The Sports Thread

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Fr. George said:
My vote is for the latter.
Jakub said:
I predict that the Pirates will only lose 90 games this year... hooray! 8) I actually like quite a few of their position players... they're not all-stars by any means (except perhaps McCutchen, and maybe Alvarez if he develops like they say he might), but many of them seem solid. Then again, considering where they have most of their money tied up, and considering their potential starting rotation... ugh, it's gonna be another long season.  :-\

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
chrevbel said:
So I'm watching the Baltimore-KC game on CBS, and the announcers state during pre-game that Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles either 1) are the first rushing duo to gain 2300 yards in a season, or 2) have the season rushing record for a duo.

Either way, they're wrong, since Jim Braxton and O.J. combined for 2497 yards in 1973.

Is anyone else watching this game?  And catch the comment I'm talking about?  And can tell me what I missed?
I missed it. I wanted to take a nap for about half an hour, till the game started, and then ended up sleeping through most of it. That's what I get for not sleeping much the night before I suppose.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I predict that the Aubbies will win easily in a very high scoring National Championship game. Something like 48 - 31. I hope I'm dead wrong. Hey Peter, I'm with you 100% tomorrow night! ;)

Selam

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I heard from someone today an interesting take on one aspect of tonight's game. In the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game, played at the same site as last week's Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, who better to coach one of the teams than a man named Chip. :D

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I predict that the Aubbies will win easily in a very high scoring National Championship game. Something like 48 - 31. I hope I'm dead wrong. Hey Peter, I'm with you 100% tomorrow night! ;)
As I first read this, I was worried.  Knowing you're a Tide fan, I feared for your safety if caught pulling for those other guys.  The 'Bama Fan Enforcement Squad take a dim view of that, I'm told.  But I see it's merely your analytical assessment.  And I am with you 100%!

chrevbel

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
chrevbel said:
And catch the comment I'm talking about?  And can tell me what I missed?
I missed it.
Having put far more effort into thinking about this than I ever should have, I think I've convinced myself that they must have said "...first duo in team history to do so."  It's the only explanation that makes sense.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
I heard from someone today an interesting take on one aspect of tonight's game. In the Tostitos BCS National Championship Game, played at the same site as last week's Tostitos Fiesta Bowl, who better to coach one of the teams than a man named Chip. :D

Chips, Dead Guy, and Quack Attack! ;)

Selam

James

Archon
Reaction score
I like the Ducks helmet, but there is a lack of their traditional green in the rest...

Guess them progressives have taken over...

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ducks defense played well in the first half. If the Aubbies score a TD on the opening drive of the second, I'm afraid it will be over for Oregon. BTW, the Aubbies are playing dirty. # 32 should have been thrown out of the game for kneeing that guy in the head. But that's the Barners for you. ::)

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Oregon stepped up big every time I thought they were through. Great effort by the Ducks. I think they should've let Auburn score with two minutes left, then they would have had a chance to get the ball back and possibly tie it up or go for two to win it. But a great game that exceeded my expectations. Oregon should be proud.

Advice to the Aubbies: Save your toilet paper. You're gonna need it to wipe all that tarnish off of your National Championship trophy.

Selam

James

Archon
Reaction score
Oregon had it's chances, after they tied it I thought the momentum had really shifted, now if they had made a good body slam tackle on that RB, who knows...

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What can I say? Even though they came up a FG short, I couldn't be prouder of the Ducks right now. ;D They represented the state of Oregon and the Pac-10 very well on the nation's biggest stage. The way their defense battled in the second half to make stops and keep Auburn from pulling away while their own offense struggled to find any rhythm kept Thomas, James, and Co. always within striking distance. The way the Duck D made the break their O needed to have a chance to tie the game by stripping Newton of the ball at midfield, and the way the offense capitalized by scoring the TD and 2-pt conversion that finished the job... And even though Dyer's big run on Auburn's game winning drive was a back breaker for the Ducks and gave the officials a chance to blow the game with a bad call, they did not. The video replay showed very clearly that the officials made the right call by ruling that Dyer's knee never hit the ground. (They also made the right call by overturning what would have been the game winning TD, but that proved to be a moot point, since Auburn was still in prime position to win the game with a chip shot FG.)

All in all, a very exciting game that finished the way we would like all national championship games to finish. Too bad someone had to lose :'(, but that's the nature of sports. The good news is that Darron Thomas and LaMichael James have both promised to return for their junior season next year, so we may have a chance to see the Duck offense become even better.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Now for my big complaint about the game. Watching the game at a sports bar on my way home from work, I expected to be able to buy a beer. The bar didn't have the beer I wanted at the start, never delivered the beer I ordered before the game started, and even ran out of it by halftime. Looks like I'll be watching the Super Bowl somewhere else this year. [SIGH] :(

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Now for my big complaint about the game. Watching the game at a sports bar on my way home from work, I expected to be able to buy a beer. The bar didn't have the beer I wanted at the start, never delivered the beer I ordered before the game started, and even ran out of it by halftime. Looks like I'll be watching the Super Bowl somewhere else this year. [SIGH] :(

That's just WRONG!  :(

Selam

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
I can sympathise, but fwiw, I've heard that if you buy the booze yourself and sit at home in front of the TV in your living room, the service isn't half bad.

