• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

The Symbolic Structure of the Trisagion Prayers

Hart Ov Agarwood

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of America
Absolutely phenomenal article posted to the Symbolic World yesterday.
Anybody with even a slight interest in liturgics, symbolism, st. Maximus or the confession of the church should take a peek.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
That is one interesting site. I will have to spend some time there.
I found this article: https://thesymbolicworld.com/videos/a-call-to-christian-artists-2/ especially relevant.
One of the hats I wear is that of an "artist"... and this article was sort of a challenge... a call to arms... I am inspired by it.
Thanks for sharing.

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Having worked with chiasm before—and even used it in numerous compositions of my own—this one is a tough sell. I believe that kind of reading works well enough with individual compositions (eg, the Our Father, Beatitudes, and Creed) but usually breaks down once we start talking about more complex rubrics. Those "beginning prayers" are far from universal (and, when used, are not always used in that particular form), their chiasm gets really confusing when applied to the more common forms of Divine Liturgy, etc; even Pr John Breck took it far past where I'd be comfortable (and structured some chiasms in ways I would not have), from what I've read.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
He has a store with interesting items too!Screenshot_20211116-140718.png

Hart Ov Agarwood

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of America
Having worked with chiasm before—and even used it in numerous compositions of my own—this one is a tough sell. I believe that kind of reading works well enough with individual compositions (eg, the Our Father, Beatitudes, and Creed) but usually breaks down once we start talking about more complex rubrics. Those "beginning prayers" are far from universal (and, when used, are not always used in that particular form), their chiasm gets really confusing when applied to the more common forms of Divine Liturgy, etc; even Pr John Breck took it far past where I'd be comfortable (and structured some chiasms in ways I would not have), from what I've read.
Maybe leave him a comment - seems like he’d love to engage with you