the similiarity and difference between Orthodoxy and catholic

walter1234

High Elder
Reaction score
I come from Protestant. I know what the difference is between Protestant and Orthodoxy a lot.

And Now, I want to know more about what the similiarity and difference are between the Orthodoxy and Catholic, especially the faith and doctrines. Can someone tell me?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Filioque - whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son
Papal Infallibility - Catholics say the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, Orthodox deny this.
Papal Supremacy - Does the Pope have Universal Jurisdiction? Catholics say yes, Orthodox say no.

These are the big three. There are some more but they usually have less substance.

username!

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Where Iron hydrochloride ruins watersheds
Devotions to Saints and Mary-both have it.  However we don't consider her a co-redemptorix
In the States and Canada in Orthodoxy parish councils mostly run the parish.  I recommend you stay out of this for as long as possible because parish councils can be terribly cheeky.
Catholicism is ran more by the priest in the church with everything highly organized and there are parish councils but the priest has the final say.  Not doctrine differences just stuff you'd experience in real life.
There is a lot more lay participation in clerical rules in Catholicism.  IE, no priest present for first communion retreats, etc... people taking communion to the sick.  This doesn't happen in orthodoxy the priest is usually involved or the deacon at most major groups/classes and they take the sacraments to the sick.
accountability;  it is harder to get away with slacking off and not knowing people you go to church with when you go to a small North American Orthodox church versus a Roman Catholic parish that may have 8 Sat/Sun Masses and 4000 families.

We are the oldest Christian community in existence.  Rome even left us and the "columbus found the new world in 1492" answer is 1054 A.D.  They sacked us in Constantinople 1204 A.D. (never forget it). 

Melodist

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Filioque - whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son
In the context of what is expressed in the Creed.

Papal Infallibility - Catholics say the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, Orthodox deny this.
Papal Supremacy - Does the Pope have Universal Jurisdiction? Catholics say yes, Orthodox say no.

These are the big three. There are some more but they usually have less substance.
This pretty much sums it up.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Melodist said:
Cyrillic said:

Catholics tend to be more legalistic while Orthodox are more mystical.

Kerdy

Taxiarches
Reaction score
J Michael said:
Here we go...again  ::) ::).
As long as this doesn’t turn into a Catholic bashing thread, I think it is safe to simply discuss the differences and similarities, but that appears to be difficult for many people.  I have said many times before that if it were not for a small handful of things I could not work around, I would have become Roman Catholic.  The more I learned about Orthodoxy, the more I respected the Roman Catholic Church.  I suppose I am the odd ball.

Red A.

Reaction score
Cyrillic said:

Original sin, Immaculate conception

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Similarities:

-Both are Liturgical (although the RC Church keeps getting more and more liberal throughout the years, watering down their worship gradually)
-Both argue Apostolic succession
-Both rely on Church Tradition opposed to just the Scriptures
-Same Sacraments/Mysteries pretty much--except a few differences in the Marriage Sacraments and a bit of a difference between Confirmation and Chrismation

Differences:

-The Filioque, RCs believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, but we believe that it only proceeds from the Father.
-Substitutionary Atonement (often an overlooked but major differece), RCs believe that Jesus died to appease His Father's wrath against humanity, EOs believe that He died to defeat death.
-Original Sin, the RCs believe that we inherited Adam's guilt, the EOs believe that we only inherited the consequences of his sin--which was death.
-Ecclessiology, the RCs believe in all this weirdo Papal theology about the Pope being the supreme Bishop and being infallible in certain conditions, whereas the EO believes that all Bishops and Patriarchates are equal and none are individually infallible.

Tamara

Archon
Reaction score
I guess this would follow under liturgics but I just found out, due to be raised in the Orthodox church and not being aware, that Roman Catholics have not been exposed to the poetic theology encapsulated in our hymnography. I have been sharing our church hymns with a group of very devout Roman Catholics on Facebook. They are in awe of the beauty and inspiration in our hymnography. They wanted to know who had written the hymns but most of these hymns have been written so long ago (first few centuries of Christianity) that either the authors are anonymous or have been lost to the passages of time.

I was so happy to give them part of our shared heritage that had somehow been lost to them. One woman wrote that the hymn of Christ destroying death through is Godhead and raising the dead with Himself was one of the most inspiring quotes she had ever heard.

Anyway, their excitement of reading the hymns gave me, a lackadaisical Orthodox, a new appreciation for the theology and beauty in our hymns that I had taken for granted.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Melodist said:
Red A. said:
Original sin, Immaculate conception
These are only an issue because of the dogmatization of the IC.
Well, they are related.  The Orthodox reject the Latin concept of Original Sin.  IC is not necessary if there is no Original Sin.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
They wanted to know who had written the hymns but most of these hymns have been written so long ago (first few centuries of Christianity) that either the authors are anonymous or have been lost to the passages of time.
Good to hear from you, Tamara!  :)

You'll be pleased to know that the identity of the writers of a good proportion of Orthodox hymnography is indeed known to us. These hymnographers are recorded in the menaia and other liturgical books which contain the texts of feasts and other liturgical services.

If there's any particular hymn you'd like to know who the hymnographer was who wrote it, feel free to PM me.  :)

walter1234

High Elder
Reaction score
Catholic also believes the cross and death of Jesus is to fulifill  the glory and justice of Father and ransom us from Him.It is quite similar to Protestant. The main difference between the atonement of Protestant and Catholic is simply that Catholic believe Father did not shown angry to and  kill Jesus

Catholic believes that there is purgatory while Orthodox does not.

walter1234

High Elder
Reaction score
Kerdy said:
Melodist said:
Cyrillic said:

Catholics tend to be more legalistic while Orthodox are more mystical.
Besides original sin and satisfaction atonement, what can also show that Catholic Church is more legalistic?

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
walter1234 said:
Besides original sin and satisfaction atonement, what can also show that Catholic Church is more legalistic?
Just read the Code of Canon Law.

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
walter1234 said:
One guess would be the RC marriage annulment process. The RCC teaches that divorce and remarriage is morally wrong, and a mortal sin,  but on the other hand, almost everyone who applies for a Catholic annulment in the USA gets it with the official stamp of the Church.