The Sports Thread

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
I still would have let Auburn score with 2 minutes left. That was their only chance at that point. You don't see it happen very often, and in the heat of the battle it's tough to think about such things. But I think it would have been an effective strategy.
Yeah, I heard a state championship game a couple years ago where something like that situation came up. The winning team decided to go for an unnecessary TD on a QB sneak within the game's final minute to put themselves up by two TD's. However, with the other team out of timeouts and thus unable to stop the clock without possession of the ball, the winners could have just run out the clock and started celebrating their 6-point win. Instead, they gave their opponent the window, minuscule as it was, to score a quick TD, recover the onside kick, and score another quick TD to tie the game or take the lead--a not impossible feat since the other team ran a quick-strike spread offense that boasted the state's best QB and three of the state's best receivers. Not only that, the winners also drew from many the charge that they were trying to run up the score and, since it was the coach's son who scored on the QB sneak, the coach had many wondering if he was trying to sneak in an unnecessary attempt to bring some personal glory to his family.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
It looks like Les Miles may be headed to Michigan. If I'm LSU, I give Chip Kelly a call right away. If Miles does go, I sure hope the Cajuns don't go after Kelly. I also think it would be cool if Chip Kelly stayed and developed a consistently good program out in Eugene. I like Oregon and I think it's good for college football to have them do well. Kelly seems like a perfect fit out there, and I hope he stays put much like Chris Peterson has at Boise State.


Selam
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
It looks like Les Miles may be headed to Michigan. If I'm LSU, I give Chip Kelly a call right away. If Miles does go, I sure hope the Cajuns don't go after Kelly. I also think it would be cool if Chip Kelly stayed and developed a consistently good program out in Eugene. I like Oregon and I think it's good for college football to have them do well. Kelly seems like a perfect fit out there, and I hope he stays put much like Chris Peterson has at Boise State.


Selam
The word I've heard is that Kelly considers himself a loyalty guy, so I find it quite likely that if he is offered enticing opportunities to coach somewhere else, he will most likely do as Petersen has and stay put.
 

James

Archon
Joined
May 31, 2003
Messages
2,749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
68
Location
Ventura, California
A sports bar out of beer ! That's unacceptable, UN American, heretical...report them...

Pete, where did this travesty happen ?
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Jakub said:
A sports bar out of beer ! That's unacceptable, UN American, heretical...report them...

Pete, where did this travesty happen ?
1.  I'm not going to say where this happened since I don't want you guys forming a lynch mob to torch the place. (Not that you would.) ;)
2.  My name is not Pete. I know you mean well, but I just don't like the nickname "Pete".
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
PeterTheAleut said:
The video replay showed very clearly that the officials made the right call by ruling that Dyer's knee never hit the ground.
Interesting... This video shows a different take on Dyer's controversial run. http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindducksbeat/2011/01/bcs_national_championship_was.html

A comparison of Dyer's run with an eerily similar run in this year's Sugar Bowl. On both runs, the runner's wrist clearly hit the ground. In the Sugar Bowl, the wrist was ruled as separate from the hand and the runner was therefore ruled down. In the BCS title game, either the officials didn't see that Dyer's wrist had made contact with the ground or they did and judged the wrist to be part of the hand and ruled Dyer still up and eligible to continue running the ball. The same scenario in two different games interpreted differently by two different officiating staffs. Spooky!
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,083
Reaction score
28
Points
48
Age
41
PeterTheAleut said:
PeterTheAleut said:
The video replay showed very clearly that the officials made the right call by ruling that Dyer's knee never hit the ground.
On both runs, the runner's wrist clearly hit the ground.
Maybe. In one situation a certain part of the wrist is said to have hit (top of the arm, or the wrist extensors), and in the other situation a completely different part of the wrist was said to hit (bottom of the arm, or wrist flexors). To some extent it's comparing apples and oranges, IMO, and a somewhat subjective judgment either way.

EDIT--Maybe I'm wrong, lol. As I look at it again I see that both sides (on different arms) hit. At first I only saw the second "wrist" hitting. Huh. Ok, nevermind!  :angel:
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
They need to change the rule. He was clearly "tackled" by any standard definition of the term. I would suggest that if a player is tackled and lands on top of the tackler who is lying on the ground, then the tackler should be considered part of the ground. The Oregon defender made a great tackle, but the flukey rule allowed Auburn to essentially seal the game. The refs did get the call right, but I think this rule should be re-evaluated.


Selam
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
I am shocked that Les Miles isn't the new head coach at Michigan. Last I heard, he was ready to accept the job if offered. Did Michigan offer him the job or not? LSU fans have a better coach than they realize. They should be breathing a huge sigh of relief today.


Selam
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
They need to change the rule. He was clearly "tackled" by any standard definition of the term. I would suggest that if a player is tackled and lands on top of the tackler who is lying on the ground, then the tackler should be considered part of the ground. The Oregon defender made a great tackle, but the flukey rule allowed Auburn to essentially seal the game. The refs did get the call right, but I think this rule should be re-evaluated.


