The Sports Thread

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HabteSelassie said:
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
LeBron James had 29 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists -- all team highs -- in the Miami Heat's series-clinching win over the New York Knicks on Wednesday night. It was the 20th time in his pro career that James led his team outright in points, rebounds and assists in a playoff game. That's by far the highest such total for any player in NBA history. In fact, the only other players who did that in at least 10 games are Larry Bird (13) and Tim Duncan (11).
ESPN.com

yet another instance of LeBron's beastly athleticism.  What LeBron lacks in championships, he makes up for in sheer attack at the stat sheets.  For all his greatness, Jordan doesn't have 1/6th of the career double-doubles which James has already accumulated thus far, indeed LeBron has already taken Jordan's career tripple-doubles (28) since he has 32, including matching Jordan with a rare tripple-double in the Finals!  At this pace, James is sure to become one of the greatest basketball players statistically to touch the court, only the likes of Kareem or Chamberlain will survive! ..and remember y'all, it took Wilt ELEVEN years to get his FIRST championship, and another five to get only his second.  The number of rings isn't everything, its about the skill, style, and basketball IQ.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Double-double is a pretty useless stat, especially when comparing a guard to a forward.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Coach Paul Bear Bryant's Letter to Incoming Freshmen:

You will be expected to report for football practice August 17. We will expect you to arrive in the afternoon and our first meal will be served that evening at the dorm.

On the 18th, you will take your physical, including the mile run, get your room and locker assignments and participate in Photographer’s Day in the afternoon. Our first practice will be on the morning of the 19th.

I am expecting you to report in top physical condition, clean-cut, smiling, bright-eyed, bushy-tailed and raring to go. Also, I am expecting you to be prepared to run, hit, pitch, kick, catch, sweat, smell and enjoy it. There are no easy ways but there are ways to enjoy the journey and we must find them.

I am also expecting you to work hard, eat well, sleep well, play well, display a winning attitude at all times, be a leader and help me sell the squad on what it takes to win and enjoy the journey.

I hope you will share your problems with me whether it be at home, at the dorm, in your school work, with teammates, with coaches, with training regulations, self-discipline or even flying a kite. If you do that, I will try to help you and, if I can’t, I’ll recommend you get a job, join the Army, or join the Foreign Legion, but, in any event, to reside in another state.

Nothing’s too good for winners. I want to love you, pat you, pet you, brag on you and see you hoot, run and shout and laugh, pray, hug, kiss, and win with humility.

If we lose, I want all of us to be unhappy, no one to have any fun, and expect only what is reserved for losers but take it with dignity while planning to come back.

Please remember us to your family and make your personal plans on how you are going to reach your goal – the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Sincerely,
Paul Bryant

Selam

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score
Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!
Achronos said:
HabteSelassie said:
9. Stats Check
By Elias Sports Bureau

James
LeBron James had 29 points, 8 rebounds and 7 assists -- all team highs -- in the Miami Heat's series-clinching win over the New York Knicks on Wednesday night. It was the 20th time in his pro career that James led his team outright in points, rebounds and assists in a playoff game. That's by far the highest such total for any player in NBA history. In fact, the only other players who did that in at least 10 games are Larry Bird (13) and Tim Duncan (11).
ESPN.com

yet another instance of LeBron's beastly athleticism.  What LeBron lacks in championships, he makes up for in sheer attack at the stat sheets.  For all his greatness, Jordan doesn't have 1/6th of the career double-doubles which James has already accumulated thus far, indeed LeBron has already taken Jordan's career tripple-doubles (28) since he has 32, including matching Jordan with a rare tripple-double in the Finals!  At this pace, James is sure to become one of the greatest basketball players statistically to touch the court, only the likes of Kareem or Chamberlain will survive! ..and remember y'all, it took Wilt ELEVEN years to get his FIRST championship, and another five to get only his second.  The number of rings isn't everything, its about the skill, style, and basketball IQ.

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Double-double is a pretty useless stat, especially when comparing a guard to a forward.
Excuse me but what? A double-double is only a useless stat to players who have a few, but they make or break a game. If a player can't get at least a 1/3 of his season with double-double games in this current NBA, they aren't playing at an all-star level!  Plenty of guards get double-doubles by the way.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some PGs might be able to get P+A Double Doubles but it's a lot harder if you're a shooting guard and even as a point guard the amount of guys who get double doubles like that is a lot lower compared to rebound ones. I am pretty sure Boozer had more double doubles at his peak than Dirk did at the same position but you'd be a fool to draw a conclusion from that. The year Kobe had 35 points a game he only had 3 double doubles, less than what Chris Mihm had on his own team. Michael Jordan put up only 12 double doubles in 1996, etc.

