the similiarity and difference between Orthodoxy and catholic

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Filioque - whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son
Papal Infallibility - Catholics say the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, Orthodox deny this.
Papal Supremacy - Does the Pope have Universal Jurisdiction? Catholics say yes, Orthodox say no.

These are the big three. There are some more but they usually have less substance.
The pope is only infallible speaking ex-cathedra on faith and morals......

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
Filioque - whether the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father or from the Father and the Son
Papal Infallibility - Catholics say the Pope is infallible when speaking ex cathedra, Orthodox deny this.
Papal Supremacy - Does the Pope have Universal Jurisdiction? Catholics say yes, Orthodox say no.

These are the big three. There are some more but they usually have less substance.
Yes, that's so but I thought that was obvious. He isn't claiming infallibility when doing maths.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
username! said:
They sacked us in Constantinople 1204 A.D. (never forget it). 
"They" sacked "us". *sigh*
"They" were Western and Venetian Crusaders not the Vatican.

And their despicable actions certainly wasn't condoned by the pope.

Charles Martel

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:

Yes, that's so but I thought that was obvious. He isn't claiming infallibility when doing maths.
I just thought I'd qualify it for the those not as familiar with the faith as ourselves.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
username! said:

That's why I posted it in scare quotes. Nobody posting here on this forum was alive in 1204. Really, the "they sacked us" thing is silly.

walter1234

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
walter1234 said:
The Catholic Christian also place importance on the written work of Church Fathers and saints, like Orthodox Church?
Yes.
AS what I know, satisfaction theory atonement is formed by Anselm after A.D 1000.Can Catholic Church find any written work of Church father to support its/Anselm's view of atonement?Is there any Church father teaching that Jesus ransoms us from Father?

Is there any written works of  Church father mentioning the purgatory?

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
walter1234 said:
AS what I know, satisfaction theory atonement is formed by Anselm after A.D 1000.Can Catholic Church find any written work of Church father to support it's/Anselm's view of atonement?
St. Augustine and then some other Latin Fathers. The Latin West used juridical terms to express the oikonomia of salvation.

walter1234 said:
Is there any written works of  Church father mentioning the purgatory?
Pope St. Leo the Great, St. Augustine, St. Cyprian, etc. It's very much a Latin thing.

walter1234

High Elder
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
walter1234 said:
AS what I know, satisfaction theory atonement is formed by Anselm after A.D 1000.Can Catholic Church find any written work of Church father to support it's/Anselm's view of atonement?
St. Augustine and then some other Latin Fathers. The Latin West used juridical terms to express the oikonomia of salvation.

walter1234 said:
Is there any written works of  Church father mentioning the purgatory?
Pope St. Leo the Great, St. Augustine, St. Cyprian, etc. It's very much a Latin thing.
Latin people were so legalistic... ::)

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
walter1234 said:
Many early Fathers speak of a purging or cleansing after death, though there were/are different opinions as to how this takes place.

walter1234

High Elder
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
walter1234 said:
Many early Fathers speak of a purging or cleansing after death, though there were/are different opinions as to how this takes place.
Does Orthodox Church take any Church Father's view of purging or cleasing of soul after the death as its doctrine?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
walter1234 said:
Asteriktos said:
walter1234 said:
Does Orthodox Church take any Church Father's view of purging or cleasing of soul after the death as its doctrine?
No specific one, no. However, as in the time of the ancient Church, individual Orthodox are free to believe a range of things about what happens after death.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
The Latin words of dismissal were: "Ite, missa est".
So, this term really doesn't describe what happens at Liturgy but merely a means of dismissal.....Maybe Im not up on Latin meanings.  I've heard the term "Liturgy of the Mass" and this really doesn't seem to fit either....

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
JoeS2 said:
So, this term really doesn't describe what happens at Liturgy but merely a mean of dismissal.....Then why use the term?
Exactly. In the olden days the people just heard some Latin rambling and the only words they knew were "Ite missa est" because that was the sign that you could finally go, so that's what stuck  :p

(I'm just making something up now)

domNoah

Reaction score
Website
www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com
username! said:
Rome even left us and the "columbus found the new world in 1492" answer is 1054 A.D.  They sacked us in Constantinople 1204 A.D. (never forget it). 
Im not sure based on your post if you knew that those "Catholics" were all excommunicated by the Pope after sacking Constantinople?

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Cyrillic said:
JoeS2 said:
So, this term really doesn't describe what happens at Liturgy but merely a mean of dismissal.....Then why use the term?
Exactly. In the olden days the people just heard some Latin rambling and the only words they knew were "Ite missa est" because that was the sign that you could finally go, so that's what stuck  :p

(I'm just making something up now)
Except for the part where they learned Latin in Catholic school and had booklets with Latin on one page and the local language on the other. Boring stuff like that.  ::) Poor useless Latin, only giving birth to the Romance languages and countless terms in science and law. Silly Italians, can't they go back to putting tomato sauce on everything?

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Wait...when did Italians stop putting tomato sauce on everything? Mama mia! :eek:

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
username! said:

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that gambling is going on here!"
"Your winnings, sir."
"Oh thank you."

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Shanghaiski said:
Charles Martel said:
Cyrillic said:
username! said:

"I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find that gambling is going on here!"
"Your winnings, sir."
"Oh thank you."
Sigh.

I should have known the OC.net weather pattern would reach its usual conclusion fairly quickly.