• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

The Pope's Visit to Constantinople and Turkey

jmbejdl

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
1,480
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
47
Location
Aylesbury
lubeltri said:
Thanks.

From what I understand (someone else correct me if I'm wrong), Constantinople does not recognize the autocephaly of the OCA, though Moscow does.
You are correct to the best of my knowledge.

James
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
At last, Communion. I've always been fascinated by the Orthodox way of distributing the Eucharist, passing the spoon holding both species into the mouth of the communicant.

The pope is standing as the Communion line passes by him. As they pass, many people are bowing to Benedict. I saw one woman make the Sign of the Cross to him. One adorable little boy left the Communion line and went up to Benedict to bow and shake his hand! You should have seen the look on Benedict's face.

I love the reverence of the communicants as they put their chins on the cloth and open their mouths like babes to receive their medicine on the spoon.
 

nikolaos

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Points
0
lubeltri said:
At last, Communion. I've always been fascinated by the Orthodox way of distributing the Eucharist, passing the spoon holding both species into the mouth of the communicant.
The visit is a nice move in the course of dialogue between the two churches but i will disagree with you that there is communion between the two churches.There is no such thing
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
The liturgy was concluded with messages by Bartholomew and then Benedict, both eloquent, learned, and gracious (Benedict, by the way, personally extended the previously offered invitation to discuss with the East a re-envisioning of the Petrine office to reflect the reality of the first millennium). Following that was the exchanging of gifts (Benedict received the Gospels, Bartholomew a chalice).

Then both offered the Sign of the Cross to all around before leaving in procession.

They proceeded up to a balcony, where Benedict blessed the crowd in Latin and Bartholomew in Greek, upon which the crowd erupted into applause. Then there were cheers as Bartholomew and Benedict clasped hands and shook them above their heads before heading inside.

-

I thought it was touching at the times during the Divine Liturgy when Bartholomew gestured or whispered to Benedict to guide him along.

-

I'm sure Turkey is none too happy with this. The government received the Pope with the highest dignity and honor, yet they treat Bartholomew like a petty, pesky local bishop or worse. The Pope, in turn, is publicly treating Bartholomew as the ancient and venerable Patriarch of New Rome.

-

It was a beautiful Divine Liturgy. Yes, we remain separated, but it is a wonderful thing to see the warmth, charity, mutual recognition of good faith, and brotherly affection shared by the leaders of our two Churches. It gives one hope and spurs one to pray ever fervently that God will bring us together in full Communion someday. It will take the grace and mercy of our Lord to do it, but with God all is possible.
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
nikolaos said:
The visit is a nice move in the course of dialogue between the two churches but i will disagree with you that there is communion between the two churches.There is no such thing
I never said there was full communion. Full communion does not exist until we can concelebrate the Eucharist together. That is probably a long way off, but reachable with the grace of God.
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
ozgeorge said:
No problem!  :)

If only unity between the Churches could be achieved that easily! :D
;D

If only! I pray it happen.

------

They just read the joint declaration in Greek and then in English before Bartholomew and Benedict signed it.

Benedict looks exhausted! He's got a busy day ahead of him. Perhaps he should take some Turkish coffee while having lunch with Bartholomew.
 

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
22,181
Reaction score
486
Points
83
Age
41
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Pope set to visit Turkish mosque

Pope Benedict XVI is due to visit one of Turkey's most famous mosques in what is being seen as an attempt to mend relations with the Muslim community.

His tour of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul will be only the second papal visit in history to a Muslim place of worship.

The Pope's trip has been overshadowed by his recent comments about Islam.

His plans to visit the Hagia Sophia Museum, a site heavy with Christian and Muslim symbolism, brought protesters onto the streets.

Dozens of people linked to an Islamist-nationalist party demonstrated against the Pope's plans to visit the domed complex that was once a Christian centre before becoming a mosque and eventually, a museum.

They claimed the Pope's visit was an affront to the secularism enshrined in Turkey's constitution, as well as an attempt to stake a Catholic claim to the Hagia Sophia site.

They have said any hint of a prayer there would be deeply offensive.

Prayer watch

The third day of the Pope's trip to Turkey began with a mass celebrated by the spiritual leader of the world's Orthodox Christians, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I.

A prime reason for Pope Benedict's visit to Turkey has been to heal the centuries-old rift between the two Churches.

"The divisions which exist among Christians are a scandal to the world," the Pope said after the meeting.

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Istanbul says this day's activities are heavy with symbolism.

The tour of the Blue Mosque - across the square from Hagia Sophia - was a last-minute addition to the schedule and is seen as a major gesture of goodwill to Muslims.

It is part of efforts by Pope Benedict to mend the damage his comments on Islam in September caused across the Muslim world.

