The religious implications of Collaboartion with the State

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how much we are influenced by our view of the role of the Holy Spirit in all this. What if the Holy Spirit exercises another option other than guiding us? What if the Holy Spirit at times tolerates what we do in His name?

Georgii

Elder
Reaction score
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
What if the Holy Spirit at times tolerates what we do in His name?
That would account for a lot of what I have observed and experienced recently.

Edit: And not just recently.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
I'm pretty sure he's a Greek in the Netherlands
Interesting. I'm not a Greek, though. The furthest away my ancestors have been living since the dawn of time is in a village 6 miles away. My ancestry isn't very exotic or cosmopolitan.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Porter ODoran said:
I'm pretty sure he's a Greek in the Netherlands
Interesting. I'm not a Greek, though. The furthest away my ancestors have been living since the dawn of time is in a village 6 miles away. My ancestry isn't very exotic or cosmopolitan.
Shhh!  I was about to surmise that you descended from the Qin Dynasty and are 12th in line to the Emperorship of China!

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Again, a modern Western is going to have a very specific view on this, but that's (in my opinion) because we have a history of very bad leaders. It's natural to want to keep rulers away from our beliefs. But it's also a natural progression to wanting no rulers at all and no rules. In other words, I see the modern democratic "cure" as a natural continuation of the disease that resulted from past trauma -- the real cure would be returning to the trauma and applying very good leaders.
I can think of many passages in the Holy Bible that would caution us against Plato's philosopher kings or kings who are divinely appointed.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) said:
Porter ODoran said:
Again, a modern Western is going to have a very specific view on this, but that's (in my opinion) because we have a history of very bad leaders. It's natural to want to keep rulers away from our beliefs. But it's also a natural progression to wanting no rulers at all and no rules. In other words, I see the modern democratic "cure" as a natural continuation of the disease that resulted from past trauma -- the real cure would be returning to the trauma and applying very good leaders.
I can think of many passages in the Holy Bible that would caution us against Plato's philosopher kings or kings who are divinely appointed.
I also don't think kings are a suitable form of leadership, altho I'm sure you can also think of many biblical passages that promote them.