"Woman! Get me another beer! I certainly didn't marry you for your looks or cooking skills, so you better start stepping up the service 'round here!"

:p

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
What can I say? Even though they came up a FG short, I couldn't be prouder of the Ducks right now. ;D They represented the state of Oregon and the Pac-10 very well on the nation's biggest stage. The way their defense battled in the second half to make stops and keep Auburn from pulling away while their own offense struggled to find any rhythm kept Thomas, James, and Co. always within striking distance. The way the Duck D made the break their O needed to have a chance to tie the game by stripping Newton of the ball at midfield, and the way the offense capitalized by scoring the TD and 2-pt conversion that finished the job... And even though Dyer's big run on Auburn's game winning drive was a back breaker for the Ducks and gave the officials a chance to blow the game with a bad call, they did not. The video replay showed very clearly that the officials made the right call by ruling that Dyer's knee never hit the ground. (They also made the right call by overturning what would have been the game winning TD, but that proved to be a moot point, since Auburn was still in prime position to win the game with a chip shot FG.)

All in all, a very exciting game that finished the way we would like all national championship games to finish. Too bad someone had to lose :'(, but that's the nature of sports. The good news is that Darron Thomas and LaMichael James have both promised to return for their junior season next year, so we may have a chance to see the Duck offense become even better.
I agree that the refs got those last two calls right, but they robbed Oregon of a spectacular interception in the first half. The Aubbies scored a TD after that. So, it is very possible that a blown call contributed to Oregon's loss.

But I agree 100% Peter: Oregon has nothing to be ashamed of. Your questionable defense held the Aubbies to less points than my vaunted BAMA defense did. That says a lot! I was amazed at how Oregon converted huge first downs late in the game when the pressure was on. That team played with the confidence and poise of their coach.

It was also very clear which team was the classiest. I applaud Oregon for keeping their composure with all the cheap shots they were receiving all night long. Let's also remember that Oregon was playing in front of a crowd that was 70% Barner fans.

I still would have let Auburn score with 2 minutes left. That was their only chance at that point. You don't see it happen very often, and in the heat of the battle it's tough to think about such things. But I think it would have been an effective strategy.

But hey Peter, you are right to be proud. Your Ducks played an awesome game and made it exciting to watch. With Chip Kelly there, you should be good for quite a while.

Selam

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Asteriktos said:
I can sympathise, but fwiw, I've heard that if you buy the booze yourself and sit at home in front of the TV in your living room, the service isn't half bad.

"Woman! Get me another beer! I certainly didn't marry you for your looks or cooking skills, so you better start stepping up the service 'round here!"

:p

LOL! ;D  I was enjoying some Dead Guy Ale in honor of our brother Peter and his Ducks, but I can assure you that my wife was not bringing it to me!

Selam

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
PeterTheAleut said:

I agree that the refs got those last two calls right, but they robbed Oregon of a spectacular interception in the first half. The Aubbies scored a TD after that. So, it is very possible that a blown call contributed to Oregon's loss.

But I agree 100% Peter: Oregon has nothing to be ashamed of. Your questionable defense held the Aubbies to less points than my vaunted BAMA defense did. That says a lot! I was amazed at how Oregon converted huge first downs late in the game when the pressure was on. That team played with the confidence and poise of their coach.

It was also very clear which team was the classiest. I applaud Oregon for keeping their composure with all the cheap shots they were receiving all night long. Let's also remember that Oregon was playing in front of a crowd that was 70% Barner fans.

I still would have let Auburn score with 2 minutes left. That was their only chance at that point. You don't see it happen very often, and in the heat of the battle it's tough to think about such things. But I think it would have been an effective strategy.

But hey Peter, you are right to be proud. Your Ducks played an awesome game and made it exciting to watch. With Chip Kelly there, you should be good for quite a while.

Selam
Once again, Coach Kelly had the chutzpah to have his QB throw a bomb from his own end zone when he really didn't need to, to run a fake punt from his own end of the field, and to have the holder and kicker run an option play off a fake kick to score a 2-pt conversion. All three plays worked. It's not very often you see a place kicker serve as the pitch back on an option run, but it sure is fun to watch. ;D

It's risky play calling like this that make Chip Kelly such a good coach for our team.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yep, those were some sweet plays. That punter made a beautiful play on he fake punt. He looked like a QB, putting just the right touch on that pass as he was about to get leveled. Very nice!

Selam

PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
PeterTheAleut said:

Selam
Once again, Coach Kelly had the chutzpah to have his QB throw a bomb from his own end zone when he really didn't need to, to run a fake punt from his own end of the field, and to have the holder and kicker run an option play off a fake kick to score a 2-pt conversion. All three plays worked. It's not very often you see a place kicker serve as the pitch back on an option run, but it sure is fun to watch. ;D

It's risky play calling like this that make Chip Kelly such a good coach for our team.