Speaking to an academic audience in Germany, the Pope quoted a Byzantine emperor who characterised Islam as a violent religion.

While the Pope insisted the remarks did not reflect his own views, the speech was widely reported and caused anger across the Islamic world.

===========================================================================================================================

I don't know how really remarkable this actually is, considering the many hundreds of tourists that the Blue Mosque sees every day.  I personally wasn't that impressed by it - it is a poor copy of Agia Sophia.
 

welkodox

Archon
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
2,076
Reaction score
0
Points
0
authiodionitist said:
Well, good to have ya on OC.net.

I have a question for the canon lawyers and Greek theologians among us...
Why wasn't the OCA mentioned in the remembrances for the autocephalous jurisdictions in the translation offered by Fr. Dr. Chryssavagis (sp?) on EWTN or on the http://www.patriarchate.org/ website?  Does the EP not recognize our autocepahly or are we considered under the MP?

Ugh, please don't make this a complicated affair - I'd like it to be a clean and simple response.  But knowing OC.net, that's probably not going to happen...
I believe the OCA is considered an autonomous subsidiary of Moscow by the majority of churches including of course Constantinople.  Certainly a valid and legitimate church, but not autocephalous.

I believe five churches consider it autocephalous.
 

pensateomnia

Archon
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Messages
2,360
Reaction score
4
Points
0
welkodox said:
I believe the OCA is considered an autonomous subsidiary of Moscow by the majority of churches including of course Constantinople.  Certainly a valid and legitimate church, but not autocephalous.
"Autonomous subsidiary"? I think I know what you are trying to say, but, as you probably know, such a category does not actually exist in the canonical tradition.

More importantly, such is not the official stance of the ancient Sees regarding the autocephaly of the OCA. The Patriarchs of Constantinople, Alexandria and Jerusalem (along with their Synods) condemned the unilateral autocephaly of the OCA when Moscow issued it as uncanonical and unacceptable. Since that time, we've enjoyed a sort of unofficial detente, but most Orthodox Churches still do not recognize the OCA's autocephaly in any official way, and, thus, most Patriarchs do not commemorate Metropolitan Herman.
 

BoredMeeting

High Elder
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
722
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The People's Republic of Maryland
cleveland said:
I don't know how really remarkable this actually is, considering the many hundreds of tourists that the Blue Mosque sees every day.  I personally wasn't that impressed by it - it is a poor copy of Agia Sophia.
I've yet to see the Muslims create anything that can match what they have conquered and stolen from the Christians before them.
 

welkodox

Archon
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
2,076
Reaction score
0
Points
0
pensateomnia said:
"Autonomous subsidiary"? I think I know what you are trying to say, but, as you probably know, such a category does not actually exist in the canonical tradition.

More importantly, such is not the official stance of the ancient Sees regarding the autocephaly of the OCA. The Patriarchs of Constantinople, Alexandria and Jerusalem (along with their Synods) condemned the unilateral autocephaly of the OCA when Moscow issued it as uncanonical and unacceptable. Since that time, we've enjoyed a sort of unofficial detente, but most Orthodox Churches still do not recognize the OCA's autocephaly in any official way, and, thus, most Patriarchs do not commemorate Metropolitan Herman.
Thanks for the clarification.
 
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
Points
0
In nomine Iesu I offer you all peace,

Unfortunately I have been unable to see any of this coverage. Could someone please tell me if our Holy Father has been to Hagia Sophia yet and what happened?

What is it that he said that has captured the ire of the Muslims?

Thank you all for the news and updates and God Bless you all!

Pax
 

CRCulver

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Helsinki, Finland or Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Website
www.christopherculver.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Romanian Orthodox Church
lubeltri said:
No, Catholic. But in college I was a member of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship, and my mentor in the history department was Prof. Florin Curta, who is Romanian Orthodox.
Would this by any chance be the same Florin Curta as the philologist and disciple of Rosetti who wrote a rather appalling book  on the history of Romanian where only Dacian Continuity Theory was taught and none of the significant competing models were mentioned at all? If so, I didn't know he lived in the U.S., as while this historical grammar was published by a minor American university press, I thought his work was mainly at the Academia Romana in Bucharest.
 
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
Points
0
pensateomnia said:
"Autonomous subsidiary"? I think I know what you are trying to say, but, as you probably know, such a category does not actually exist in the canonical tradition.

