• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Pope to resign?!?! / Pope Benedict XVI resigns / Pope set to resign on Feb. 28th

88Devin12

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Will he be received via Vesting as a Patriarch?
Chrismation most likely and then on the fast track to becoming OCA's next metropolitan. By fall or so.
You... I like you...

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cantor Krishnich said:
Cyrillic said:
Benedict XVI was a great and erudite Pope. I think it's sad he resigns. I hope that an Eastern Catholic cardinal is elected Pope.
I think that is impossible because the Latin Catholic Pope is required to be of the Roman-rite.
There was a thread about the Pope being "omni-ritual" (although I don't know if I could find it now).

Cantor Krishnich said:
The Eastern Catholics have their own patriarchs who are appointed by the Latin Pope and are subject to the Latin Pope.
This is false (as others already pointed out). EC patriarchs aren't appointed by the pope. -edited

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Ioannis Climacus said:
Schultz said:
By the list recently posted, it appears that Benedict XVI probably has much in common with Celestine V.
Scott Hahn posted this on Facebook earlier. Resignation seems to have been on his mind for sometime :

"Back on April 29, 2009, Pope Benedict XVI did something rather striking, but which went largely unnoticed.

He stopped off in Aquila, Italy, and visited the tomb of an obscure medieval Pope named St. Celestine V (1215-1296). After a brief prayer, he left his pallium, the symbol of his own episcopal authority as Bishop of Rome, on top of Celestine's tomb!

Fifteen months later, on July 4, 2010, Benedict went out of his way again, this time to visit and pray in the cathedral of Sulmona, near Rome, before the relics of this same saint, Celestine V.
"
Interesting. They were talking a bit about Celestine on EWTN this morning, but they didn't mention those actions of Benedict's.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Peter J said:
This is false (as others already pointed out).
We should stop pretending that it is not true.  It is.  Why would the Patriarchs come to Rome when the Pope summons them to *his* synod?  It is a pipe dream to think that the EC Patriarchs are not subject to the Pope.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Romaios said:
Cyrillic said:
Αριστοκλής said:
Cyrillic said:
Benedict XVI was a great and erudite Pope. I think it's sad he resigns. I hope that an Eastern Catholic cardinal is elected Pope.
Trying..........to........hold......my......breath...(gasp)...
Huh?
To put it mildly, an Eastern Catholic Pope would probably have a negative impact on Orthodox-Catholic relations.

Most Orthodox would much prefer a "Latin" Pope over an Eastern Catholic one.
I think the Orthodox are happy as long as they have something to complain about -- which they would, either way.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Romaios said:
Cyrillic said:
Αριστοκλής said:
Cyrillic said:
Trying..........to........hold......my......breath...(gasp)...
Huh?
To put it mildly, an Eastern Catholic Pope would probably have a negative impact on Orthodox-Catholic relations.

It seems too early for the fifth column to move.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Romaios said:
To put it mildly, an Easter Catholic Pope would probably have a negative impact on Orthodox-Catholic relations.

So? A Byzantine Pope would be awesome. An Oriental one is fine too.
Assuming hell froze over to make it happen, he would most likely cease being Byzantine/Oriental upon election.

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Peter J said:
I think the Orthodox are happy as long as they have something to complain about -- which they would, either way.
You, Sir, have a poor opinion of the Orthodox.

Needless to say, the ones you meet online are hardly representative for the bulk of Orthodoxy.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Peter J said:
That's just downright rude, and wrong.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Hopefully no scandal is involved (which seems to be the case) or severe illness.  Many years to him!

Btw, just for those who know Chicago and interested in trivia: Division street, if it could go straight through to Rome, would go right through the Cistine Chapel. Holy Trinity Cathedral (0CA) at Rome's longitude would be under the southern half of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica and over the catacombs where St. Peter lies.  Haddon street (the street running along north of the Cathedral) going straight would run under the Baldachin of St. Peter, under the balcony where they say "habenus papam," nick the Obelisk in the center of the Piazza S. Pietro, and go down Via della Conciliazione.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
Schultz said:
By the list recently posted, it appears that Benedict XVI probably has much in common with Celestine V.
That is what I thought when I first heard the news.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That's what they said on FOX4 News this morning.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
choy said:
Peter J said:
This is false (as others already pointed out).
We should stop pretending that it is not true.  It is.  Why would the Patriarchs come to Rome when the Pope summons them to *his* synod?  It is a pipe dream to think that the EC Patriarchs are not subject to the Pope.
Subjecting oneself to authority and being appointed by an authority are two different things.

