• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

The parishes of OCNetters and the Divine Liturgy

How often does your parish, reasonably active OCNet contributor, offer the Divine Liturgy at your Or

• <15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45-75

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • 75-105

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • 105-135

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • >135

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
This poll is asking about Divine Liturgy, not Vespers, Vigils, Akathists, Molebens, etc.

This question is inspired by Mor's poll here: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,68996.new.html#new

There was an option in his poll to say that you went to Divine Liturgy every time it was offered. This could mean very different things in different parishes. There is parish I visit occasionally whose priest reposed about 6 months ago, they have a priest visit every 3-4 weeks or so, my parish has lot of services that seem to be based on the primarily on the calendar commemoration, there is another OCA parish I visit occasionally that in addition to Sunday has Liturgy every Thursday early in the morning but doesn't do as many weekday services specific to the commemoration of the day. There is also a monastery within an hour of me that has Liturgy every Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday, and major feast day. A lot of the parish calendar's I see seem to have only Sundays and maybe a few great feast, but usually not even all of the 12 Great Feasts.

I would also be interested in hearing the rationale of how services besides Sundays are put on the schedule.

I think having a lot services is a good thing, people can't come if the doors aren't open, but please don't anyone assume that I am saying more services= better parish.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Based on my main parish, I picked 45-75 because Liturgies are usually celebrated only on Sundays and major feasts, but I will frequent another parish in the area because it usually regularly celebrates the Liturgy two other times a week in addition to Sunday. 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
I picked 45-75, because it's offered every Sunday and also on major feasts.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Sundays, major feasts, Lenten Wednesdays... 45-75 is a reasonable estimation, possibly slightly more. I think the vast majority of parishes with a "fixed" priest will go around this number?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
I just counted in the parish Google cal .....in 2016 my parish will have offered 101 DL's

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Does this include Liturgies of the Pre-Sanctified?

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
scamandrius said:

My count did....

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
scamandrius said:
Sure, lets include them too.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
My OCA parish has liturgies on Sundays and Thursdays, all feasts, and Saturdays of Lent. 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
I voted for ">135", as it's about 137 according to my counts.
There is Liturgy every Wednesday and Sunday, all 12 great feasts, some other important feasts (Peter and Paul, Proctection of the Theotokos, st. Basil, st. Nicholas etc.), in Great Lent we have also Liturgies on Fridays and Saturdays. We have Liturgies also for some second days of the feasts (Nativity, Pentecost) and of their vigils (Nativity, Epiphany). We have Liturgy everyday of the Holy Week except Good Friday of course. Tehre are Liturgies on Saturdays for departed.

As my parish is cemetary one, there are many Liturgies connected with the burial, or just Liturgies for departed ordered by people (e.g on the 40th day after death), but as their only for a small group I haven't counted them.