• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

The Superfluous Selam Thread

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Sort of like Random Thoughts, but everything must close with a "Selam", no matter how incongruous that "Selam" might be.  For example:

Quoting yourself in your sig line is really lame.

Selam
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,643
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Dominika said:
Can a post be spam
if it ends with "selam"?...
Dominika wins.  :laugh:
 

Luke

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
7,215
Reaction score
70
Points
48
I wonder what selam means?

selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Luke said:
I wonder what selam means?

selam
Selam means "peace".  So like, for example, if I wanted to affect an exotic identity but couldn't actually speak the language of the culture I was appropriating, instead of simply saying "Peace" I might say "Selam".

Selam
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,282
Reaction score
164
Points
63
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Antonious Nikolas said:
Luke said:
I wonder what selam means?

selam
Selam means "peace".  So like, for example, if I wanted to affect an exotic identity but couldn't actually speak the language of the culture I was appropriating, instead of simply saying "Peace" I might say "Selam".

Selam
It is also a sanctification of text, like so much spiritual salt with which St Paul exhorts us to season our grace-filled speech (cf. Col. 4.6).  As the prophet Elisha purified the waters with salt (cf. II Kings 2.21), our posts are purified of their vile filth when we end them with this benediction. 

Selam 
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Paul Sorvino has a surprisingly beautiful singing voice, but he's really let him self get monstrously fat to the point that I'm worried about his health.

Selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
Luke said:
I wonder what selam means?

selam
Selam means "peace".  So like, for example, if I wanted to affect an exotic identity but couldn't actually speak the language of the culture I was appropriating, instead of simply saying "Peace" I might say "Selam".

Selam
It is also a sanctification of text, like so much spiritual salt with which St Paul exhorts us to season our grace-filled speech (cf. Col. 4.6).  As the prophet Elisha purified the waters with salt (cf. II Kings 2.21), our posts are purified of their vile filth when we end them with this benediction. 

Selam
That's deep.

Selam
 

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Joined
Jul 31, 2013
Messages
20,210
Reaction score
363
Points
83
Age
159
Location
The South
Salami, bologna, with cheese and macaroni.

Selam
 

Quinault

Protokentarchos
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
4,979
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
Location
Seattle, WA
My son suffers from explosive diarrhea if he consumes gluten.

Selam
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
Message reads:

SELAM

Message ends.

Checksum 0x368FE

============================================================
Transferring ACS to auxilliary control.  Safe MC controls.  System locked

IST+2401/03/05/19/47
============================================================
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
One time I saw this guy riding a giraffe and he had a button on his foot. I pressed the button and his head opened up and a million tiny helicopters came flying out. Later on he told me he liked ginger beer.

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
TheTrisagion said:
Gebre is a good guy

Selam
Gebre is a true witness to Christ and one of the few that convinced me Christ is the truth. I wouldn't have taken the Orthodox Church seriously without his witness.

Selam
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
On a serious note, as of last night, he was in the hospital for some health issues. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
TheTrisagion said:
On a serious note, as of last night, he was in the hospital for some health issues. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
Lord have mercy! That's awful. Hope its not more complications with his heart.

Sorry guys I don't care to mock Gebre. He deserves better.

Selam
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,486
Reaction score
9
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
TheTrisagion said:
On a serious note, as of last night, he was in the hospital for some health issues. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
Lord have mercy! Get better GMK.

Selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
TheTrisagion said:
On a serious note, as of last night, he was in the hospital for some health issues. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
Seriously?  God be with him and save him through the prayers of the saints.  I lovingly tease Gebre and poke fun at his public persona and foibles, but he knows I love him as a brother.

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Hey Tony why cant I send you a PM?

Selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
nothing said:
Hey Tony why cant I send you a PM?

Selam
I don't really do PMs, especially long PMs, so my settings reflect that, but in your case, I'll make an exception just this once.  Try it now.

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Tony, still saying I'm blocked from sending you a PM

Selam
 

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Joined
Nov 9, 2012
Messages
17,834
Reaction score
17
Points
38
Age
41
Location
PA, USA
Antonious Nikolas said:
TheTrisagion said:
On a serious note, as of last night, he was in the hospital for some health issues. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
Seriously?  God be with him and save him through the prayers of the saints.  I lovingly tease Gebre and poke fun at his public persona and foibles, but he knows I love him as a brother.

Selam
Yes. I'll let him share whatever he chooses when he is able, but he is going through some trials that are far greater than I would be able to handle. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
TheTrisagion said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
TheTrisagion said:
On a serious note, as of last night, he was in the hospital for some health issues. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
Seriously?  God be with him and save him through the prayers of the saints.  I lovingly tease Gebre and poke fun at his public persona and foibles, but he knows I love him as a brother.

Selam
Yes. I'll let him share whatever he chooses when he is able, but he is going through some trials that are far greater than I would be able to handle. Please keep him in your prayers.

Selam
Lord, have mercy.  I'll reach out, and he'll be in my prayers for sure.

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:
Tony, still saying I'm blocked from sending you a PM

Selam
Give me a freakin' minute, kid!  Sheesh!  Count to 30 and then try again.

Selam
Hey you said "Try now!"  :p

Come on Grandpa...

Selam!
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
nothing said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:
Tony, still saying I'm blocked from sending you a PM

Selam
Give me a freakin' minute, kid!  Sheesh!  Count to 30 and then try again.

Selam
Hey you said "Try now!"  :p

Come on Grandpa...

Selam!
;D ;D ;D

Okay, logging in to read what I'm sure is a true gem of a PM now.  This'd better be worth it.

Selam
 

RobS

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
3,918
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:
Tony, still saying I'm blocked from sending you a PM

Selam
Give me a freakin' minute, kid!  Sheesh!  Count to 30 and then try again.

Selam
Hey you said "Try now!"  :p

Come on Grandpa...

Selam!
;D ;D ;D

Okay, logging in to read what I'm sure is a true gem of a PM now.  This'd better be worth it.
;)

Selam
 

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Joined
Dec 4, 2002
Messages
7,237
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
East Coast, USA
nothing said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
nothing said:
Tony, still saying I'm blocked from sending you a PM

Selam
Give me a freakin' minute, kid!  Sheesh!  Count to 30 and then try again.

Selam
Hey you said "Try now!"  :p

Come on Grandpa...

Selam!
;D ;D ;D

Okay, logging in to read what I'm sure is a true gem of a PM now.  This'd better be worth it.
;)

Selam
Selam

And if this PM is going to be a the text Dopple Cooper sent to Diane or something.... :mad:

Selam
 
Top