• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Spirits of God

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
I perceive in my Spirit that 1 reason the Spirit of the Lord sent me here to you all is to be an example to you to show you how to treat(behave towards) others. Even when they make themselves your adversary with out a cause.
This still has no relevance to the OP you posted.

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
I'll try again from the beginning. You have posted three passages from the Book of Revelation. You say that the Spirit inspired you to do so. This may be true, but what people are asking for, is the purpose, with which these passages have been posted. What are you trying to tell us with this? This is what people have been asking for.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
Ansgar said:
Stephen Levi said:
Revelation, Chapter 1, 4: John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne;

Revelation, Chapter 3, 1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

Revelation, Chapter 4, 5: And out of the throne proceeded lightnings and thunderings and voices: and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

Revelation, Chapter 5, 6: And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
I'll try again from the beginning. You have posted three passages from the Book of Revelation. You say that the Spirit inspired you to do so. This may be true, but what people are asking for, is the purpose, with which these passages have been posted. What are you trying to tell us with this? This is what people have been asking for.
Here is 1 purpose, to discuss the scriptures that I posted, with anyone who will do so with me. Do you need any more?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
Ansgar said:
Stephen Levi said:

Here is 1 purpose, to discuss the scriptures that I posted, with anyone who will do so with me. Do you need any more?
Yes, we do. Firstly, posting blank passages without adding anything else is no way to start a discussion. Secondly, what other purposes do you have for starting this thread?

Ansgar

Archon
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
Ansgar said:
Stephen Levi said:

So you want to discuss the meaning of the passages? Great!
This was what people asked about in the beginning.

I cannot, at the moment, tell you what the Church teaches, concerning this issue, though other poster may be able to do so. However, I will try and see if I can find anything.

Of course, I would also like to hear your input.

Dan-Romania

High Elder
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
If I thought what you though about what is posted on this thread.

I would not read it.
So you can read my mind, can you? Only God can do that.
He also can tell me what you you are thinking in your mind.
what am I thinking in my mind?

Dan-Romania

High Elder
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:

1. The Spirit of Justification: "...you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God." We are all justified because of God's grace and by our faith, and it is the Spirit of God who draws us and empowers us to acknowledge Jesus as our Lord and Savior (1 Corinthians 12:3). This is the first work of the Spirit when one is born again.  (1 Corinthians 6:11) And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

2. The Spirit of Sanctification: 2 Thessalonians 2:13, "...God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth." Sanctification is the process of God's grace by which the believer is separated from sin, purified by life lived in the Spirit. (Galatians 5:16, 25 and Romans 8:1-14) The fruit of the Spirit will begin to manifest as we yield to the process of sanctification.

3. The Spirit of Life: Romans 8:2, "For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death." This is the Spirit of adoption (Romans 8:15) which makes us the sons of God (Romans 8:16-19). We can now live in the resurrection power of Christ where the operation of the gifts of the Spirit cause our lives to become supernatural. The Spirit will give life to our mortal bodies. Healing and strength will come into our bodies of flesh (Romans 8:11) as well as giving us a glorified body in that day.

4. The Spirit of Truth: John 14:17 "The Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." The truth will set us free. The truth will bring revelation knowledge as we are taught by the Holy Spirit. The Spirit of truth will reveal Jesus to us (John 15:26). Vision will be given to lead us into all truth and reveal the kingdom to us. Deception will be removed, and the lies destroyed.

5. The Spirit of Wisdom: Ephesians 1:17, "That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him." Not only will the Spirit give us a knowledge of Jesus, but it will give us insight into His mind and what He is doing (1 Corinthians 2:6-16). The Holy Spirit is our teacher (John 14:26).

6. The Spirit of Deliverance: Matthew 12:28 "But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, surely the kingdom of God has come upon you." It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that we are delivered from sin and by that same Spirit demons are cast out and the powers of darkness are defeated.

7. The Spirit of Prayer: Romans 8:26, "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." Ephesians 6:18 tells us that all prayer should be done in the Spirit.

