appreciated.​

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not until there is an official apology for posting this editorial by Thomas Bezas:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/

The proviso:
OrthodoxChristianity.net occasionally publishes articles and guest editorials that will be of interest to its readers. This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented.

That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing.
I for one find it sickening and deceptive. I am not willing to support deception that cannot be debated. Since this gets into political  you will have to to research who he is on your own.

RobS

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
I for one find it sickening and deceptive. I am not willing to support deception that cannot be debated. Since this gets into political  you will have to to research who he is on your own.
Well said, I completely agree. I thought this was addressed by the mods awhile ago? Maybe not

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Opus118 said:
Not until there is an official apology for posting this editorial by Thomas Bezas:

The proviso:
OrthodoxChristianity.net occasionally publishes articles and guest editorials that will be of interest to its readers. This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented.

What part of "does not constitute an endorsement by the website's staff" leads you to believe that "the staff signed on to this"? 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

Your sentiment "That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing" indicates that you don't understand what "This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented" means. 

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

Your sentiment "That the staff signed on to this is more disturbing" indicates that you don't understand what "This does not constitute an endorsement in toto by the website's staff of all views presented" means.
Father, I think I read the statement correctly. Based on the phrase, I took it to mean that at least some of the staff did endorse the views. This is what I was disturbed about.

I do not want to get into a discussion, I just wanted to state that I will no longer donate until the statement is taken down with an apology.

Reaction score
Opus118 said:
Fr. George said:
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

Father, I think I read the statement correctly. Based on the phrase, I took it to mean that at least some of the staff did endorse the views. This is what I was disturbed about.

I do not want to get into a discussion, I just wanted to state that I will no longer donate until the statement is taken down with an apology.
What the big deal about what Thomas wrote? Most on here didn't endorse it, including the staff.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Opus118 said:
Fr. George said:
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

Father, I think I read the statement correctly.
The staff is telling you you didn't.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Opus118 said:
Fr. George said:
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

If none of the staff endorsed the editorial, I apologize.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Yes, the disclaimer makes it clear that articles appearing on the front page do not necessarily have the full agreement of the staff. However, I think this disclaimer is mitigated by the fact that very few articles appear there at all (this was the first one in two years), and that this particular article almost certainly has the agreement of Anastasios our Old Calendarist webmaster, as do previous entries.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Iconodule said:
Yes, the disclaimer makes it clear that articles appearing on the front page do not necessarily have the full agreement of the staff. However, I think this disclaimer is mitigated by the fact that very few articles appear there at all (this was the first one in two years), and that this particular article almost certainly has the agreement of Anastasios our Old Calendarist webmaster, as do previous entries.
TBH, I didn't know that article was on the front page until NicholasMyra (?) emoted about it. 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Yeah, for us regular forumers the articles that very rarely appear on the front page are pretty irrelevant. Most of us go straight to the forum and don't even look at that part of the site. However, a newcomer could come and, despite the disclaimer, not fail to notice that, out of six total articles in the past 7 years, the only electoral commentary is an article arguing that Orthodox Christians must vote for Trump or be complicit in "dismantling every position held by Orthodox Christian doctrine."

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Let me reply first to this:

Opus118 said:
Do as your conscience dictates!  I (and, I presume, the staff) are most grateful for support rendered in the past, and do not "take it personally" if someone chooses to not donate (for whatever reason).

Opus118 said:
Fr. George said:
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

I cannot speak to whether or not any of the staff agrees with the views; I don't, and that's OK - while I am at the top of the food chain for the OC.Net staff, I'm not the site owner/founder, and I'm cognizant that I'm tending to his vineyard, not my own.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Fr. George said:
Let me reply first to this:

Opus118 said:
Do as your conscience dictates!  I (and, I presume, the staff) are most grateful for support rendered in the past, and do not "take it personally" if someone chooses to not donate (for whatever reason).
+1

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Opus118 said:
Fr. George said:
Opus118 said:

The proviso:

If none of the staff endorsed the editorial, I apologize.
What constitutes 'staff' here anyway?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Iconodule said:
Yeah, slapping a disclaimer on it doesn't magically remove the implicit endorsement.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
Iconodule said:
Yeah, slapping a disclaimer on it doesn't magically remove the implicit endorsement.
It appears to have been removed.

