• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Sports Thread

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
and the Golden Gophers beat the Fighting Sioux 5-2 :)

LETS GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
And the London Lightning (my city's basketball team) won the championship today in the first year of Canada's pro basketball league (NBL)!

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
stavros_388 said:
And the London Lightning (my city's basketball team) won the championship today in the first year of Canada's pro basketball league (NBL)!
please tell me you arent a knights fan

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
stavros_388 said:
Congratulations.  :)

stavros_388

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
stavros_388 said:
Um... I've only lived in London for 1.5 years, but yeah... I go to the odd hockey game. And yeah, I cheer for the Knights.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
stavros_388 said:
TheMathematician said:
stavros_388 said:
Um... I've only lived in London for 1.5 years, but yeah... I go to the odd hockey game. And yeah, I cheer for the Knights.
blech. at least you arent corrupted too much. GO WOLVES!!!!

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Who are the greatest athletes that you guys have seen play in person?
I once watched a second-year Bret Saberhagen pitch seven perfect innings.  He was relieved by Dan Quisenberry after the Mariners scored in the eighth.  The Royals lost 1-2, with George Brett scoring their only run in the ninth.  That was the year they went the whole way, beating the Cards in the World Series.  The early-season game I saw was one for the ages; what a game!  It was the only one I attended that year.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Who are the greatest athletes that you've ever had the privilege to see play in person? I have been blessed to see Pele, Hank Aaron, and Michael Jordan play in person. I grew up in Atlanta and saw Hank Aaron play for the Braves a few times. I saw Pele when he played against the Atlanta Chiefs when he was with the New York Cosmos. And in high school I saw Jordan play against the Hawks on three different occasions. In my opinion I have seen two of the three greatest athletes of all time- Pele and Jordan (Ali being the third), or at least certainly two of three most influential athletes of all time. But that's only my humble opinion. Who are the greatest athletes that you guys have seen play in person?

Selam
Ryne Sandberg, HOF second baseman who played his entire career for the Chicago Cubs. While I was at Camp Pendleton for two months of Marine Corps MOS training, I made a point of traveling down to San Diego on one of my weekends to watch the Cubs play the Padres.
I can't remember who pitched this game, but I can tell you that if Greg Maddux wasn't on the mound, he was certainly in the Cubs bullpen resting between starts.

I also watched the Padres play the Mets one year earlier in San Diego, so I'm sure I must have seen such players as Darryl Strawberry and the newly departed Gary Carter.

Add to the list Hall-of-Famers Roberto Alomar and Tony Gwynn, who played for the Padres during this time.

That Cubs/Padres game I watched in 1990 must then have featured two of the best fielding second basemen ever (certainly the top 2 in career Gold Gloves won) in Alomar and Sandberg.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
chrevbel said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Who are the greatest athletes that you guys have seen play in person?
I once watched a second-year Bret Saberhagen pitch seven perfect innings.  He was relieved by Dan Quisenberry after the Mariners scored in the eighth.  The Royals lost 1-2, with George Brett scoring their only run in the ninth.  That was the year they went the whole way, beating the Cards in the World Series.  The early-season game I saw was one for the ages; what a game!  It was the only one I attended that year.

Nice!

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Who are the greatest athletes that you've ever had the privilege to see play in person? I have been blessed to see Pele, Hank Aaron, and Michael Jordan play in person. I grew up in Atlanta and saw Hank Aaron play for the Braves a few times. I saw Pele when he played against the Atlanta Chiefs when he was with the New York Cosmos. And in high school I saw Jordan play against the Hawks on three different occasions. In my opinion I have seen two of the three greatest athletes of all time- Pele and Jordan (Ali being the third), or at least certainly two of three most influential athletes of all time. But that's only my humble opinion. Who are the greatest athletes that you guys have seen play in person?

Selam
Ryne Sandberg, HOF second baseman who played his entire career for the Chicago Cubs. While I was at Camp Pendleton for two months of Marine Corps MOS training, I made a point of traveling down to San Diego on one of my weekends to watch the Cubs play the Padres.
I can't remember who pitched this game, but I can tell you that if Greg Maddux wasn't on the mound, he was certainly in the Cubs bullpen resting between starts.

I also watched the Padres play the Mets one year earlier in San Diego, so I'm sure I must have seen such players as Darryl Strawberry and the newly departed Gary Carter.

Add to the list Hall-of-Famers Roberto Alomar and Tony Gwynn, who played for the Padres during this time.

That Cubs/Padres game I watched in 1990 must then have featured two of the best fielding second basemen ever (certainly the top 2 in career Gold Gloves won) in Alomar and Sandberg.
Darryl Strawberry was my favorite player growing up. I still say he had the sweetest swing in baseball. Lot's of off the field struggles, but he seemed to be a genuinely nice guy who just had trouble with his addictions.

Selam

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:

Selam

I just pinpointed on baseball-almanac.com the box score of the Cubs/Padres game I referenced here. It seems that I wasn't all that far off in remembering that Sandberg doubled in that game--he actually hit a triple. Maddux didn't start that game, and Gwynn went hitless. There was one other Hall-of-Famer in that game for the Cubs: RF Andre Dawson, one of the game's best power hitters and an arm in right field to rival that of the great Roberto Clemente.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Clemente 8)
He played his last season 16 years before you were born... and yet you saw him? That's quite impressive! :p

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
PeterTheAleut said:
Achronos said:
Clemente 8)
One of only two players inducted into the Hall of Fame posthumously, the other being Lou Gehrig.
I assume you are not counting inductions by the Committee governing players whose eligibility to be elected by the sportswriters has expired? They elect long forgotten and dead players and others all of the time.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Achronos said:
Clemente 8)
One of only two players inducted into the Hall of Fame posthumously, the other being Lou Gehrig.
I assume you are not counting inductions by the Committee governing players whose eligibility to be elected by the sportswriters has expired? They elect long forgotten and dead players and others all of the time.
Thanks for the clarification. What I meant to say is that Lou Gehrig and Roberto Clemente are the only two players elected posthumously to the Hall of Fame by the Baseball Writers Association, the committee responsible for the first round of elections.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Achronos said:
So if Dont'a Hightower becomes a Steeler does that make you a Steelers fan Gebre?
I have always liked the Steelers. They were my favorite pro team growing up. I like the Rooney family and respect the class of the Steeler organization. The Steelers and the Saints are my favorite pro teams (although, as you know, I don't get into pro sports very much.)