More importantly, such is not the official stance of the ancient Sees regarding the autocephaly of the OCA. The Patriarchs of Constantinople, Alexandria and Jerusalem (along with their Synods) condemned the unilateral autocephaly of the OCA when Moscow issued it as uncanonical and unacceptable. Since that time, we've enjoyed a sort of unofficial detente, but most Orthodox Churches still do not recognize the OCA's autocephaly in any official way, and, thus, most Patriarchs do not commemorate Metropolitan Herman.
In nomine Iesu I offer you peace,

Is there any hope in the status of the OCA changing? I personally have great affection for several Fathers in OCA Parishes I attend Vespers at.

Pax
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
francis-christopher said:
In nomine Iesu I offer you peace,

Is there any hope in the status of the OCA changing? I personally have great affection for several Fathers in OCA Parishes I attend Vespers at.

Pax
Change as in the OCA getting themselves fully excommunicated, that's feasible, basically their status as 'canonical' is at the mercy of the Moscow Patriarchate. As a metropolis of Moscow in the eyes of they Church, they are subject to the will of said Patriarch.

If you mean change as in becomming recognized by the Ancient Patriarchates, let's just say that the odds of a restoration of communion between Old and New Rome is probably more likely.
 
Joined
Apr 12, 2006
Messages
366
Reaction score
0
Points
0
greekischristian said:
Change as in the OCA getting themselves fully excommunicated, that's feasible, basically their status as 'canonical' is at the mercy of the Moscow Patriarchate. As a metropolis of Moscow in the eyes of they Church, they are subject to the will of said Patriarch.

If you mean change as in becomming recognized by the Ancient Patriarchates, let's just say that the odds of a restoration of communion between Old and New Rome is probably more likely.
In nomine Iesu I offer you peace GreekisChristian,

So would you say it would be 'much safer' to be Greek Orthodox than say OCA in America?

Pax
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
CRCulver said:
Would this by any chance be the same Florin Curta as the philologist and disciple of Rosetti who wrote a rather appalling book  on the history of Romanian where only Dacian Continuity Theory was taught and none of the significant competing models were mentioned at all? If so, I didn't know he lived in the U.S., as while this historical grammar was published by a minor American university press, I thought his work was mainly at the Academia Romana in Bucharest.
No, it's Florin Curta the historian and archaeologist. He teaches at the University of Florida. He wrote a well-received book called The Making of the Slavs: History and Archaeology of the Lower Danube Region, c. 500-700 A.D.
 

Brian

Member
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
128
Reaction score
0
Points
0
francis-christopher said:
In nomine Iesu I offer you peace GreekisChristian,

So would you say it would be 'much safer' to be Greek Orthodox than say OCA in America?

Pax
I think his answer is contained in his name. ;)
 

CRCulver

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Helsinki, Finland or Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Website
www.christopherculver.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Romanian Orthodox Church
lubeltri said:
No, it's Florin Curta the historian and archaeologist. He teaches at the University of Florida. He wrote a well-received book called The Making of the Slavs: History and Archaeology of the Lower Danube Region, c. 500-700 A.D.
Aha, so either way it is a dubious figure, I just got my continuity theories mixed up. I know that book as well, a crackpot work of Paleolithic Continuity Theory that ignores the wide consensus that the Slavonic Urheimat was in northern Ukraine and southern Belarus, slanders historical linguists, and deliberately ignores or misinterprets a lot of ancient evidence. Where, you say, was the book received well? This sort of Alinei- and Renfrew-inspired nonsense is dismissed by pretty much all reputable IEists, and PCT writers rarely subject their work to sufficient peer review.
 

pensateomnia

Archon
Joined
Mar 25, 2005
Messages
2,360
Reaction score
4
Points
0
francis-christopher said:
In nomine Iesu I offer you peace GreekisChristian,

So would you say it would be 'much safer' to be Greek Orthodox than say OCA in America?
Pay no attention to GiC here, francis! He's being his usual inflammatory self!

While the OCA is not officially recognized as autocephalous by most Orthodox Churches, in reality it is still in communion with them as part of SCOBA; and thereby enjoys tacit acceptance in many ways.

"Safety" really doesn't enter into the equation. If the OCA were ever to change its claims (since, for example, its autocephaly has not catalyzed any "meaningful storm," as was hoped), it would only enjoy even more widespread acceptance.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
francis-christopher said:
In nomine Iesu I offer you peace GreekisChristian,

So would you say it would be 'much safer' to be Greek Orthodox than say OCA in America?

Pax
As much as I would like to use this opportunity to strike a blow against the Metropolia (OCA) in favour of the Greeks, I shall refrain ;D

No, I wouldn't say it is safer to be a member of one church or the other, from a canonical perspective the Metropolia is in a 'less safe' position, but this really ought not be a concern when looking for a Church since through the maintaining of several fictitious relationships as valid the Canonicity of the Metropolia has been preserved. However, if there ever was a break in the relationship between the Metropolia and the Patriarchate of Moscow and communion was broken, the Metropolia would be in Schism and it would be the responsibility of the faithful of said jurisdiction to go elsewhere.

