The Sports Thread

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Serena Williams is made of pure, unadulterated awesome, and so are her court outfits.

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
A blast from the past, 2016.

Serena Williams: Rising Japanese tennis star Naomi Osaka is 'very dangerous'

MELBOURNE – When Naomi Osaka, an 18-year-old rising star in women’s tennis, won her final qualifying match on Saturday at the Australian Open, a swarm of Japanese fans followed her off the court.
Osaka is half black and half Japanese. She’s the daughter of a Japanese mother and Haitian father. When Naomi was three, her family moved to New York to be close to her dad’s family.
Her potential to continue climbing up the rankings is plain in her sturdy game, which can feel like Serena’s at time with the serve, forehand one-two punch.

“I have seen her play,” Serena told reporters on Monday. “She's really young and really aggressive. She's a really good, talented player. Very dangerous.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/tennis/aus/2016/01/18/japanese-rising-star-naomi-osaka-serena-williams-australian-open/78956596/

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Listened to the Steelers game on the radio today. Lulz. Pittsburgh never fails to play down to bad opponents. Kinda glad James Conner had a good game though. I don't hate Bell for holding out, but I do think he's insane to believe he's worth as much as he's asking.

Briven

High Elder
Reaction score
Website
pustozersk.blogspot.com
Asteriktos said:
Listened to the Steelers game on the radio today. Lulz. Pittsburgh never fails to play down to bad opponents. Kinda glad James Conner had a good game though. I don't hate Bell for holding out, but I do think he's insane to believe he's worth as much as he's asking.
The Browns. I can't believe it.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Briven said:
Asteriktos said:

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Briven said:
Asteriktos said:
LOL

Apparently there are refrigerators around Cleveland that will open if they win a game. So close!  :-\

Still better than the Bears record. Of course they just made Aaron Rogers mad by banging him up a bit.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
During the last championship we won with them in the final ;)

BTW, you posted a pic  with Serbian player that has the same surname as me :p

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
hecma925 said:
You both have cool hair.
Thanks!

And!
Ha!
Haa!
Haaa!

We've defended the title, we're the world champions!

You know, since my sister 4 years ago made a film "Drużyna" about Polish national male voleyball team that had premiere in Warsaw and was displayed in cinemas in whole Poland and she knows a lot of the players and other people from the team in person, it's a kind of special happiness at our home :)

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Dominika said:
hecma925 said:
You both have cool hair.
Thanks!

And!
Ha!
Haa!
Haaa!

We've defended the title, we're the world champions!

You know, since my sister 4 years ago made a film "Drużyna" about Polish national male voleyball team that had premiere in Warsaw and was displayed in cinemas in whole Poland and she knows a lot of the players and other people from the team in person, it's a kind of special happiness at our home :)
Your family is a good luck charm! ;D

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Can't believe they let Jason Witten back in the broadcast booth.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Fifteen soccer/football phrases from around the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/51MWxHsTD7YhW4gTWWtPvKf/end-to-end-with-15-football-phrases-from-around-the-world?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=fifteenfootballphrases_article&intc_linkname=radio4_sm_mid_c3

copticorthodoxboy

High Elder
Reaction score
Big fight tomorrow: Conor McGregor vs the champ Khabib Nurmagomedov.  Saying it will be the biggest PPV in the UFC's history and is expected to draw more viewership than McGregor vs Mayweather.  I'll be watching; a true clash of styles.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!

Well, the season is more than halfway over. My CRIMSON TIDE is ROLLING right along. In two weeks we'll be truly tested against LSU in the Bayou. But I think this team is truly on another level.

I've seen many great college football players during my 50 years on earth: Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward, Peyton Manning, Marcus DuPree, and Vince Young come to mind. But I've never seen anyone like TUA. I know I'm looking through my Crimson colored glasses, but this guy is the best pure college football player I've ever seen. If he can just stay injury free, he might win two more National Championships and two Heisman Trophies as well. He has all the skills, and he possesses the intangibles and character attributes to accompany his natural talent. He's confident but humble; he's team oriented; he's a natural leader, and he's a devout Christian.

Whether you love BAMA, hate BAMA, or are indifferent, take time to watch this young man play. He is beyond special. If TUA can stay healthy and humble, he may become the best football player to ever grace the collegiate turf. And those are big “ifs”. But I have confidence that he will overcome the hurdles of injuries and ego. I think it’s just in his nature to prevail, no matter what obstacles are thrown his way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7s4vve6_m8&fbclid=IwAR25vDCVC3AJkykpHjtD7c34PNNaOuNeEC0dwUhJ6SXAVxHqDRAggVcc-aw

ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Watching the Red Sox / Dodgers game, bottom of the 9th right now. So that spot on the hat brim of Kimbrel... is that just from his spittle, or is that a potentially illegal "foreign substance"?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Memory eternal.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
The NHL's Florida Panthers and Winnipeg Jets played today in Helsinki, Finland. It was a good game.  I watched some of it. The Jets won 4-2.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The Aubbies pulled out the cut blocks, the cheap shots, and the sandlot shenanigans, but BAMA made them pay 52-21. The Tide is headed to face UGA in the SEC Championship next week. I expect it to be a close game. Auburn was able to run the ball on us effectively, and UGA's backs are much better than Auburn's. But I think our offense will be too much for the Dawgs. Tua Tagovialoa most likely locked up the Heisman with another brilliant performance in the Iron Bowl. He's simply amazing. 

ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  

ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!    ROLL TIDE!  ROLL TIDE!  

Selam

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Looks like another Alabama-Clemson matchup in the National Championship game.  They should go ahead and promote both schools to the NFL.  Put Alabama in the NFC South and Clemson in the AFC South (or the other way around, I don't care).

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
SolEX01 said:
Looks like another Alabama-Clemson matchup in the National Championship game.  They should go ahead and promote both schools to the NFL.  Put Alabama in the NFC South and Clemson in the AFC South (or the other way around, I don't care).
Clemson is legit. Should be another classic game between two great teams.

Selam