Selam

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Usain Bolt Math Shows Olympic Sprinter Could Run Even Faster

"So if Bolt could get his reaction time down to say 0.13 seconds, which is good but not exceptional, he'd make some improvement on his overall record time of 9.58. It may only be few hundredths of a second, but it's certainly room for improvement."

Barrow has also worked out the top wind speed Bolt would be allowed within Olympic rules to have helping him along - a maximum of 2 meters per second - and the optimum altitude at which he could race in thinner, and hence less resistant, air.

Adding them all together, Bolt could be looking at a new 100-metre world record of 9.4 seconds, without actually running any faster, Barrow said.

"The point I'm trying to make is that we're not going to be reaching the limits of human speed anytime soon," he said. "And there's no reason to assume Bolt is going to be just shaving fractions of hundredths of seconds off each time. There's scope for some quite big improvements."

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Before the baseball season started I said:

Asteriktos said:
I predict that the Pirates will only lose 90 games this year... hooray! 8) I actually like quite a few of their position players... they're not all-stars by any means (except perhaps McCutchen, and maybe Alvarez if he develops like they say he might), but many of them seem solid. Then again, considering where they have most of their money tied up, and considering their potential starting rotation... ugh, it's gonna be another long season.  :-\
The Pirates just played their last game of the season. Their record? 72-90. BOOYA! Who da man? Who can make predictions like an old testament prophet!?  ;D 8) :angel:
This year I'm guessing they'll go about 78-84...  oh, and the Pirates will give up on Alvarez...

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I have to miss the UofL-UK game because of the school play.  :'(

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
GO WILDCATS!

Go Terrence (Jones - Jefferson HS, Portland, OR)!

Go Kyle (Wiltjer - Jesuit HS, Portland, OR)!

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
According to press accounts, Tebow received his first phone call from Jets coach Rex Ryan:

"Hello? This is Tim Tebow."

"Hi, Tim, this is Rex."

"Rex Iudaeorum?!"

"No, Rex Ryan."

"Bummer."

[April Fool's]

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
GO WILDCATS!

Go Terrence (Jones - Jefferson HS, Portland, OR)!

Go Kyle (Wiltjer - Jesuit HS, Portland, OR)!
I like how Terrence sought to make amends for running over a Louisville cheerleader in his futile attempt to save an errant pass. ;D (Evidently, she needed stitches to sew up the wound on her head after that collision.)

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
now that this ridicolous spectacle is over, let's focus on the important college tournament, the frozen fou

LETS GO GOPHERS!!! BEAT THE EAGLES!

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
Anyone paying attention to the Lexington Police Scanner? http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=131962

Worse than bonkers in Lexington right now. Very funny.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
ironchapman said:
Anyone paying attention to the Lexington Police Scanner? http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=131962

Way to think ahead!  :):police:

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
biro said:
ironchapman said:

Way to think ahead!  :).  :police:
Some highlights:

"We just had a flash mob. Everybody said they were gonna shoot everybody."

"stopped a car, male suspect was shooting fireworks out of it"

"Check for multiple burned couches that are blocking the streets."

"Multiple couches on fire blocking the street...We need to get on that"

Officer to someone in the crowd: "Shut up and get away"

"guy half nude running around with a propane tank"

"A couch fire. Another couch coming into the street."

"Male passed out on the railroad tracks"

"Subject surfing on top of a car."

"Fire in the grass median...possibly a couch fire."

"Couch debris at Rose and Maxwell"

"We got a woman in a tree, throwin empty beer containers yellin "[NSFW] Kansas" request backup"

And more! https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/%23LexingtonPoliceScanner

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
biro said:
ironchapman said:

Way to think ahead!  :).  :police:
Some highlights:

"We just had a flash mob. Everybody said they were gonna shoot everybody."

"stopped a car, male suspect was shooting fireworks out of it"

"Check for multiple burned couches that are blocking the streets."

"Multiple couches on fire blocking the street...We need to get on that"

Officer to someone in the crowd: "Shut up and get away"

"guy half nude running around with a propane tank"

"A couch fire. Another couch coming into the street."

"Male passed out on the railroad tracks"

"Subject surfing on top of a car."

"Fire in the grass median...possibly a couch fire."

"Couch debris at Rose and Maxwell"

"We got a woman in a tree, throwin empty beer containers yellin "[NSFW] Kansas" request backup"

And more! https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/%23LexingtonPoliceScanner
Also, these gems:

"Either they found their pants or they've gone back inside."

"They just brought a burning couch out from a backyard...We're gonna need a firetruck"

"We have a juvenile with a gun here. We don't really have any way to take care of this"

"Looks like they doused them in cookin oil or something, they ain't goin out."  (Cardboard boxes)

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Asteriktos said:
biro said:
College hockey on TV today. Yes!  :)
In Florida?  ??? :)
Yeah, they have the NCAA men's hockey semifinals at the Tampa Bay Times Forum in St. Pete today. I would've gotten tickets, if I had an ounce of sense. :)