Isaiah 11:2 ( New International Version)

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the Lord—

Next? :)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Serpentslayer, is that you?

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53646.0.html

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:

Could it be?!?!?!  I loved that guy!!!!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:

I hope so. I need a good dose of weird today.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:
TheTrisagion said:
hecma925 said:

I hope so. I need a good dose of weird today.
His departure last time was too soon.
True.  If Stephen Levi sticks it out after 20+ posts, we'll be good.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Ansgar said:
Stephen Levi said:
Ansgar said:
Stephen Levi said:

So you want to discuss the meaning of the passages? Great!
This was what people asked about in the beginning.

I cannot, at the moment, tell you what the Church teaches, concerning this issue, though other poster may be able to do so. However, I will try and see if I can find anything.

Of course, I would also like to hear your input.
+1!  Exactly!  When you post something, please give us an original purpose.  Don't just post something and expect us to figure out what you want.  Otherwise, that's trolling behavior, not welcoming behavior as part of the oc.net community.

When you posted the verses, it could be a couple of things, whether you're confused about them, or you want to know if there are any ancient commentaries about them, or if there was a dogmatic belief on 7 spirits as has been understood, etc.  But to quote four verses without stating your purpose can mean many things.  It can mean some Hindu sage who wishes to use verses and then teach us his own heresies throughout the thread.  And I'm not making that up.  We had a lot of unwelcome visitors of the forum trolling our site.

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen,

Welcome to the forum.

One of our Ethiopian Orthodox members started a "verses" thread in the Oriental Orthodox section, where people can post verses.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,29778.0.html#top

That would be an appropriate place to post verses without questions or discussion.  Elsewhere, it doesn't really make sense since this is a discussion forum.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
Romans, Chapter 8, 2: For the law of the Spirit of life in
Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Revelation, Chapter 11, 11: And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them.

The Seven Spirits of God

1. The Spirit of Life

2. The Spirit of Prophecy

Revelation, Chapter 19, 10: And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus
is
the spirit of prophecy.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When I see something worth discussing with someone, I will do so.  I avoid vain and foolish questions, as it is written...

2 Timothy, Chapter 2, 23: But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When I see something worth discussing with someone, I will do so.  I avoid vain and foolish questions, as it is written...

2 Timothy, Chapter 2, 23: But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
Humility doesn't seem to be your strong suit.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
As you can see I am within the word of God.
Your point?
Matthew, Chapter 7, 6: Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:

Aprigngius of Beja considered the seven spirits to be the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit.  Oecumenius  considered the seven spirits to be angels.  Andrew of Caserea considered them to be either one or the other.  Prmasius considered them to be the Holy Spirit.  I retrieved this information from Revelation / edited by William C. Weinrich (Ancient Christian commentary on Scripture, New Testament; v. 12).

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When I see something worth discussing with someone, I will do so.  I avoid vain and foolish questions, as it is written...

Are you humble? Yes or no?

The Lord instructed me to ask you is humility is your strong suit.  Yes or no?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
Your point?
Matthew, Chapter 7, 6: Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
Mark 9:35
And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.”

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
Your point?
And He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, “If anyone desires to be first, he shall be last of all and servant of all.”
Do you desire to be first? yes or no?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
Your point?
Do you desire to be first? yes or no?
What do Christ's words in that passage mean to you, Stephen?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  When I see something worth discussing with someone, I will do so.  I avoid vain and foolish questions, as it is written...

I have no idea if the "instructions" you're receiving are indeed from God. We are to test the spirits, after all.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:

I have no idea if the "instructions" you're receiving are indeed from God. We are to test the spirits, after all.
I have been testing your spirit.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
The Spirit of Life

Let's discuss it.

Tell me, what do you know about The Spirit of Life?

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:

And the results?  I'd give an "A".

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:

I hate the praise of men. Do not ever praise me.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Stephen Levi said:
hecma925 said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:

That "A" wasn't for you.

Stephen Levi

Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Stephen Levi said:
hecma925 said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:
LBK said:
Stephen Levi said:

That "A" wasn't for you.
Thank you.  I hate the praise of men.