• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Resurgence of the Romanian Orthodox Church – Personal Reflections

theorthodoxchurch

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
www.theorthodoxchurch.info
Romania is one of the most attractive countries located eastern part of Europe. It is an undiscovered gem in the eyes of travellers and explorers. The beauty of Romania exerts an enormous influence on the Romanian Orthodox Church. The fusion of the beauty of Romanian land and the spiritual beauty of Orthodoxy has resulted in a vibrant culture and diverse heritage in the region.
The Resurgence of the Romanian Orthodox Church – Personal Reflections
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/ocrc/the-resurgence-of-the-romanian-orthodox-church-personal-reflections/

Reaction score
Nice to hear some good news. May there be many years of evangelization & blessedness.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad that the relationship between the natural beauty and the faith is highlighted.  I don't believe that this is unique to Romania - it may be more unique to Orthodoxy in general considering it's prominence in our anthropology, monastic disposition, etc.

Also good to raise awareness of the Church's extensive charitable program.  This should be normative, not exceptional (and I suspect that it is more normative in the "old world" than many realize).

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Definitely the Romanian Orthodox Church among other local Churches has one of the best developed and modern media - TV, radios, websites in a few languages, applciaitons, various pages in social media.  They use benefits of being in European Union but at the same time they are traditional and churchy e.g you can see quite a lot of people in folk vestments, sitting-kneeling including men.

I've been there twice and for sure want to visit this country at least a few more times ;)

theorthodoxchurch

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
thanks all for the response

article published on the official portal of the Romanian Church in English and in Romanian

English
https://basilica.ro/en/center-for-orthodox-studies-publishes-article-on-the-resurgence-of-the-romanian-orthodox-church/

Romanian
https://basilica.ro/centrul-de-studii-ortodoxe-reflectii-despre-revitalizarea-bisericii-ortodoxe-romane-in-ultimii-ani/

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
I'm glad that the relationship between the natural beauty and the faith is highlighted.  I don't believe that this is unique to Romania - it may be more unique to Orthodoxy in general considering it's prominence in our anthropology, monastic disposition, etc.

Also good to raise awareness of the Church's extensive charitable program.  This should be normative, not exceptional (and I suspect that it is more normative in the "old world" than many realize).
I agree entirely on both counts.  Due to our minority status in the diaspora, there aren’t yet quite enough converts to rival, say, the Roman Catholic or Episcopalian charitable programs, which are truly massive; on the other hand, the Salvation Army is probably quite a bit smaller than the Orthodox, and although deeply heterodox, does punch above its weight considerably when it comes to charitable work, to the extent that most people are unaware that it is actually a church and not just a charitable entity like the Red Cross.

Regarding natural beauty, I love the focus of the Orthodox Church on this.  I am aware of several particularly lovely areas of the US where there are either no Orthodox parishes, or fewer than would be preferred.  It would be nice to see that turned around.

theorthodoxchurch

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
Happy to inform that the article was also published in the below mentioned portals 

IKONIA PRESS
https://www.ikonapress.info/centrul-de-studii-ortodoxe-reflectii-despre-revitalizarea-bisericii-ortodoxe-romane-in-ultimii-ani/

ZIAR
https://www.ziar.com/news=13031275

Radio Renasterea
https://radiorenasterea.ro/centrul-de-studii-ortodoxe-reflectii-despre-revitalizarea-bisericii-ortodoxe-romane-in-ultimii-ani/

Calendar Orthodox
https://calendarortodox2020.ro/stiri-ortodoxe/centrul-de-studii-ortodoxe-reflectii-despre-revitalizarea-bisericii-ortodoxe-romane-in-ultimii-ani/

http://romania.shafaqna.com/RO/AL/134293

Reaction score
In Jan I had soft-planned a trip to E Europe to celebrate some date in the early Fall months. Romania was one of my stops. Maybe I'll reattempt in a few years. Now I'm Orthodox it will be even sweeter!

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
I recently had an argument with someone about this cathedral after sharing the story on social media - the usual "that money could have been better spent elsewhere!", "megalomania", etc. Unknown to them is that the Romanian Orthodox Church, with its associated charities and clerical and lay volunteers, is arguably the largest provider of social welfare and public good in the country. The cathedral is a draw that will help to ensure that the church remains viable and able to provide assistance to the Romanian people. Of course, dissent comes from the west, where the role of the church in providing for the people has been done away with (and not for the better), where religion is irrelevant, and where churches are now museums, restaurants, and hipster apartments.

Reaction score
I recently had an argument with someone about this cathedral after sharing the story on social media - the usual "that money could have been better spent elsewhere!", "megalomania", etc. Unknown to them is that the Romanian Orthodox Church, with its associated charities and clerical and lay volunteers, is arguably the largest provider of social welfare and public good in the country. The cathedral is a draw that will help to ensure that the church remains viable and able to provide assistance to the Romanian people. Of course, dissent comes from the west, where the role of the church in providing for the people has been done away with (and not for the better), where religion is irrelevant, and where churches are now museums, restaurants, and hipster apartments.
It's difficult to discern for sure to state the threshold of what is "too much" for some religious personnel or building. I would fully admit in my former life to not be ok with preachers flying around on private jets. Yet, many who state ornate cathedrals are excessive, go to church on a 150000 sqft campus while the staff is flown in that morning.
The west's religious social programs are further complicated by their receipt of government funds. So while their efficiency is probably greatly increased, they drive to the direction of modern cultural whims. Corruption and effort looks less like God's influence and more like the spread of humanism.

theorthodoxchurch

High Elder
Reaction score
Website

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
God save Romania, and the Romanian Orthodox Church! Godspeed to His Holiness Patriarch Daniel, his Synod of Bishops, and all who work with him, and may the Romanian Church remain a fruitful branch on God's Vine.