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
It's gone from the front page, but still in the "articles" section.

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Hello Folks,

Sorry I'm just getting to this. These days I don't post at all or read most of the messages. But I still work behind the scenes to keep the server functioning, etc.

If you really want to know about that editorial: Thomas Bezas is a personal friend of mine, and a Republican operator. He was on the Connecticut delegation to the RNC convention in July.

He asked me to post that editorial the day before the election, so I did. Why? Two reasons.

1) Because I was generally concerned about the type of Supreme Court nominee Clinton would pick in regards to abortion, which I think is the #1 issue. I recognize that many people do not agree with me.
2) Because I believe that Clinton would get us into a war with Russia or escalate our war in Syria
3) Because I researched the Spirit-cooking activities of John Podesta, and think he is an Occultist. Having previously dabbled in the Occult as a teenager, I don't want anyone associated with that apostate Serbian "performance artist" aka Satanist Marina Abramovich anywhere near the seat of power.

Now, posting a political editorial like that was obviously going to ruffle some feathers. So I decided to put the disclaimer with the intention of saying basically, "this article is being posted for consideration. Not all of the staff agrees with it." I did not consult anyone before posting it, in fact.

I chose to put it on the front page of the site for two reasons:

1) so it would show up to people who are just googling around and find the front page of the site
2) so it would not be part of the forum, which 99% of people come to directly when they log onto the site, because I didn't want Fr. George to be put in an awkward situation.

At any rate, I moved it off the front page a few weeks ago I think as it's no longer relevant anyway.

I would really like the articles page to be a place where multiple points of view are expressed and we have lots of active content. Kind of like Ancient Faith's blogs. I've tried to get people to submit content for years, but no one ever takes the bite. I posted Thomas's article because he asked me to. If someone else asked me to post an article from a different perspective, I would!

At this point, I can either:

1) Remove the article
2) Post some kind of anti-Trump editorial to balance it out.

I'll take suggestions.

But please don't assume that anyone except me had anything to do with posting the editorial.

If you can't donate any longer, I understand. But do keep in mind that I keep this site running and when I don't get enough donations, I pay for the site out of my own pocket. I don't agree with 75% of the stuff posted on this site. So keep it in perspective :)

Thank you,
Anastasios

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Right now, we have $164.81 in the treasury. I have been paying the site since September at a rate of $50/month as we did not have enough to renew for a year. So, $250 out of pocket since September. In order to renew for a year and reimburse me for the remainder, that would be $480 + $85 = $565 total needed.

Thank you,
Anastasios

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I'll have $20 dollars soon.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
I'll see what I can do about a donation.

Anastasios said:
I would really like the articles page to be a place where multiple points of view are expressed and we have lots of active content. Kind of like Ancient Faith's blogs. I've tried to get people to submit content for years, but no one ever takes the bite. I posted Thomas's article because he asked me to. If someone else asked me to post an article from a different perspective, I would!
Yeah, this would be good. If I had more knowledge I might help.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just a reminder to those that wish to donate or have been thinking about it

and a thank you to those that have.​

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
FYI: It seems that the in-forum Donation tracker is not accurately keeping records of who donated.  I'll notify Anastasios and see what we can do.

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
FYI: It seems that the in-forum Donation tracker is not accurately keeping records of who donated.  I'll notify Anastasios and see what we can do.
I am sure he knows. That hasn't been working since August 2014. At least the link for donating money now works.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Opus118 said:
Fr. George said:
I am sure he knows. That hasn't been working since August 2014. At least the link for donating money now works.
Indeed it does - Anastasios has received at least 1/3 of the funds he requested above.  And we appreciate any further donations to help support the operation & mission of this site.

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A monthly reminder to those

that would like to donate to

OrthodoxChristianity.net.​

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A reminder for

Donations to

those interested.

Thank you!​

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Monthly reminder if you wish to donate.

Thank you!​

IXOYE

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All members new and old are welcome to support this website.

Thank you!