There's nothing magical about the number 10.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Some PGs might be able to get P+A Double Doubles but it's a lot harder if you're a shooting guard and even as a point guard the amount of guys who get double doubles like that is a lot lower compared to rebound ones. I am pretty sure Boozer had more double doubles at his peak than Dirk did at the same position but you'd be a fool to draw a conclusion from that. The year Kobe had 35 points a game he only had 3 double doubles, less than what Chris Mihm had on his own team. Michael Jordan put up only 12 double doubles in 1996, etc.

Backing you up, I notice that the top 11 players in the NBA for double-doubles this year were all low post players (power forward or center). The number one player in this stat, Kevin Love, tallied more than twice as many double-doubles (points and rebounds) as LeBron James (Love 48, James 23). The number one guard, tying for No. 11, was Steve Nash, the top player in this stat to rack up most of his double-doubles via points and assists.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/sort/doubleDouble/seasontype/2

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Achronos said:

Backing you up, I notice that the top 11 players in the NBA for double-doubles this year were all low post players (power forward or center). The number one player in this stat, Kevin Love, tallied more than twice as many double-doubles (points and rebounds) as LeBron James (Love 48, James 23). The number one guard, tying for No. 11, was Steve Nash, the top player in this stat to rack up most of his double-doubles via points and assists.

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/double-doubles/sort/doubleDouble/seasontype/2
Interesting stat: The NBA leader in triple-doubles this year (the only player to rack up more than one): Rajon Rondo with 6 (not including the one he achieved tonight against the Sixers).

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Achronos said:

Interesting stat: The NBA leader in triple-doubles this year (the only player to rack up more than one): Rajon Rondo with 6 (not including the one he achieved tonight against the Sixers).
Lebron managing to average 27/8/6 but not scoring any triple doubles is weird.

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

stavros_388 said:
Clippers advance! Woot.
What a game! Memphis already gave me seven heart attacks last year against OKC, that team is hungry.  What made the difference? Something neither Lakers or Heat can generate, a 41-11 advantage from Clippers' bench!  Not that Clippers have that capability just yet, but the team that wins the championships is the team whose bench can capitalize in the clutch.  The Lakers past few came from exceptional break out games from the bench.  How did Boston get there's and also get to the Finals in 2010? A bench that could hold it up with 50 points  a game if needed!  Also, using the bench completely through off Grizzlies' defense strategy which was working against Paul.  CP3 is strategic, but  Bledsoe was coming through with a more wild, chaotic, and yet productive offense which mixed up Memphis.  Plus, Memphis couldn't keep up their intense pace for seven games, just like last year, when OKC's bench equally helped em win it!

Plus the Lakers,  what a game last night!  And the Heat game was good too! A great play-off weekend after a week full of LA let-downs!  Oh yeah, and the Kings are just dominating yet again! Peace out Coyotes, Stanley Cup in LA?  The Staples' Center is one of the first arena's in the history of American professional sports to house multiple semi-final play-off games at the same time.  If Lakers got the championship, and Kings got the Cup, and Dodgers took the World Series, that would simply be an amazing year to be an Angelino!!

About the LeBron triple doubles thing, he is not having to hold up the offense so single-handedly as he traditionally has, so ironically he has a career low for minutes and is below average on points since he has people to reliably pass the ball to.  By the way, how did Lakers pull of the win? Kobe passing the ball.  When Kobe shoots less than 20 shots the Lakers are well above .800!! When he shoots more, the fall more near .500..

stay blessed,
habte selassie

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
CP3 is strategic, but  Bledsoe was coming through with a more wild, chaotic, and yet productive offense which mixed up Memphis
Bledsoe was the man yesterday! Yeah, the Clippers' bench was the difference in game 7, no doubt. Onward!

kurtismjohnson

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I know everyone here just wants to talk about basketball, but heres a nice video of the Cardinals honoring Chipper Jones at his last game at Busch Stadium.  (unless we see them in the playoffs....)