BoredMeeting said:
Just what Orthodoxy needs, a good Schism to accomplish what the Communists could not.
I don't really think that the Church in America is significant enough for a localized schism to have any real impact on the Church, we're still too small.

pensateomnia said:
Pay no attention to GiC here, francis! He's being his usual inflammatory self!
Hey, I don't think I've said anything that isn't true. Unless you know something that I don't and the Patriarch has done a 180 on the issue of the Diaspora. ;)

pensateomnia said:
While the OCA is not officially recognized as autocephalous by most Orthodox Churches, in reality it is still in communion with them as part of SCOBA; and thereby enjoys tacit acceptance in many ways.
And what exactly does SCOBA have to do with Canonicity, or any other ecclesiastical decision for that matter, other than the 'C' in the name?
 

CRCulver

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 12, 2005
Messages
1,167
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Helsinki, Finland or Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Website
www.christopherculver.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Romanian Orthodox Church
greekischristian said:
I don't really think that the Church in America is significant enough for a localized schism to have any real impact on the Church, we're still too small.
Hundreds of thousands of Romanians come to the U.S. to work for a while and make a killing before heading back. While not all are church-goers, surely those who couldn't find a place to worship in the U.S. (since most Romanian churches are under the OCA) would protest, sending ripples though the Church in the old country?
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
CRCulver said:
Hundreds of thousands of Romanians come to the U.S. to work for a while and make a killing before heading back. While not all are church-goers, surely those who couldn't find a place to worship in the U.S. (since most Romanian churches are under the OCA) would protest, sending ripples though the Church in the old country?
I dont think that many people are that religious, even amongst the Romanians, as to make too big of a deal out of it. More likely they'll role their eyes and think it's to be expected with Americans.
 

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
10,588
Reaction score
49
Points
48
Location
Reston, VA
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Old Calendarist
[quote author=greekischristian]And what exactly does SCOBA have to do with Canonicity, or any other ecclesiastical decision for that matter, other than the 'C' in the name?[/quote]

I couldn't agree more! ;)
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Anastasios said:
I couldn't agree more! ;)
This is a day for the record books, Anastasios and I actually agree...even if it for completely different reasons ;)
 

BoredMeeting

High Elder
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
722
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
The People's Republic of Maryland
greekischristian said:
I don't really think that the Church in America is significant enough for a localized schism to have any real impact on the Church, we're still too small.
I can't imagine that such a schism between America and Moscow would not affect some of the Patriarchates. It would be quite a temptation for some to pluck the Church in America like so much ripe fruit.

Particularly for those which already have a substantial presence in America.
 

scamandrius

Merarches
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
9,407
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Location
Omaha
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Did anyone notice that a member of the Papal legation to Constantinople was an Eastern Catholic?  His dress gave him away.  I later learned that this particular person (can't remember his name) is prefect of the Congregation of Eastern Congregations. 

I was under the impression that Vartholomaios I was very opposed to the setting up of Eastern Catholic congregations in Orthodox countries.  Would the inclusion of this person in the papal legation signal that Rome has every intention of setting up Eastern Catholic congregations in Orthodox countries to lure the faithful away?

maybe I'm being too conspiratorial.

Scamandrius
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
The Eastern Catholics are an important part of the Church. If you recall, they participated in John Paul II's Requiem Mass (one of the most beautiful parts of that mass, IMO). I don't think a papal legation would be complete without a representative of the Eastern rites. They aren't any less Catholic than Westerners.

So, in sum, I don't think there is any conspiracy there.
 

SmoT

Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
Points
0
So, this catholic does nothing that could be construed as a religious act while in Agios Sophia, but walks across the street to the Blue Mosque and prays with the Muslim scum.

I know you don't like Catholicism or the Pope; you know you don't like them either.  Leave the colorful condemnations out please. - Cleveland, GM.
 

lubeltri

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
3,794
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Archdiocese of Boston
bripat22 said:
"the muslim scum"  how is that diffferent from the extremists on the muslim side?? It is the same hate.
Well, he does seem to agree with the Islamist militants that Pope Benedict is the antichrist.
 

greekischristian

Merarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
9,487
Reaction score
0
Points
36
bripat22 said:
"the muslim scum"  how is that diffferent from the extremists on the muslim side?? It is the same hate.
'I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!'
 

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,379
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Age
56
Location
Australia
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
greekischristian said:
'I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!'
Meh....
The "liberty" most people want is the kind that lets them become slaves to their passions.
And I guess we no longer have any need for God since we are going to seek justice ourselves.
Sounds like Christianity with neither the Cross nor Christ..... ;)
 
Top