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Hopefully no scandal is involved (which seems to be the case) or severe illness.  Many years to him!

Btw, just for those who know Chicago and interested in trivia: Division street, if it could go straight through to Rome, would go right through the Cistine Chapel. Holy Trinity Cathedral (0CA) at Rome's longitude would be under the southern half of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica and over the catacombs where St. Peter lies.  Haddon street (the street running along north of the Cathedral) going straight would run under the Baldachin of St. Peter, under the balcony where they say "habenus papam," nick the Obelisk in the center of the Piazza S. Pietro, and go down Via della Conciliazione.
When I heard the news that the Pope was resigning I wondered how Isa would be able to make it into a Map.. :)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
But wait 'cause he told me that as his last act as a pope he intends to proclaim the dogma of papal failibility for he said, it is clear, that charisma has. Long passed  down to the third Rome.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
But wait 'cause he told me that as his last act as a pope he intends to proclaim the dogma of papal failibility for he said, it is clear, that charisma has. Long passed  down to the third Rome.
Was that to answer how many divisions the pope has?

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Join the movement https://www.facebook.com/StephenColbertForPope  ;D

That person

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I'm a Peter Turkson man I think. Timothy Dolan is charismatic and American and all, but he kind of terrifies me.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Dolan for pope. I'd love someone who won't pull any punches.

mabsoota

Archon
Reaction score
so, i signed in to see if there was any reaction to today's shocking news, but i didn't expect 3 pages!
i see you are all as shocked as i was. i had to stop working for 10 minutes.

may God have mercy.
now is the time to pray very much for healing and restoration (in the orthodox direction, in my opinion) in the roman catholic church and the other catholic churches affiliated with it.
i have met many fine catholic priests and other people and i know many have a true and living faith.
may God guide them and banish the liberalism that is so deeply rooted in some parts of the church.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:

Step away from the atlas . . .

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
That person said:
I'm a Peter Turkson man I think. Timothy Dolan is charismatic and American and all, but he kind of terrifies me.
I was rooting for Cardinal Arinze last time, as he terrified all the right people. He is not eligible to vote (and hence less likely to be elected) since three months ago, unfortunately.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
ialmisry said:

Step away from the atlas . . .
IL has been practicing geography control from way back..

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Professor who's your man this time around?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I wonder if the new Pope will affect Orthodox-Catholic relations. I'm hoping for a Pope that will use his international fame and western influence to ease the persecution that Orthodox Christians are facing in the Middle East under Islam.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Peter J said:
That's just downright rude, and wrong.
Like the Bible says, you reap what you sow (I don't believe this at all, but people think it makes a figurative point even if it doesn't make a literal one). The you here is the one we use to avoid using one and sounding English.

In short, oc.net, ain't so kind to RCs.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
To be fair, the Catholic Answers forum isn't too kind to the Orthodox either; you get banned or have your posts deleted the moment you make a point.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
To be fair, the Catholic Answers forum isn't too kind to the Orthodox either; you get banned or have your posts deleted the moment you make a point.
So, two wrongs make a right? One group can punish strangers for what another has done? Even though they are discrete properties, owned and operated by different people?

I really hope we don't do it that way. If you only love those who love you, what is that to you? Even sinners do the same.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
That person said:
I was rooting for Cardinal Arinze last time, as he terrified all the right people. He is not eligible to vote (and hence less likely to be elected) since three months ago, unfortunately.
Why is this? Is it his age? Of all the names I've heard, I would go for Cardinal Arinze all the way. Always loved him. Seems like a real straight-shooter at a point in time when Rome could really use one.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
Like the Bible says, you reap what you sow (I don't believe this at all, but people think it makes a figurative point even if it doesn't make a literal one). The you here is the one we use to avoid using one and sounding English.

I thought they just had a funny way of showing it.  :D

JamesR said:
orthonorm said:
To be fair, the Catholic Answers forum isn't too kind to the Orthodox either;
True.  :(

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
That person said:
But he's not a Roman! He's an African!

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
ialmisry said:
That person said:
Why is this? Is it his age? Of all the names I've heard, I would go for Cardinal Arinze all the way. Always loved him. Seems like a real straight-shooter at a point in time when Rome could really use one.
Yes, the age limit.  Technically, he can still be elected, but since he cannot elect one, the chances of him being elected is slim.