Selam
I don't agree with you. You can be a nitpick and clearly define every rule in the game and give a detailed definition of whether the wrist counts as the arm or the hand if you want, but then where would you stop? Even then, you can never eliminate the human judgment aspect from officiating. The Ducks were the victim of a borderline judgment call that could have easily gone the other direction and still been the right call. We just have to live with that.

And no, Dyer was NOT clearly "tackled" even by any standard definition of the term. By the rules of the game, which is really what matters, the Oregon defender did not bring Dyer down, so no it was NOT a great tackle.
 

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
10,800
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
52
Location
Jackson, MS
Website
www.facebook.com
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
They need to change the rule. He was clearly "tackled" by any standard definition of the term. I would suggest that if a player is tackled and lands on top of the tackler who is lying on the ground, then the tackler should be considered part of the ground. The Oregon defender made a great tackle, but the flukey rule allowed Auburn to essentially seal the game. The refs did get the call right, but I think this rule should be re-evaluated.


Selam
I don't agree with you. You can be a nitpick and clearly define every rule in the game and give a detailed definition of whether the wrist counts as the arm or the hand if you want, but then where would you stop? Even then, you can never eliminate the human judgment aspect from officiating. The Ducks were the victim of a borderline judgment call that could have easily gone the other direction and still been the right call. We just have to live with that.

And no, Dyer was NOT clearly "tackled" even by any standard definition of the term. By the rules of the game, which is really what matters, the Oregon defender did not bring Dyer down, so no it was NOT a great tackle.
As I said, I agree that the refs called it right. I just think the rule should be changed. Human judgement will always be a factor, but it is easier to judge a "tackle" than it is to judge whether the wrist, the elbow, the back of the hand, etc. is touching the ground. But that's just my opinion.

I applaud your objectivity regarding the call though. BTW, what did you think about the inerception that wasn't given to the Ducks in the first half? I think it was a good INT.

Selam

 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
PeterTheAleut said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
They need to change the rule. He was clearly "tackled" by any standard definition of the term. I would suggest that if a player is tackled and lands on top of the tackler who is lying on the ground, then the tackler should be considered part of the ground. The Oregon defender made a great tackle, but the flukey rule allowed Auburn to essentially seal the game. The refs did get the call right, but I think this rule should be re-evaluated.


Selam
I don't agree with you. You can be a nitpick and clearly define every rule in the game and give a detailed definition of whether the wrist counts as the arm or the hand if you want, but then where would you stop? Even then, you can never eliminate the human judgment aspect from officiating. The Ducks were the victim of a borderline judgment call that could have easily gone the other direction and still been the right call. We just have to live with that.

And no, Dyer was NOT clearly "tackled" even by any standard definition of the term. By the rules of the game, which is really what matters, the Oregon defender did not bring Dyer down, so no it was NOT a great tackle.
As I said, I agree that the refs called it right. I just think the rule should be changed. Human judgement will always be a factor, but it is easier to judge a "tackle" than it is to judge whether the wrist, the elbow, the back of the hand, etc. is touching the ground. But that's just my opinion.

I applaud your objectivity regarding the call though. BTW, what did you think about the inerception that wasn't given to the Ducks in the first half? I think it was a good INT.

Selam
I don't know. It wasn't very clear to me that he had attained and maintained complete control of the ball as he was rolling out of bounds, so I will have to grant the officials the benefit of the doubt on this.
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,083
Reaction score
28
Points
48
Age
41
Very outdated, but that's ok, I'm sure they'll be making a new one in a week or two...  ;D ;D ;D

Insufferable Steelers Fan,

Justin
 

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,083
Reaction score
28
Points
48
Age
41
Why do NFL announcers do their jobs in booths open to the elements? I mean, seriously? What is this, 1954? Even baseball parks have booths in which windows can be installed.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Asteriktos said:
Very outdated, but that's ok, I'm sure they'll be making a new one in a week or two...  ;D ;D ;D

Insufferable Steelers Fan,

Justin
Here's a vid to make you insuffereable Steeler fans suffer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se8ABHcq8g4 :laugh:

BTW, it looks like the great Lake Michigan rivalry is coming back for a third go-round this year in the NFC Championship Game.
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Brady is choking big time. He is danger of losing his 3rd straight playoff game. He was favored in all three games, two of the three he was heavy favorites, none of the three playoff games were on the road.

His happy feet bring back Bledsoe memories. He can't find the hot receiver against the blitz. His pick was as ugly as possible
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Pats came out flatter and tighter than a pancake, and then submerged under the frying pan. What a weak effort. Unbelievable. Believed those last two blow-outs against teams with no future were indicative of Pat's superiority. No hunger.
 

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Joined
Mar 8, 2006
Messages
37,280
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
48
Location
Portland, Oregon
Aposphet said:
Pats came out flatter and tighter than a pancake, and then submerged under the frying pan. What a weak effort. Unbelievable. Believed those last two blow-outs against teams with no future were indicative of Pat's superiority. No hunger.
The Jets' trash talking got to them. ;D
 
Top