• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

The Tree of Life

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
Is it proper to say that the Cross is the new Tree of Life? Just as the old Tree bore fruit that gave eternal life, so the Cross bears the Body of Jesus, which is real food and also gives eternal life. Is it even possible that the "old" Tree of Life was the Cross as well, Jesus' sacrifice being outside of time?

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
Well there are some like St. Gregory of Nyssa who would go so far as to correlate all examples of wood to the cross (i.e. the Tree of Life, the snake and Moses, etc).

So yah I don't think it would be a stretch to call the Cross the "new Tree of Life" but it has to be understood within context. The Cross is a fulfillment of what it truly means to live. Which is dying = which is what Christ did. He made the cross the perfect example of life. Not the cross itself...make any sense?

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
serb1389 said:
Well there are some like St. Gregory of Nyssa who would go so far as to correlate all examples of wood to the cross (i.e. the Tree of Life, the snake and Moses, etc).

So yah I don't think it would be a stretch to call the Cross the "new Tree of Life" but it has to be understood within context. The Cross is a fulfillment of what it truly means to live. Which is dying = which is what Christ did. He made the cross the perfect example of life. Not the cross itself...make any sense?
Are there any online texts by St. Gregory that explain these correlations?

And yes, that makes sense :)

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
I don't have time right now to search texts online but the book you're looking for is "The Life of Moses" by St. Gregory of Nyssa. There are other dogmatic treatises that deal with the same subject...i'll find those out later today.

Maybe someone has the direct links for this topic?

Bizzlebin

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
jbt.name
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Geek
serb1389 said:
I don't have time right now to search texts online but the book you're looking for is "The Life of Moses" by St. Gregory of Nyssa. There are other dogmatic treatises that deal with the same subject...i'll find those out later today.

Maybe someone has the direct links for this topic?
A lot of his works can be found here: http://www.bhsu.edu/artssciences/asfaculty/dsalomon/nyssa/home.html

However, I still can't find "The Life of Moses" online, though :-\

sparrowshell

Reaction score
It's interesting that you bring up this subject because that was Sunday's sermon to our parish by the visiting Archbishop Hilarion ... and that was precisely the point that touched my heart the most. I'd never thought of the Cross as being likened to the Tree of Life. But in essence it is ...

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
i hope this document downloads...let me know if not.  It also has an interesting article on the issue....

Both of them however arn't really want we're looking for, but they have interesting spins on the issue...

www.ssuc.org/sermons/lent2sermon.do

Carpatho Russian

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From the Triodion (Fourth Week of the Great Fast) Monday Vespers, 3rd Stikhera at Psalm 140 ( in Tone 8 ):
"On this day let us bow before the Cross and all say joyfully, Rejoice, new tree of life. Rejoice, scepter of Christ our King.  Rejoice, heavenly glory of mankind.  Rejoice, strength of our faith.  Rejoice, invincible trophy.  Rejoice, vanquisher of the enemy.  Rejoice, radiance of brightness.  Rejoice, glory of martyrs.  Rejoice, strength of the just and holy one.  Rejoice, splendor of angels,  Rejoice, holy Cross of the Lord."

Carpatho Russian

Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From the Triodion (Fourth Week of the Great Fast) Tuesday Matins, 2nd Sessional Hymn ( in Tone 8 ):
"With souls purified by fasting, let us bow before the Cross on which Christ our Savior was nailed, and let us cry out: Rejoice, O delight of those who fast and their firm support. Rejoice, O destoyer of passions and terror of demons. Rejoice, O new tree of life."

Matthew777

Archon
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
By the title of this thread, I thought it referred to evolution's nested hierarchy. Maybe it is true that Charles Darwin intended to replace religion with science.

Peace.

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
Actually i've read a lot of mixed reviews about Darwin's own personal faith. Some articles/books said that he personally didn't have a problem with creation or the theory. He was just looking for something more, as well as exploring his own curiosity of science and the world.

Then again if you read his theories....