http://hub.video.msn.com/embed/cf4217aa-41cd-4225-970b-884d68a41de2/?vars=bWt0PWVuLXVzJmJyYW5kPUZTX1NvdXRoJmxpbmtvdmVycmlkZTI9aHR0cCUzYSUyZiUyZnd3dy5mb3hzcG9ydHNzb3V0aC5jb20lMmZwYWdlcyUyZnZpZGVvJTNmdmlkZW9pZCUzZCU3YjAlN2QmbGlua2JhY2s9aHR0cCUzYSUyZiUyZnd3dy5mb3hzcG9ydHNzb3V0aC5jb20lMmYmY29uZmlnQ3NpZD1NU05WaWRlbyZjb25maWdOYW1lPXN5bmRpY2F0aW9ucGxheWVyJnN5bmRpY2F0aW9uPXRhZyZwbGF5ZXIuZnI9c2hhcmVlbWJlZC1zeW5kaWNhdGlvbg%3D%3D

(sorry the link is so long. its legit though.)

Go Braves!!

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

Timon said:
I know everyone here just wants to talk about basketball, but heres a nice video of the Cardinals honoring Chipper Jones at his last game at Busch Stadium.  (unless we see them in the playoffs....)

http://hub.video.msn.com/embed/cf4217aa-41cd-4225-970b-884d68a41de2/?vars=bWt0PWVuLXVzJmJyYW5kPUZTX1NvdXRoJmxpbmtvdmVycmlkZTI9aHR0cCUzYSUyZiUyZnd3dy5mb3hzcG9ydHNzb3V0aC5jb20lMmZwYWdlcyUyZnZpZGVvJTNmdmlkZW9pZCUzZCU3YjAlN2QmbGlua2JhY2s9aHR0cCUzYSUyZiUyZnd3dy5mb3hzcG9ydHNzb3V0aC5jb20lMmYmY29uZmlnQ3NpZD1NU05WaWRlbyZjb25maWdOYW1lPXN5bmRpY2F0aW9ucGxheWVyJnN5bmRpY2F0aW9uPXRhZyZwbGF5ZXIuZnI9c2hhcmVlbWJlZC1zeW5kaWNhdGlvbg%3D%3D

(sorry the link is so long. its legit though.)

Go Braves!!
Its the NBA play-offs and baseball season is still in its infancy.  When the NBA ends in June, the summer will be for MLB and the Olympics.  I been talking about both the Dodgers and the Kings though, LA is looking hot on all fronts! The Dodgers were a World Series team in 2009 when they last took the division, its just the locker room and office that collapsed, not necessarily the talent.  Now that Magic brought his special touch, even if just symbolically, Chavez Ravine is once again making waves.  It  just might be 1987/1988 ;)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

While Bosh getting sidelined is a big concern, LeBron had more rebounds than Bosh and generally does well at the power forward so they just might be fine at least for the Pacers' series..

James has a 29.1 player efficiency rating (PER) as a small forward this season according to 82games website. At power forward? James' PER soars to 37.1, which is simply off-the-charts good.
ESPN
To put that in perspective, here is the NBA all-time career PER leaders..  The Top 5 most efficient players ever?

1) Michael Jordan at 27.91 PER
2) LeBron Jams at 27.24 PER
3) Shaq at 26.43 PER
4) David Robinson 26.18
5) Wilt Chamberlain 26.13
(honorable mention of Dwayne Wade who sits at number 6 at 25.70)  

and to add to the Amare/Melo debate for New York, on the all-time career list Amare ranks as the 26th most efficient player EVER, and Carmelo is 57th (still impressive but in comparison to Amare..)

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
christian7777 said:
Asteriktos said:
HabteSelassie said:
Did he star in this game?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Some of the old NBA video games are really fun actually, like NBA Live 2003.
True, true. I was a teen in the 90s, and I spent many a weekend night playing NBA games, with a can of oh so delicious Mt. Dew on the table beside me, and an-almost-finished bag of Doritos in my lap. Ahh, to be young again!

HabteSelassie

Archon
Reaction score

Asteriktos said:
HabteSelassie said:
Did he star in this game?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
No..

But Grant Hill is ;)  

Last season Hill joined a unique club, alongside Jordan as the only other player to have a 30/10 game older than 38.  Jordan was 40, the third is Reggie Miller at 34.  I love me some Grant Hill..

The best NBA video game was NBA Live 1999, turning off ALL the rules, pure jungle ball!

stay blessed,
habte selassie